Stanford crushes Cal State Northridge, 104-40!

2,081 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by annarborbear
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Cardinal had five players notch double figures while HC Tara VanDeveer played a dozen players double-digit minutes tonight. Stanford's height makes scoring inside difficult. They blocked nine shots vs CSUN. bottom-line:
Stanford only turned the ball over six times even though they played their entire bench (14). Unbelievable.
CSN 40, STN 104 - FINAL (statbroadcast.com)
HoopDreams
Schroeder71 said:

The Cardinal had five players notch double figures while HC Tara VanDeveer played a dozen players double-digit minutes tonight. Stanford's height makes scoring inside difficult. They blocked nine shots vs CSUN. bottom-line:
Stanford only turned the ball over six times even though they played their entire bench (14). Unbelievable.
CSN 40, STN 104 - FINAL (statbroadcast.com)

stanford is talented, experienced, deep and well coached

I hate the stanford FB and MBB teams, but I totally respect the stanford WBB team and coach
Intuit
Cal St lost to the tree because they had nothing left after Cal beat them earlier in the week.
Harborview
SFCALBear72
They are also the #2 team in the country.

Next up for CSUN: @ Arizona on 11/13.

Yikes! Hope they're getting some nice pay checks.
polarbear
I totally respect the Furd WBB team and coach as well, but when one team has utter domination over a conference for year after year after year, a lot of fans lose interest since you already know who the champion will be. Since Haley Jones started at Furd and Sabrina left for the WNBA I have watched considerably less WBB than before other than following our team.
Schroeder71
Arizona just defeated CSUN by forty-points, 87-47. Cal registered a thirty-point (86-56) victory.

CSN 47, ARI 87 - 00:00 (PRD 4) (statbroadcast.com)

Wildcats had five players in double figures including two freshmen. 6-4 post Maya Nnaji and 5-8 guard Kailyn Gilbert scored 14 & 16 points, respectively. Impressive!
SFCALBear72
Schroeder71 said:

Arizona just defeated CSUN by forty-points, 87-47. Cal registered a thirty-point (86-56) victory.

CSN 47, ARI 87 - 00:00 (PRD 4) (statbroadcast.com)

Wildcats had five players in double figures including two freshmen. 6-4 post Maya Nnaji and 5-8 guard Kailyn Gilbert scored 14 & 16 points, respectively. Impressive!
What is your point with these score comparisons?

I've seen your complimentary post on Stanford's win over CSUN, now another one for Arizona. Where is your complimentary post on Cal's win last Monday?

Stanford and Arizona are ranked teams. Cal is not. I'd say a 30-point win is quite impressive.
annarborbear
It will be interesting to see how Arizona's pro tryout camp approach does this year. They have lost Lauren Ware to injury, but they do seem to have reloaded with some good transfers and freshmen. Hope that this strategy of intentionally forcing some players out each year does not become the new college model. This is one team I am really rooting against.
Schroeder71
SFCB72-I posted positive commentary after the CSUN game. I thought that it would be cool to post the Stanford. Arizona and Cal results against the same opponent. There was not meant to be any hidden agenda here.
HoopDreams
Schroeder71 said:

SFCB72-I posted positive commentary after the CSUN game. I thought that it would be cool to post the Stanford. Arizona and Cal results against the same opponent. There was not meant to be any hidden agenda here.
I appreciated S71's post about the other Pac12's game vs our common opponent

basketball is all about match ups, but these common opponent comparisons are interesting and relevant to understand where Cal is and where our conference opponents are
Ashfield63
annarborbear said:

It will be interesting to see how Arizona's pro tryout camp approach does this year. They have lost Lauren Ware to injury, but they do seem to have reloaded with some good transfers and freshmen. Hope that this strategy of intentionally forcing some players out each year does not become the new college model. This is one team I am really rooting against.

I have lost all respect for Adia Barnes. Period......
GGV
ClayK
Ashfield63 said:

annarborbear said:

So this is Cal's overall dilemma ...

Adia Barnes, for all her flaws, turned Arizona from a dismal loser to a top-ranked team. But she did so by trampling on the fine line that defines ethical behavior.

If Cal wants success at the P5 level, it has to play the P5 game -- which is just what Barnes did. You want to win? Recruit questionable characters, lower admission standards and do whatever it takes. You want to remain irrelevant? Follow the rules and do the right thing.

Of course a team already at the top can follow the rules and do the right thing, but Cal football and both basketball programs are not even close to the top, and can't be expected to improve dramatically without some serious rule-bending.
annarborbear
ClayK said:

Ashfield63 said:

annarborbear said:

So this is Cal's overall dilemma ...

Adia Barnes, for all her flaws, turned Arizona from a dismal loser to a top-ranked team. But she did so by trampling on the fine line that defines ethical behavior.

If Cal wants success at the P5 level, it has to play the P5 game -- which is just what Barnes did. You want to win? Recruit questionable characters, lower admission standards and do whatever it takes. You want to remain irrelevant? Follow the rules and do the right thing.

Of course a team already at the top can follow the rules and do the right thing, but Cal football and both basketball programs are not even close to the top, and can't be expected to improve dramatically without some serious rule-bending.
If we start acting like getting a college degree is not supposed to be an integral part of college athletics, I think we should fold up shop.
ClayK
Bingo ...

At the elite levels, the integral part of college athletics is winning games, generating revenue and encouraging admissions and donors. Athletes getting degrees are secondary, as is shown by the necessity for the NCAA to put in a rule about graduation rates. (The response, of course, was to create classes for athletes that allowed them to graduate easily.)

The "student" part of "student-athlete" is not an issue for the Alabamas of the world except for living up, one way or another, to the standards set by the NCAA.

If Cal wants to compete at the highest level, it too must abandon the "student" part of "student-athlete" because elite players are only marginally interested in college -- they are focused on their pro careers, no matter what the sport.
annarborbear
ClayK said:

Bingo ...

At the elite levels, the integral part of college athletics is winning games, generating revenue and encouraging admissions and donors. Athletes getting degrees are secondary, as is shown by the necessity for the NCAA to put in a rule about graduation rates. (The response, of course, was to create classes for athletes that allowed them to graduate easily.)

The "student" part of "student-athlete" is not an issue for the Alabamas of the world except for living up, one way or another, to the standards set by the NCAA.

If Cal wants to compete at the highest level, it too must abandon the "student" part of "student-athlete" because elite players are only marginally interested in college -- they are focused on their pro careers, no matter what the sport.

Might be best for colleges just to try to collect money directly from the NFL and the NBA for serving as their farm system. If you are correct, why go through the charade of being anything else. Basically just rent out the stadium, the band, the school colors and the mascot.
ClayK
There's something to be said for that in areas where college sports aren't an integral part of the community ...

But my main point is that to make any moves -- forward, lateral or wherever -- we need to accept and understand the reality of the situation. And the reality is that elite P5 programs are fully professional sports operations, and the athletes are only students insofar as it keeps them eligible.

Of course it's possible to have a student-athlete based athletics program, but not in a Power 5 conference.
annarborbear
ClayK said:

There's something to be said for that in areas where college sports aren't an integral part of the community ...

But my main point is that to make any moves -- forward, lateral or wherever -- we need to accept and understand the reality of the situation. And the reality is that elite P5 programs are fully professional sports operations, and the athletes are only students insofar as it keeps them eligible.

Of course it's possible to have a student-athlete based athletics program, but not in a Power 5 conference.
What will now make college football and basketball really boring is that there are no performance-leveling mechanisms like a draft, a salary cap, or player collective bargaining.
annarborbear
annarborbear said:

ClayK said:

I don't mind players receiving compensation. But what will now make college football and basketball really boring is that there are no performance-leveling mechanisms like a draft, a salary cap, or player collective bargaining. And JuJu Watkins had recently signed a direct endorsement deal with Nike, so she was then limited to signing with a Nike school. So Nike will now also have more power than anything that we can possibly do to try to compete.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.