SF Chronicle article on Charmin Smith & Cal women's bball (link)

3,714 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ashfield63
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Charmin Smith knows Cal is getting better, but next step is elusive (sfchronicle.com)

Enjoy! GO BEARS!
BearBint
Seems a pretty fair assessment. I like the observation "The Bears also lacked experience in big moments." Very true and very important: knowing that you've survived before, maybe even won, and therefore can do so again is what builds fortitude.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
gljone
I'd agree that the Bears didn't seize too many moments this season...this team could have at least been .500 or even reversed their record with a break here or there, with some better execution here or there.

I have seen growth and improvement; however, if the Bears do not add quality depth at the post positions they'll continue to compete but most likely will fall short. This conference is too unforgiving.

Or, if Cal has to play small and fast, they'll have to apply much more pressure on the opposing team.

It'll be interesting to follow the progress next season...
HoopDreams
behind the dreaded paywall

summary please?
BearBint
HoopDreams said:

summary please?
Marisa Ingemi, S.F. Chronicle, March 6, 2023

LAS VEGAS Charmin Smith brought four outfits to Las Vegas. Her Cal women's basketball team had won four conference games all season, but she had reason to believe Cal had turned a corner.

Realistically, she knew this season might not extend beyond the Pac-12 tournament, in which Cal was the 10th seed and with a 13-17 record was not bound for the WNIT, either. But this group had taken some steps her other teams hadn't since before the pandemic. A Top 25 win over USC in the final home game marked progress.

"First, it was Oregon State, and it was like OK, we were able to win a Pac-12 game," Smith said. "Then with USC, it was beating a Top 25 (team). I think that gives us a lot of confidence, getting that signature win is a big deal."

The Bears, who lost by fewer than 12 points to Stanford, Notre Dame and Colorado, had been close several times. Their first-round loss to Washington State in the conference tournament was similar; Cal led by as many as nine in the third quarter but couldn't stop the Cougars' push.

That's how this season felt throughout: so close, but lacking the ability to close out.

Some of that was Cal's reliance on sophomore Jayda Curry, who averaged 15.5 points after leading the conference in scoring as a freshman. The Bears also lacked experience in big moments, and depth to hold off a team that could rotate.

"A good friend of mine, Angela Taylor, she told me, 'You can't skip steps in building it.' " Smith said. "And I shared that with the team. It's like, this is our journey, this is our process, we can't skip the steps, even the painful ones."

Cal will bring back Curry as a junior, and senior starting point guard Leilani McIntosh announced she would be back for a fifth season. Starting shooting guard Kemery Martin also will be back as a junior, and 6-foot-4 power forward Claudia Langarita likely will earn a larger role.

Mia Mastrov showed promise in flashes off the bench, four-star prospect Amaya Bonner also should receive more time, and incoming freshman Lulu Laditan-Twidale is a guard who captained the Australian National Under-17 team that qualified for the 2022 FIBA U17 Women's Basketball World Cup.

The path this season for Cal has been a source of frustration, but also hope.

"This team that we have right now would murder last year's team," Smith said. "We're so much better, and next year, we'll be even better. Just keep building it and stay with the process here."

Smith has won 10 combined conference games since taking the job in 2019, right before the pandemic began. The Bears had eight conference games postponed, more than any other team in the conference in 2020-21.
The Bears won't have it easy in a Pac-12 that seems to be getting better. Pac-12 tournament seven-seed Washington State won the conference championship starting with its comeback win over Cal and eight Pac-12 teams are projected to be in the NCAA Tournament.

It still might be a few years away before the Bears see legitimate growth in the Pac-12, but Smith is determined to bring Cal back to relevance. It was a tough job replacing Lindsay Gottlieb, and then the pandemic struck. It's not going to happen overnight.

The theme of nearly every postgame news conference during the season was Smith wanting more time for her team. She didn't get it this time, but did get one thing she wanted: for Cal to be tough to play against, something she tried to instill since the first day of the season.

"It isn't easy playing against Cal," Smith said. "I think everyone in the conference would agree with that. We still have some growth to do and some pieces to put together. But I think we've held our own in this conference."

Marisa Ingemi covers women's sports, hockey, and more for The San Francisco Chronicle. She comes from Seattle via Boston, where she attended Boston University and worked as an NHL beat reporter. She lives with her cat, Noelle, who is from New Hampshire, like her. When not working, Marisa enjoys cooking, going to the movies, and exploring zoos and animal sanctuaries.

Reach Marisa Ingemi: marisa.ingemi@sfchronicle.com; Twitter: @marisa_ingemi

"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
HoopDreams
BearBint said:

HoopDreams said:

summary please?
Marisa Ingemi, S.F. Chronicle, March 6, 2023

LAS VEGAS Charmin Smith brought four outfits to Las Vegas. Her Cal women's basketball team had won four conference games all season, but she had reason to believe Cal had turned a corner.

Realistically, she knew this season might not extend beyond the Pac-12 tournament, in which Cal was the 10th seed and with a 13-17 record was not bound for the WNIT, either. But this group had taken some steps her other teams hadn't since before the pandemic. A Top 25 win over USC in the final home game marked progress.

"First, it was Oregon State, and it was like OK, we were able to win a Pac-12 game," Smith said. "Then with USC, it was beating a Top 25 (team). I think that gives us a lot of confidence, getting that signature win is a big deal."

The Bears, who lost by fewer than 12 points to Stanford, Notre Dame and Colorado, had been close several times. Their first-round loss to Washington State in the conference tournament was similar; Cal led by as many as nine in the third quarter but couldn't stop the Cougars' push.

That's how this season felt throughout: so close, but lacking the ability to close out.

Some of that was Cal's reliance on sophomore Jayda Curry, who averaged 15.5 points after leading the conference in scoring as a freshman. The Bears also lacked experience in big moments, and depth to hold off a team that could rotate.

"A good friend of mine, Angela Taylor, she told me, 'You can't skip steps in building it.' " Smith said. "And I shared that with the team. It's like, this is our journey, this is our process, we can't skip the steps, even the painful ones."

Cal will bring back Curry as a junior, and senior starting point guard Leilani McIntosh announced she would be back for a fifth season. Starting shooting guard Kemery Martin also will be back as a junior, and 6-foot-4 power forward Claudia Langarita likely will earn a larger role.

Mia Mastrov showed promise in flashes off the bench, four-star prospect Amaya Bonner also should receive more time, and incoming freshman Lulu Laditan-Twidale is a guard who captained the Australian National Under-17 team that qualified for the 2022 FIBA U17 Women's Basketball World Cup.

The path this season for Cal has been a source of frustration, but also hope.

"This team that we have right now would murder last year's team," Smith said. "We're so much better, and next year, we'll be even better. Just keep building it and stay with the process here."

Smith has won 10 combined conference games since taking the job in 2019, right before the pandemic began. The Bears had eight conference games postponed, more than any other team in the conference in 2020-21.
The Bears won't have it easy in a Pac-12 that seems to be getting better. Pac-12 tournament seven-seed Washington State won the conference championship starting with its comeback win over Cal and eight Pac-12 teams are projected to be in the NCAA Tournament.

It still might be a few years away before the Bears see legitimate growth in the Pac-12, but Smith is determined to bring Cal back to relevance. It was a tough job replacing Lindsay Gottlieb, and then the pandemic struck. It's not going to happen overnight.

The theme of nearly every postgame news conference during the season was Smith wanting more time for her team. She didn't get it this time, but did get one thing she wanted: for Cal to be tough to play against, something she tried to instill since the first day of the season.

"It isn't easy playing against Cal," Smith said. "I think everyone in the conference would agree with that. We still have some growth to do and some pieces to put together. But I think we've held our own in this conference."

Marisa Ingemi covers women's sports, hockey, and more for The San Francisco Chronicle. She comes from Seattle via Boston, where she attended Boston University and worked as an NHL beat reporter. She lives with her cat, Noelle, who is from New Hampshire, like her. When not working, Marisa enjoys cooking, going to the movies, and exploring zoos and animal sanctuaries.

Reach Marisa Ingemi: marisa.ingemi@sfchronicle.com; Twitter: @marisa_ingemi

thanks for posting. I assume the omission of Michelle was just an oversight.

I think Michelle's continued play, and discipline to stay out of foul trouble (although that's a work in progress) is one of the keys to next season. She has the talent, improved her offense and shooting, and is a plus rebounder.

if she can eliminate the bad fouls she can be a force
I.E.Bear
gljone said:

I'd agree that the Bears didn't seize too many moments this season...this team could have at least been .500 or even reversed their record with a break here or there, with some better execution here or there.

I have seen growth and improvement; however, if the Bears do not add quality depth at the post positions they'll continue to compete but most likely will fall short. This conference is too unforgiving.

Or, if Cal has to play small and fast, they'll have to apply much more pressure on the opposing team.

It'll be interesting to follow the progress next season...

They also have to shoot more and at a higher efficiency if they go the small ball route. Cal's guards are their strength, so I have no issue playing smaller. However the players have to buy in to that system which means rebounding and hitting shots.
smh
thanks 71. author's bio page..
https://www.sfchronicle.com/author/marisa-ingemi/
> Marisa Ingemi covers women's sports, hockey, and more for The San Francisco Chronicle. She comes from Seattle via Boston, where she attended Boston University and worked as an NHL beat reporter. She lives with her cat, Noelle, who is from New Hampshire, like her. When not working, Marisa enjoys cooking, going to the movies, and exploring zoos and animal sanctuaries.
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
stu
If she likes hockey and animals we have Knowlton and Oski
CalFanatic
If we can land an impact post transfer (or two), I have little doubt this team will go from a 13 win team to 17-20 next year.

We return so much talent.
Bobodeluxe
CalFanatic said:

If we can land an impact post transfer (or two), I have little doubt this team will go from a 13 win team to 17-20 next year.

There is no guarantee that a single player will return in the new reality of "college sports".
philbert
smh said:

thanks 71. author's bio page..
https://www.sfchronicle.com/author/marisa-ingemi/
> Marisa Ingemi covers women's sports, hockey, and more for The San Francisco Chronicle. She comes from Seattle via Boston, where she attended Boston University and worked as an NHL beat reporter. She lives with her cat, Noelle, who is from New Hampshire, like her. When not working, Marisa enjoys cooking, going to the movies, and exploring zoos and animal sanctuaries.

I believe she has done a number of stories on Cal women's sports this year.
GATC
Bobodeluxe said:

CalFanatic said:

There is no guarantee that a single player will return in the new reality of "college sports".

True, hope we don't lose anyone. Since Charmin said she is recruiting 4 transfers and we already have one commit, it seems like Karisma is coming back.
blungld
So sad that we went from perennial top of conference finisher to 5 year rebuilding project.
CalFanatic
blungld said:

So sad that we went from perennial top of conference finisher to 5 year rebuilding project.

LG was smart. She had a rough spell of recruiting, lost her best player to transfer and dipped once the cupboard was bone dry. Left a program in shambles and her reward was an NBA gig. If only we could all be so lucky!
SFCALBear72
blungld said:

Oh, if only it was that easy to summarize a complicated situation in one sentence. You must have aced essay exams in school.

Here's an idea. Turn that sadness into happiness and donate to WBB today on Big Give Day.
annarborbear
2011-2015: 58-17 PAC12 Record, with 2nd, 2nd, 1st and 3rd Place Finishes

2019-2023: 10-51 PAC12 Record, with 12th, 12th, 11th and 10th Place Finishes

But it is a complicated situation.
SFCALBear72
annarborbear said:

I bet you just wait for me to post a "supportive message" so you can jump right on and clap back with your infinite wisdom. Don't see you doing that with other posters who express similar viewpoints.

Lucky me.

Curious. Have you ever met Charmin Smith? Spoken to her one-on-one?
GATC
annarborbear said:

can you provide the same information for the 4 seasons in between?

Bobodeluxe
annarborbear said:

If you stand on your head, they're the same.
annarborbear
GATC said:

annarborbear said:

can you provide the same information for the 4 seasons in between?

Sure. 30-42. Part of the downhill run that got us to where are today.
annarborbear
Fox fired after 17-61 in the Pac-12 (22%)

Charmin's four year PAC-12 record = 10-51 (16%).
annarborbear
SFCALBear72 said:

annarborbear said:

I bet you just wait for me to post a "supportive message" so you can jump right on and clap back with your infinite wisdom. Don't see you doing that with other posters who express similar viewpoints.

Lucky me.

Curious. Have you ever met Charmin Smith? Spoken to her one-on-one?
What would she tell me to convince me that 12th, 12th, 11th, and 10th is a good record.? You never include any data yourself in your own comments. I can be convinced with some relevant numbers.

I keep looking at three things:

1. Conference wins and finishes; conference statistics (I.e., defense, rebounding)
2. Recruiting - ESPN Top 100 recruits vs our competitors
3. Attendance

I am not seeing any good news in any of those.
annarborbear
Here are two more coaches with losing records who were let go over the years at the University of Washington:

Tia Jackson
2007-2011: 24-48 in the PAC 12 - 6th, 10th, 6th, 7th

Jody Wynn
2017-2021: 11-58 in the PAC12 - 12th, 11th, 9th, 11th

Both are very good people, Jackson is now a valuable assistant at Duke.

But Washington decided to move forward instead of settling for a losing program.
wvitbear
Lindsey was a nice person too. But that didn't stop people on this site from critisizing her. I have attended practices for years and spoken to both coah=ches. Plus Karen Horstmeyer. All nice people.
Lindsey was a good recruiter till she had her first child. Then she couldn't go on the road and recruit. If you went to the practices you know what I mean.

Getting big people is not easy.
GATC
annarborbear said:

Here are two more coaches with losing records who were let go over the years at the University of Washington:

Tia Jackson

Jody Wynn

But Washington decided to move forward instead of settling for a losing program.

I think Mike Neighbors would have been on that list if he didn't have Kelsey Plum and Chantel Osahor.

If Aari McDonald didn't transfer to Arizona, I'm sure Jody Wynn's record would have been better. She beat us when she was at Long Beach State.
annarborbear
GATC said:

annarborbear said:

Tia Jackson

Jody Wynn

I think Mike Neighbors would have been on that list if he didn't have Kelsey Plum and Chantel Osahor.

If Aari McDonald didn't transfer to Arizona, I'm sure Jody Wynn's record would have been better. She beat us when she was at Long Beach State.
Coaching is both coaching and recruiting. Winning in a tough league, you have to do both. Some of it is luck. But most of the time, you have to attract those better players to your opportunity. Kelsey Plum decided that she would rather play for the Huskies than for us. And that started our decline from the top of the league.
john1953
Also, Ionescu chose Oregon after she chose Cal.

Other good players have left our program mid-career. The question of recruiting and keeping superior competitive players is at the core.

I perceive Charmin is just as interested in the student-athlete's development as socially conscious leaders outside the court as much as winning. When they win at basketball AND life it means something special, That's one more reason I'm a loyal Cal Bear season ticket holder. I don't support coaches who break players down like they are war machines.

I do believe the team is a couple of long athletic INSIDE players away from playing at the top levels. Defense, rebounding, screening and finishing moves near the rim. (Not throwing it up, not streetball.) Of course that's what most teams are seeking, and demand exceeds supply. Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting.

The effort was there. The defense was competitive, the finishes near the rim were not. A couple players seemed stuck as turnover machines without progress, that was frustrating especially after a long grinding season of lessons.

Hope springs eternal. Just ask Washington State.

Ashfield63
john1953 said:

Other good players have left our program mid-career. The question of recruiting and keeping superior competitive players is at the core.

I perceive Charmin is just as interested in the student-athlete's development as socially conscious leaders outside the court as much as winning. When they win at basketball AND life it means something special, That's one more reason I'm a loyal Cal Bear season ticket holder. I don't support coaches who break players down like they are war machines.

I do believe the team is a couple of long athletic INSIDE players away from playing at the top levels. Defense, rebounding, screening and finishing moves near the rim. (Not throwing it up, not streetball.) Of course that's what most teams are seeking, and demand exceeds supply. Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting.

The effort was there. The defense was competitive, the finishes near the rim were not. A couple players seemed stuck as turnover machines without progress, that was frustrating especially after a long grinding season of lessons.

Appreciate your post! It is obvious, the Cal WBB supports the development of its players on and off the court, while Charmin's "Circle" philosophy unites the players. Unfortunately, injured players, Sela Heide, Jazlen Green, Alma Elnitz and jadyn Bush, playing time has been curtailed. However, they continue their studies, and graduate from Cal. I am sure resources are available to support the emotional and psychological health for players. There was an excellent article about Jadyn Bush a few months ago detailing her determination ,and support from Charmin to earn a Master's Degree in Public Policy, a two year program. Both transfer players Peanit and Kemery have expressed their intentions to earn degrees from Cal. Karisma Ortiz, a transfer, contributed on the court this season game after sitting out last year due to a serious injury. How about Leilani MCintosh using the extra year of eligibilty due to Covid to be accepted into the Graduate Program in Education. In this day of the Student Loan obligations, its wonderful players can also obtain a Master's Degree. We all like a winning team, but I congratulate Cal WBB student athletes for their determination and tenacity to become all they can be that will guide them on their journey after leaving Cal. I give Charmin and her staff credit for a program supporting the health, welfare and opportunities available to the players. It's a program of character, inclusiveness, and special to me. The USC game and victory epetomizes all that Cal WBB can be. What a special afternoon at Haas!

UrsineMaximus
CalFanatic said:

blungld said:

LG was smart. She had a rough spell of recruiting, lost her best player to transfer and dipped once the cupboard was bone dry. Left a program in shambles and her reward was an NBA gig. If only we could all be so lucky!
Make no mistake about it, she had a very clear and focused approach to her recruiting. She is solely responsible for her recruiting results. She did not have "...a rough spell of recruiting..". I don't mind that she is gone, as a floor coach ~ she ain't any good.
UrsineMaximus
john1953 said:

I have and do support Charmin for the same reasons as you do, however, she has not recruited well at all. Let's take a simple example: Samb. No way a Pac12 coach gives her a scholarship EVER!! And Charmin's one success: Curry, was a schollie given sight unseen EVER playing a game. Kinda like rolling the dice (but not really as Curry had established herself). Other highly ranked (in WB not sure the rankings are reliable other than the top 2%) players recruited by Charmin haven't been very good.

So, I would say recruiting has been a fail and coaching very marginal.

Still I support CS and will continue to do so, for another year.
CalFanatic
UrsineMaximus said:

CalFanatic said:

blungld said:

Make no mistake about it, she had a very clear and focused approach to her recruiting. She is solely responsible for her recruiting results. She did not have "...a rough spell of recruiting..". I don't mind that she is gone, as a floor coach ~ she ain't any good.
To be fair...Gottlieb had some strong recruiting results, IMO. She just really whiffed on some big names those last two/three years.

She saw the writing on the wall.
UrsineMaximus
CalFanatic said:

UrsineMaximus said:

CalFanatic said:

blungld said:

To be fair...Gottlieb had some strong recruiting results, IMO. She just really whiffed on some big names those last two/three years.

She saw the writing on the wall.
Seems we are in agreement.
wvitbear
I could tell you some stories about Sabrina but I wouldn't tell them on line.
ncbears
john1953 said:

I don't recall Ionescu ever choosing Cal and then changing her mind.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.