Dalayah Daniels sparks Huskies to double-overtime win over UCI!

1,995 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by annarborbear
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
She played 42 minutes and scored 23 points and grabbed 14 rebounds for Washington. The winning basket was by fellow soph guard Nobles. She grabbed a dozen boards. I only witnessed a small portion of the game but evidently DD was being used as a high post to pass or score vs the Anteaters.
UCI 60, UW 62 - FINAL (statbroadcast.com)
annarborbear
I posted on another thread that other than Daniels, the Huskies looked really bad. 28 TO's.
Shocky1
schroeder, one thing you learn very quickly with nba scouts, coaches & front office when talking about prospects is that half the conversation is about defense, who can the prospect defend one on one?

dd is a mediocre defender, how many points did the irvine posts score against her, do you got those stats?

daniels offensively is a stats stuffer against mid majors & then often disappears against nationally ranked teams which play a much more physical style of play & then she goes into her shell & becomes kinda sulky/frustrated which drags her teammates down...beyond her points & boards (which were very good) why didn't you mention her 5 turnovers?

wish her luck in seattle with hopefully more family support on gamedays but make no mistake about it cal wbb is better of without her, the decision to forego a berkeley degree will also likely have economic consequences sometime in the future but who knows for sure

the current post rotation of lutje, peanut & michelle along with claudia & sela is a much better rotation than past seasons

stats are important but they don't tell the whole story...if dd plays tough physical d against stanford & also scores 23 points with 14 boards my opinion will be definitely changed at that time
annarborbear
One of the Irvine posts shot 0-5 and the other 6-17.
Shocky1
the most important stat in basketball is who won the game, victories

the huskies just beat a mid major with non p5 talent on their home court by 2 points...that kinda sounds like the cal wbb team of the last couple of seasons

some players like Ionesco make everyone around them better, other players like daniels & gabby green ultimately drag their teammates down with them

last year's other bears post transfer fatou samb played 3 minutes against in the rice victory over st marys with 2 turnovers, she was never 100% committed to the physical conditioning work that is expected on elite teams

look, wish nothing but the best for all those no longer with the program but please understand that they were all encouraged to pursue their dreams away from berkeley & this year's team is mentally tougher & physically taller & stronger as a result of the transfers both in & out of the program
annarborbear
We are better than Washington this year and should beat them pretty easily. But Daniels will not be their weak link from the two games that I have watched. Take a look at some of their games if you want to see what's actually happening.
Shocky1
fair enough annarbor, in that you've actually watched dd this season, if she was still with the bears how would you allocate the 80 minutes of gameday post play among her, lutje, peanut, michelle, claudia & sela?
annarborbear
Shocky1 said:

fair enough annarbor, in that you've actually watched dd this season, if she was still with the bears how would you allocate the 80 minutes of gameday post play among her, lutje, peanut, michelle, claudia & sela?
If Daniels had stayed, I presume that one of our transfers in would not have been recruited. I think she would have been part of a primary three post rotation, and would have double/double potential in most games. On offense her shots don't look quite as strange, and she has some better thought-out ball fakes this year. . She continues to drive to the basket well off of the high post, and Langley seems to clear things out so she can do that. Her defense and rebounding are good against these mid-level opponents, but she can be overpowered. I like how she runs the floor. Not sure how it will work out in the PAC12 since Washington has very little size and she will have to guard the opponent's tallest player. And there will likely be shots that she will still have trouble getting off against taller players. I don't see star potential, but do see regular contributor potential. Overall, I think she also now benefits from a more clearly defined role at UW. She doesn't look like she has to make it up as she goes along. But tougher competition will show whether she can do as well as the season progresses.
Shocky1
we'll have to disagree on this one, seriously doubt coach charmin would play daniels ahead of lutje, peanut or michelle as part of a primary 3 post player rotation based upon her defensive liabilities but like you say let's see how this all plays out
annarborbear
That will be the last Washington game I will watch until the PAC-12 season. I am trying to watch a couple of games of all of the teams we have to beat out in order to move up. USC plays USF this weekend so I will tape or watch on streaming. I am impressed that Lindsay has hired Beth Burns as her Associate Head Coach. Shows that she still wants to learn and get better.
mbBear
Shocky1 said:

schroeder, one thing you learn very quickly with nba scouts, coaches & front office when talking about prospects is that half the conversation is about defense, who can the prospect defend one on one?

dd is a mediocre defender, how many points did the irvine posts score against her, do you got those stats?

daniels offensively is a stats stuffer against mid majors & then often disappears against nationally ranked teams which play a much more physical style of play & then she goes into her shell & becomes kinda sulky/frustrated which drags her teammates down...beyond her points & boards (which were very good) why didn't you mention her 5 turnovers?

wish her luck in seattle with hopefully more family support on gamedays but make no mistake about it cal wbb is better of without her, the decision to forego a berkeley degree will also likely have economic consequences sometime in the future but who knows for sure

the current post rotation of lutje, peanut & michelle along with claudia & sela is a much better rotation than past seasons

stats are important but they don't tell the whole story...if dd plays tough physical d against stanford & also scores 23 points with 14 boards my opinion will be definitely changed at that time

The education component is ridiculous to bring up... Washington is in what, like the top 25-30 ranking on every list possible?
Don't dilute a good argument...if it works out well for everyone, that's great. And just maybe she wanted to stay for the total "Berkeley experience" and was told that wasn't a good idea?
Considering you have traveled the world, maybe some day you will figure it out: the University of California isn't great because everyone else sucks. It's a Blue and Gold bar, we are competing against ourselves.
Shocky1
mb, shocky is a dumb azz
Schroeder71
My observations from watching the fourth quarter and one of the overtime periods. Dalayah Daniels still doesn't have a legit jump shot and seldom jumps on her rebounds. Daniels will have trouble scoring inside against taller opponents in the Pac 12 with her running hook shot.

Dalayah does possess a high bball IQ, however, and moves without the ball to get open for layups, etc. She looked more emotionally involved in Seattle than she did in Berkeley (IMO). Their head coach seems to have appointed her as one of the team leaders along with Van Dyke & Schwartz. She didn't look tired, and she played 42 minutes! Huskies are 3-0.
wvitbear
Last year there was the good Daniels and the bad Daniels. She was saddled with a bad back which when it erupted caused her play to regress. When her back was fine she played great. But it never lasted.
glutton
Do women's players not have to sit out a year after transferring like the men do, or did Dalayah get an exemption to play right away?
stu
I think the rules have changed - now a player doesn't have to sit out a year after the first transfer.
Schroeder71
Washington lost at home to the Santa Clara, 71-58, on Saturday. Dalayah Daniels played only 8 minutes and was scoreless in the Huskies only loss of the season. I wonder if she suffered an injury?
Schroeder71
Dalayah Daniels is not injured. Last night she was the Husky MVP with 17 points, 15 rebounds & 5 blocks in 23 minutes on the floor. DD has become one of the two leaders on Washington's team along with Haley Van Dyke.

Women's Basketball vs Seattle on 11/30/2022 - Box Score - University of Washington Athletics (gohuskies.com)

UDub is 6-1. Their only loss was to Santa Clara University when Daniels played only 8 minutes and left the game w/ zero points. Their coach has done an excellent job of making her indespensible to the team and Dalayah has responded bigtime.
CalFanatic
Schroeder71 said:

Dalayah Daniels is not injured. Last night she was the Husky MVP with 17 points, 15 rebounds & 5 blocks in 23 minutes on the floor. DD has become one of the two leaders on Washington's team along with Haley Van Dyke.

Women's Basketball vs Seattle on 11/30/2022 - Box Score - University of Washington Athletics (gohuskies.com)

UDub is 6-1. Their only loss was to Santa Clara University when Daniels played only 8 minutes and left the game w/ zero points. Their coach has done an excellent job of making her indespensible to the team and Dalayah has responded bigtime.
This forum has some pretty high praise+interesting choice of words for a team that... really doesn't look good.

6-1 is good. Sure. However, the team barely held on to a 2 point win vs Irvine. Can't crack 60 points against Idaho State. Has Daniels really looked that good this season? She put up these numbers against Seattle.

I wonder how some people would talk about this program if we put up these same stats.
SFCALBear72
CalFanatic said:

Schroeder71 said:

This forum has some pretty high praise+interesting choice of words for a team that... really doesn't look good.

6-1 is good. Sure. However, the team barely held on to a 2 point win vs Irvine. Can't crack 60 points against Idaho State. Has Daniels really looked that good this season? She put up these numbers against Seattle.

I wonder how some people would talk about this program if we put up these same stats.
Agreed.

Not sure why some on here continue to monitor her season and give updates. I personally don't care.
She left us...for whatever reason. So be it.

I really like our current team. And Coach Smith "has done an excellent job" of developing chemistry and defining roles.

Go Bears!!
annarborbear
I think there is a problem here with people trying to censor content on the site, as if they are the owners of the site. Why not just present some facts to support your own opinions? Everyone is paying the same rate to be here, and that is what is keeping the site alive financially.

In this case, Daniels was Charmin's highest rated recruit so there is a natural interest in whether she will pan out someplace else. I am interested in that, but also believe we will finish ahead of Washington this year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.