Transfer portal - Next positive for CAL?

2,224 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ccajon2
graguna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Were the transfer portal additions and losses a NET positive for CAL?

In: Martin, Tuitele and Langarita

Out: Daniels, Crocker and Samb

CalFanatic
Hell yes. We nabbed experience, size, proven Pac 12 players.

Some of you on this board were VERY salty towards Charmin just a few weeks ago with our transfers. The silence now sure is telling!
wvitbear
On the whole, I would say we came out ahead. The wildcard is Daniels who could blossom into a star.

The Utah commit has had injuries and a lot of Charmin's recruits seem to have injuries.

The Colorado commit is a decent player but not a star. The USF player offers some offense.

But before we praise Charmin, shouldn't we see how this season turns out. Not counting the forfeit, she has won two Pac 12 games in the last two years. I need to see some improvement.
ClayK
Good points -- but compared to Mark Fox, she's thriving.
SFCALBear72
Cailyn Crocker was moving on regardless because she had completed her Haas degree.

Peanut Tuitele will help us right away. Once a thorn in our side with her scoring and defense, she now helps us with those skills.

Langarita and Martin will have an immediate impact as well and help us going forward once Leilani, Jazzy and Eve graduate.

I still think having Jayda Curry and all that she did as a freshman helped to attract these three young women. They want to play with a dynamic scorer like Jayda.
Intuit
An optimistic Bear fan should conclude the player movement will prove to be a positive swap. Cal loses a highly rated yet undeveloped player along with 2 situational players whose contributions were at best wildly variable often very underwhelming during the season.

The influx gives reason to expect the California team will be improved next season. The newcomers offer mature, perfected basketball skills and the physical stature the California team needs to advance in the PAC 12 standings.

These three additions are established veteran players. Each offers Cal significant leadership and maturity with greater physical stature and better offensive and defensive statistics than those they replace.
annarborbear
I remember specifically watching Martin over a two-year period because I wanted to see what a five-star from Utah would look like. She did have one solid streak, but in other games she didn't do much. She did have offers from all PAC12 teams out of high school, so hopefully there is something there. The career 35% shooting percentage and negative assist/TO ratio would definitely need a turnaround.
stu
I think we came out of the transfer tango pretty well.

For various reasons we didn't get much production from the players we lost. I think Dalayah had a ton of potential but I don't know if or when or how far she would have developed. We gained one proven Pac-12 player and two players who might turn out to be pretty good.

I think we'll go into the 2022-23 season with more experience, depth, and balance than I've seen in several years. My one concern is center. If Michelle continues to improve and Sela is back to 100% after two surgeries we should be fine. Without those two we'll be decidedly undersized for Pac-12 competition.
ClayK
"Transfer tango" -- great phrase.

"Portal polka"?

stu
Quote:

But before we praise Charmin, shouldn't we see how this season turns out. Not counting the forfeit, she has won two Pac 12 games in the last two years. I need to see some improvement.
Our OOC record went from 0-3 to 9-2 and our average conference score went from 48-71 to 59-71. I'm sure that's not where any of us want to be but I'd call it improvement.

ClayK said:

Good points -- but compared to Mark Fox, she's thriving.
Totally!

Our men's average conference score went from 63-72 to 61-68, which may not look quite as bad as our women, but their top 3 producers are gone with no replacements in sight.
stu
ClayK said:

"Portal polka"?
Portal potty?
Schroeder71
The Colorado and Utah recruits came from NCAA Tournament teams. bottomline: win conference games!
Ccajon2
CalFanatic said:

Hell yes. We nabbed experience, size, proven Pac 12 players.

Some of you on this board were VERY salty towards Charmin just a few weeks ago with our transfers. The silence now sure is telling!

Guilty as charged. Thank God the rumors I heard about Jayda were wrong, just hopeful tweets from a Tennessee fan.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.