Aquira DeCosta to Baylor

5,060 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 85 Fly
SFCALBear72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No surprise here.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/20970976/aquira-decosta-stockton-st-mary-makes-verbal-commitment-kim-mulkey-baylor-lady-bears?addata=espnw:womenbb:index
ClayK
A bit of a surprise, as many thought she'd wind up at USC. But for Cal, better DeCosta in Waco than in Watts.
85 Fly
Now that it is official I can say this much: It was between Baylor and South Carolina (she was torn)..I have even more respect for Coach Stayley and how she handled the news...
I too, during the process, (once Cal was taken off the list) believed it was going to be between USC and South Carolia, but like I said in another post (regarding K.J.) you just never know (things can change) until after they complete all the official visits. I wish Aquira all the best and I'm with Clay: if not Cal better she commit to a school outside the Pac 12! Lol
GATC
Interesting. When I was watching South Carolina in the tournament, I was thinking that she would be a good fit there - not that they need any help.
patsweetpat
85 Fly said:

Now that it is official I can say this much: It was between Baylor and South Carolina (she was torn)..I have even more respect for Coach Stayley and how she handled the news...
I too, during the process, (once Cal was taken off the list) believed it was going to be between USC and South Carolia, but like I said in another post (regarding K.J.) you just never know (things can change) until after they complete all the official visits. I wish Aquira all the best and I'm with Clay: if not Cal better she commit to a school outside the Pac 12! Lol
I disagree. I like it when elite west coast talent stays in the Pac. Makes the conference stronger, and the added talent makes the games more fun to watch. My Bruins fell off Aquira's list quite a while ago (if we were ever on it), but I'd still've preferred her to have gone to USC than to Baylor.

Still, obviously, it's her choice to make, and I wish her the best in Waco.
stu
patsweetpat said:

I like it when elite west coast talent stays in the Pac. Makes the conference stronger, and the added talent makes the games more fun to watch.

Iris Junio is coming in, all the way from Spain.
wbbilluminati
I too believe it is better for our program to lose top West Coast talent to rival schools than to perennial powers out of the region.

I know others, including some coaches in the conference, have said they'd rather that a targeted recruit whom they aren't able to sign go to a school that they won't have to face (e.g. outside the Pac-12), rather than a conference rival. But coaches and fans have different prerogatives.

I think recruits are attracted to the competition and rivalries, too. I wouldn't be surprised if the momentum with #1 Collier switching to Texas (among other great gets) was part of Baylor's pitch in landing DeCosta & Grayson-Scott (to spoil their conference rival's moment).
ncbears
bump
calbear80
Now (Oct. 30 or 31, 2019) is news came out that she is transferring out of Baylor. Do we have any chance of getting her?

Go Bears.
SFCALBear72
Acquira DeCosta played on the same St. Mary's Stockton team as Mi'Cole Cayton as well as in-coming transfer, Naje Murray.

How much influence would that have on her next school decision??
Lone Star
SFCALBear72 said:

Acquira DeCosta played on the same St. Mary's Stockton team as Mi'Cole Cayton as well as in-coming transfer, Naje Murray.

How much influence would that have on her next school decision??
I would say absolutely NONE! It was the same premise that Louisville had when they recruited her best friend Loretta Kakala who eventually transferred out to Pacific.

I do believe that she will be coming back to the west coast and PAC-12 (I am calling it now). Just not CAL and not Stanford.
85 Fly
*** I'm back, its been a minute...*** First, happy holidays to everyone!

I'm just now going through recent months threads so forgive me if I'm repeating old information: Aquira DeCosta was thinking about a Pac 12 school that was on her short list when she initially picked Baylor. Her plan was to come back to CA, and after taking a visit she went with her heart/fit, she is at LMU-it is on her Twitter account.
I know she had a lot of other big name programs reach out to her with interest, but as of right now I can't say what went into picking LMU...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.