Good News on ESPN League Standings

2,358 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mbBear
annarborbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just looked at ESPN's current league standings. Since everyone is 0-0, they are listing the teams in alphabetical order. So we will be opening the season in third place, behind Arizona and Arizona State. Possibly time for a Charmin contract extension.
SFCALBear72
Have you actually met Coach Smith and had a conversation with her since she became head coach?
annarborbear
SFCALBear72 said:

Have you actually met Coach Smith and had a conversation with her since she became head coach?
You should probably have fewer conversations, since it has convinced you that six conference wins in three years is a solid run.
SFCALBear72
annarborbear said:

SFCALBear72 said:

You should probably have fewer conversations, since it has convinced you that six conference wins in three years is a solid run.
And then what? Hide behind a screen name and make snide remarks about someone instead? Nope. Not my style.
annarborbear
SFCALBear72 said:

annarborbear said:

SFCALBear72 said:

And then what? Hide behind a screen name and make snide remarks about someone instead? Nope. Not my style.
Our coach is not a volunteer. She is paid $800K per year to produce results. In the past three years, her record in the conference is 6-37, and one of those wins was a forfeit. I agree she is a nice person. But she has to produce some results this year, or she shouldn't be in the job.
calbear80
annarborbear said:

SFCALBear72 said:

annarborbear said:

SFCALBear72 said:

Our coach is not a volunteer. She is paid $800K per year to produce results. In the past three years, her record in the conference is 6-37, and one of those wins was a forfeit. I agree she is a nice person. But she has to produce some results this year, or she shouldn't be in the job.

+1
wvitbear
Agree with Annharbor Bear. If we can criticize Lindsey who won 5 games last year, why not Charmin? She is paid well and the program has always lost money. And I have 5 season tickets and give a healthy donation.
SFCALBear72
Why the criticism now before the season even starts?

Nobody can fix the past, but they sure can impact the future. The players and coaches are optimistic about playing a FULL season (no cancelled games due to Covid) with a deep roster. Covid and all of the injuries two years ago denied the Bears of more conference wins. How quickly some of us forget.

annarborbear
SFCALBear72 said:

Nobody can fix the past, but they sure can impact the future. The players and coaches are optimistic about playing a FULL season (no cancelled games due to Covid) with a deep roster. Covid and all of the injuries two years ago denied the Bears of more conference wins. How quickly some of us forget.

How about giving us your own performance metrics for our coaching position. What to you would be an acceptable won-loss performance in the league this year and what are you predicting? The PAC-12 coaches are projecting us for 11th.
ClayK
The main question should be if there's someone out there who can do a better job than the person doing it right now.

Charmin Smith is a solid P5 coach. She works hard, she understands the system and her players, as far as I can tell, are fine with her.

Unfortunately for her, she works at Cal, which is a program without any kind of buzz or excitement, and also one with inferior facilities (housing, practice gym). On top of that, the football team is dismal and the athletic atmosphere is stultifying.

There are certainly better coaches than Charmin; there are certainly worse. The issue would be whether Cal could get one of those better coaches to replace her, and if so, how much better the coach would need to be to improve the situation.

The cupboard was completely bare when she arrived, and though the improvement has been marginal, the program is in better shape than it was when she arrived. Unfortunately for her and Cal, at the same time the entire Pac-12 has taken a great leap forward, becoming one of the strongest conferences in the country.

All in all, a difficult situation with no obvious path to significant, positive change. Charmin is an OKG (well, the G part doesn't fit) and that appears to count for a lot with the incompetent AD, so it's hard to see much changing.

annarborbear
What's really sobering is that the one program that we have finished ahead of - Washington - has had the #14 recruiting class in the nation in 2022, and now has the #13 class in 2023. Six solid four-star players, and five of those are from our own state of California. So whatever we are selling, our own in-state players are not buying it.
Finnish Oski
How depressing that this is the type of discussion people are having on the eve of a new season that has so much promise. This should be a time of great optimism and hope with fans speculating over what players will shine this year and who will get the most playing time and what our expectations for the program are. Instead people are sniping at each other about how good a coach we have. Save that for later in the season at which point I for one will be glad to join in.
Go Bears!
annarborbear
I won't post again until mid-year. I have said that we will have to finish in at least eighth place and with a WNiT appearance in order to show any kind of pulse in recruiting and attendance. I will leave it at that.
CalFanatic
I expect this team to be a WNIT team and with a few lucky bounces, maybe more.

Enjoy the ride this season.
FOXO1
annarborbear said:

SFCALBear72 said:

annarborbear said:

SFCALBear72 said:

Does she really makes 800k/year tho??? That's a bit nuts this was her first head coaching job
https://twitter.com/FOXO1gene
https://www.instagram.com/FOXO1gene/
CalWSportsFan
According to state database $520k in 2021…

Barnes, Graves and Tara make 7 figures…

" Tina Langley was just hired by Washington after winning this year's WNIT at Rice. She will make $650,000 her first year with the Huskies in what is just her second head-coaching position and first above the mid-major level.

Langley's salary rivals that of Oregon State's Scott Rueck, who is due to make $662,088 next year and has been to a Final Four, and UCLA's Cori Close, who earns in the same neighborhood three years after taking her team to the Elite Eight. Charli Turner Thorne, who has taken ASU to the Tournament 14 times with two Elite Eight finishes, lives in the same sphere at just over $600,000 per year."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.azdesertswarm.com/platform/amp/basketball/2021/5/5/22420317/adia-barnes-contract-arizona-wildcats-womens-basketball-salary-extension-compare-reasons
Ashfield63
FOXO1 said:

annarborbear said:

SFCALBear72 said:

annarborbear said:

SFCALBear72 said:

Does she really makes 800k/year tho??? That's a bit nuts this was her first head coaching job

I think it is around $500,000 total.......LG was earning close to $700,000 when she left Cal......
GGV
BearBint
So does/did Charmin Smith make $800K per year or $520k? If the latter, where did the $800k figure cited by annarborbear come from? And should we not take the anomalous circumstances produced by Covid into consideration?

Also, according to USA Today, Mark Fox is paid close to $2 million. Cal MBB draws bigger crowds, but 2 million bucks' worth for a team that's been struggling for the last five years? I am still staggered by the adoration, and recompense, automatically awarded men's sports in the USA, whether deserved or not. Some years back, when Cal Athletics were in financial trouble, I innocently/ignorantly asked why the football team couldn't be cut by 25% or so. Given the reaction on Bear Insider, you would have thought I had spit on Baby Jesus.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
stu
BearBint said:

... Some years back, when Cal Athletics were in financial trouble, I innocently/ignorantly asked why the football team couldn't be cut by 25% or so. Given the reaction on Bear Insider, you would have thought I had spit on Baby Jesus.
In some minds football is indistinguishable from religion. Good thing you didn't post that on a Texas board.
HoopDreams
Well a software engineer with 6 years experience make over $300k/year
BearBint
stu said:

BearBint said:

... Some years back, when Cal Athletics were in financial trouble, I innocently/ignorantly asked why the football team couldn't be cut by 25% or so. Given the reaction on Bear Insider, you would have thought I had spit on Baby Jesus.
In some minds football is indistinguishable from religion. Good thing you didn't post that on a Texas board.
I know--I would have been strung up. The only cultural artifact worthy of worship is Buster Keaton's comedy. (Note that his 1927 film "College" describes the nerdy hero's school as "an athletic facility with a university attached.")
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
stu
BearBint said:

I know--I would have been strung up. The only cultural artifact worthy of worship is Buster Keaton's comedy. (Note that his 1927 film "College" describes the nerdy hero's school as "an athletic facility with a university attached.")
Is that the film where he becomes cox'n of the crew? As a rower I almost fell over during the scene where he jumps into the boat and goes through the bottom.
BearBint
stu said:

BearBint said:

Is that the film where he becomes cox'n of the crew? As a rower I almost fell over during the scene where he jumps into the boat and goes through the bottom.
That's the one.
BearPedz
How is everyone feeling about coach Charmin now? I think the offense is vastly improved, only areas of improvement would be low post scoring and free throws. Defensively I think we just need to jell. I've seen some missed assignments, or other fixable issues like close outs/rotations.
stu
I've been happy with Charmin from day one. I'd like to see us recruit a bigger post or two.
wvitbear
Some of the new transfers can really pass. namely Martin, Peanut, and Ortiz.
ClayK
This team is much better than last year's -- the only major program that can make such a claim.
HoopDreams
team is much better and will win more games

but the pac12 is so tough.... 4 teams in top 25, and only losses was a Colorado OT loss to TT and the Cal lose to #7 ND
annarborbear
HoopDreams said:

team is much better and will win more games

but the pac12 is so tough.... 4 teams in top 25, and only losses was a Colorado OT loss to TT and the Cal lose to #7 ND

Our PAC-12 games through January will include Stanford (twice), Arizona, Oregon, Oregon State, UCLA, USC, Utah, and Colorado. By then, we will know if we have reached that level. Still think that Michele will now be the key. We will need some rebounding and defense in the post against that competition. Utah shot poorly in their own game against Idaho, but had 25 offensive rebounds.

ESPN now seems to like USC's chances this year with their seven transfers in. USC is now listed as the first team out in the ESPN bracketology. The Trojans have even recycled well-traveled Destiny Littleton as their starting point guard.
annarborbear
Looks like we are well out ahead of Washington this year. They beat UC Irvine in double over-time 62-60, and Daniels had 23 and 14. But the rest of the team shot less than 30% and they had 28 TO's.
BearBint
Wow. The Puppies have seemed, in the long run, a very erratic program for the last generation or so: either triumphant for a few years or just terrible. (I suppose the same could be said of Cal, but I am not going to say it.)
mbBear
SFCALBear72 said:

Feel like this is lumped in with the football and men's hoop woes. Sure it's results driven, but she didn't inherit a top 3 or 4 team in the conference...a conference which is top 1 or 2 in the country. I'm a fan from afar, but I like the team I saw against Notre Dame. I don't do moral victories, but I think there is growth along a difficult path.
Just my 2 cents... I think she will do it...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.