Utah fortunate to advance to Sweet 16

2,909 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Schroeder71
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Princeton outplayed Utah. They played the best defense that I have seen
this season against the Utes on their home court. The Tigers produced a
blueprint on how to shutdown Utah's offense.
annarborbear
If we had a real AD, we could make Princeton head coach Carla Berube an offer. A former UConn great.
stu
Also Stanford is down 29-20 at halftime. 12 TO and out-rebounded 25-16.
ncbears
three Furd turnovers in last 30 seconds... Ole Miss leads by 4 with 10 seconds to go.

Final Ole Miss 54 Furd 49.
annarborbear
WVIT has been right about Stanford's guards not being as good this year. Has led to too much reliance on Jones and Brink, who shot a combined 12-32 in this one.
HoopDreams
ole miss won the game on defense, and those 3 forced turnovers (21 overall) was a fitting ending

Brink tried to keep them in the game with blocks, free throws (10-10) and rebounds (13) which is commendable considering she's been very sick (missed first game)

stanford showed they were vulnerable this season, and it's probably not been their best game. Will be interesting to see if Brink (junior) and/or Jones (has the extra covid year) return

but stanford has strong depth and great recruiting classes so they will remain on top of the Pac12 regardless

Utah also won (not surprised with their shooting), but overall the Pac12 hasn't performed that well
stu
A general problem I'm seeing with the Pac-12 teams is they don't seem to be able to handle the defenses they're seeing in the Tournament. Maybe we're not a good defensive conference. Today in second-round games Stanford scored 49, Utah 63, and Arizona 64; they had 21, 20, and 18 turnovers.
HoopDreams
stu said:

A general problem I'm seeing with the Pac-12 teams is they don't seem to be able to handle the defenses they're seeing in the Tournament. Maybe we're not a good defensive conference.
true on the mens and womens side.

I think it goes back to the pac12 refs. The other conferences allow more contact, so when pac12 teams play them in the tournament where it's one and done, the pac teams aren't used to it offensively and defensively

I was shocked how good ole miss's defense was
GATC
HoopDreams said:

ole miss won the game on defense, and those 3 forced turnovers (21 overall) was a fitting ending

Brink tried to keep them in the game with blocks, free throws (10-10) and rebounds (13) which is commendable considering she's been very sick (missed first game)

stanford showed they were vulnerable this season, and it's probably not been their best game. Will be interesting to see if Brink (junior) and/or Jones (has the extra covid year) return

but stanford has strong depth and great recruiting classes so they will remain on top of the Pac12 regardless

Utah also won (not surprised with their shooting), but overall the Pac12 hasn't performed that well

21 turnovers, 7 assists. Lost 3 of the last 5 games. Not great for having great recruiting classes all these years.
SFCALBear72
HoopDreams said:

stu said:

A general problem I'm seeing with the Pac-12 teams is they don't seem to be able to handle the defenses they're seeing in the Tournament. Maybe we're not a good defensive conference.
true on the mens and womens side.

I think it goes back to the pac12 refs. The other conferences allow more contact, so when pac12 teams play them in the tournament where it's one and done, the pac teams aren't used to it offensively and defensively

I was shocked how good ole miss's defense was
The Utah-Princeton game had a Pac12 ref. None other than Melissa Barlow. Ugh!. Sure enough, Constant whistles.

Ole Miss took South Carolina to overtime before falling by 7 in Oxford earlier this season.
I.E.Bear
HoopDreams said:

I believe Jones has already said she will not be back for her COVID year. She'll enter the draft and probably go 2 or 3.
HoopDreams
I.E.Bear said:

HoopDreams said:

I believe Jones has already said she will not be back for her COVID year. She'll enter the draft and probably go 2 or 3.
great player, but needs to improve her shooting
SBGold
HoopDreams said:

I.E.Bear said:

HoopDreams said:

she always annoyed me, will be glad not to see her again
I.E.Bear
HoopDreams said:

I.E.Bear said:

HoopDreams said:

I love to watch Haley play and I will be supporting her in the W, but a consistent short jumper at the next level is a must. The fact that she didn't develop one in college is interesting to me.
blungld
I hate to admit it, but I like Brink and rooted for her.
stu
Colorado beat Duke in OT to make the Pac-12 look a little better.

Duke's Celeste Taylor had an insane stat line: 8 points, 11 rebounds, 8 assists, and 10 steals
I.E.Bear
Can we do one post season thread?

I was so invested in that game. I wanted Colorado to win so bad. The refs were horrible though. Calling a foul when there was no contact was just too much for me.

I do like Quay Miller. She is just a complete player and gives her team whatever they need for that game. Colorado faces Iowa next.
stu
The refs in the UCLA-Oklahoma game were horrible. Touch fouls, no-touch fouls, whistle on every play. The stats say 55 fouls were called!

But UCLA hangs on 82-73 to give the Pac-12 three teams in the Sweet Sixteen.
BearBint
"But UCLA hangs on 82-73 to give the Pac-12 three teams in the Sweet Sixteen."

And how strange that one of them isn't Palo Alto.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
SFCALBear72
Outside of rooting for the 3 Pac-12 teams, I've put Ole Miss on my "sentimental" favorite list. I remember when they came to Haas last season for the Raising the B.A.R. tournament. They had Shakira Austin then. She's now in the WNBA. That was a tough matchup for the Bears. Right, Palo Alto??

FYI. Miami has the Cavinder twins (formerly of Fresno State).
polarbear
I was cheering heartily for Ole Miss, good to see Furd go down (sorry if that's bad for our league but Furd has been there enough!). Also loved the Pac12 championship game, cheers to WSU for their first title and their first title in any sport mens or womens in over 20 years. I really admire the WSU coach. That was where I was hoping our team would get to by now, I thought we were very capable of 3-4 additional conference wins, then anything is possible and Curry stays with us.
stu
Utah just lost a close game to LSU by missing free throws in the last few seconds.

Johnson shot 2-9, 0-3 on threes, and 1-4 on free throws. Pili had 5 fouls and 6 turnovers.
annarborbear
That's how you win in today's college game. You bring in top portal transfers like Mulkey did in Reese and Williams.
UrsineMaximus
Did Kim Mulkey raid a drag queen's closet for that outfit she wore tonight. Goodness me!!

On a more serious note, Cal is just light years away from a Sweet 16.
stu
Colorado lost to Iowa and UCLA has to play South Carolina tomorrow. Not the best year for the Pac-12.
Schroeder71
I'm beginning to think that the Pac 12 is not the best women's basketball conference anymore. Seven teams make the NCAA Tournament and none advance to the Elite Eight? Oregon might advance the farthest in the WNIT.
annarborbear
Schroeder71 said:

I'm beginning to think that the Pac 12 is not the best women's basketball conference anymore. Seven teams make the NCAA Tournament and none advance to the Elite Eight? Oregon might advance the farthest in the WNIT.
Oregon's next WNIT game is now against Washington, and it will be a home game for the Huskies in Seattle. So don't count out the Huskies. Daniels goes for 17 points in their most recent win against Kansas State.
Ashfield63
stu said:

Utah just lost a close game to LSU by missing free throws in the last few seconds.

Johnson shot 2-9, 0-3 on threes, and 1-4 on free throws. Pili had 5 fouls and 6 turnovers.

Sad Loss for Utah vs LSU........feel badly for Jenna Johnson
The game showed what a nationally competitive WBB program
Lynn Roberts has developed at Utah. It's great to see another
team besides Stanford receiving a high seeding in the tournament.
The Pac-12 will be stronger next season, but there will be great teams
to beat to make it to The Elite 8.
stu
I agree. When Utah has all cylinders firing they're awesome.
really
stu said:

Roberts would never be able to succeed at Cal -- what a terrible decision to stop practicing free throws right before the Sweet Sixteen....
HoopDreams
stu said:

I agree. When Utah has all cylinders firing they're awesome.
Utah has the best looking offense in the Pac 12, largely because they have shooters at every position and runs a beautiful offense

closest thing to the Warriors I've seen in the Pac 12
annarborbear
Washington over Oregon in WNIT Great Eight game. Daniels with 14 points and 12 rebounds. Ladine with 16 points, 6 assists and 9 rebounds.
Schroeder71
Huskies have beaten the Ducks multiple times this season. Elle Ladine is blossoming into a star.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.