Kristine Anigwe's launches luxury clothing/fashion brand

1,402 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by HoopDreams
FOXO1
How long do you want to ignore this user?

https://www.instagram.com/kaoriginals/

Looks pretty legit! I didn't realize Kristine had such a big presence on social media (70k instagram) nor that she had an interest in fashion and was working on a business/brand. Perhaps the project has its roots overseas as she spends a. lot of time internationally in the W offseason and for the UK national team.

And in other news, Mia Mastrov officially has more followers than the entire UC Berkeley institution on instagram haha (249k vs 242k). Jayda also doing well with building her brand.
https://twitter.com/FOXO1gene
https://www.instagram.com/FOXO1gene/
HoopDreams
Nice fashion!

Are those all WNBA players?

Mia gained about 170k followers the week of a single ballislife post

Social media is huge, and women Athletes have a lot of success there… may be the ultimate gender equalizer… true free market forces may ultimately prove better than Title IX

FOXO1 said:

Looks pretty legit! I didn't realize Kristine had such a big presence on social media (70k instagram) nor that she had an interest in fashion and was working on a business/brand. Perhaps the project has its roots overseas as she spends a. lot of time internationally in the W offseason and for the UK national team.

And in other news, Mia Mastrov officially has more followers than the entire UC Berkeley institution on instagram haha (249k vs 242k). Jayda also doing well with building her brand.
SFCALBear72
Yes, they are WNBA players...Diamond DeShields, Sam Thomas (former U of A star) and Megan Gustafson. I went to the actual tweet and found the names of the models.
CalWSportsFan
HoopDreams said:

Nice fashion!

Social media is huge, and women Athletes have a lot of success there… may be the ultimate gender equalizer… true free market forces may ultimately prove better than Title IX

FOXO1 said:

Well, without Title IX these young women probably wouldn't have had teams to play on…at all. So there's that.
HoopDreams
Agree

IX very important

IX gives more athletes opportunity to continue their sport at the college and pro levels, access to education, and a platform to grow their brand

This last part is what I was referring to mostly. Social media has helped these athletes monetize their brand, so together with Title IX, it's elevated their opportunity

CalWSportsFan said:

HoopDreams said:

Nice fashion!

FOXO1 said:

Well, without Title IX these young women probably wouldn't have had teams to play on…at all. So there's that.
CalWSportsFan
Yes. As a young woman I had zero access to varsity team sports (aside from co-ed tennis team) and only played on recreational league soccer and bball teams until my senior year in high school. When I arrived at college the following year I was able to play on the varsity field hockey, basketball and lacrosse teams…All new teams established the prior year thanks to Title IX. The male athletes at Harvard were a little annoyed that we were allowed in the training room and gym and, our locker facilities weren't exactly premiere until facility upgrade took place…but we had teams to play on and since no schollies existed in the Ivys they couldn't not treat us equally..Growing up I'd played sports whenever I could on my own, but pretty much self-coached by watching the NBA on tv. Title IX was huge…from a virtual desert for girls and women to a a place of hope. I still get frustrated to this day by inequities that persist but I thank goddess for that legislation.
HoopDreams
Thanks for sharing. Good first hand view of before and after

Also, thanks to some Cal athletes who are standing up to make things better still

CalWSportsFan said:

Yes. As a young woman I had zero access to varsity team sports (aside from co-ed tennis team) and only played on recreational league soccer and bball teams until my senior year in high school. When I arrived at college the following year I was able to play on the varsity field hockey, basketball and lacrosse teams…All new teams established the prior year thanks to Title IX. The male athletes at Harvard were a little annoyed that we were allowed in the training room and gym and, our locker facilities weren't exactly premiere until facility upgrade took place…but we had teams to play on and since no schollies existed in the Ivys they couldn't not treat us equally..Growing up I'd played sports whenever I could on my own, but pretty much self-coached by watching the NBA on tv. Title IX was huge…from a virtual desert for girls and women to a a place of hope. I still get frustrated to this day by inequities that persist but I thank goddess for that legislation.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.