Final Four

2,729 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by willtalk
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Two overtime games! What more could a fan ask for?

Mississippi State's McCowan set a Final Four record with 25 rebounds (while playing all 45 minutes). Again, wow!

I'm pleased to see two teams other than Connecticut in the finals, but I wonder how Notre Dame shot 23 free throws and Connecticut 6. BTW I hope the Connecticut fans aren't calling for Geno to be replaced.
BearBint
Four very fine teams, two exciting O.T. games. I'm delighted at the prospect of an MS State-Notre Dame final, and just hope it won't be anticlimactic after tonight's thrills.
stu
Notre Dame scored only 3 points in the 2nd quarter and has 12 turnovers at the half. Imagine what we would hear on this board if Cal came up with those numbers.
SFCALBear72
And now they are National Champions!!
pearbear
That was am amazing Final Four!

Notre Dame just never gave up, no matter how far they fell behind. Great toughness!
BearBint
I was rooting for the Bulldogs, but had to admire N.D. (who've lost several players, including Lili Thompson, to ACLs this season, hence their short bench). McGraw is a very canny coach.
wifeisafurd
Thought the women had 3 great games to finish Hopefully this spurs more interest.
stu
I left at halftime and noticed Mississippi State's center McCowan had 2 fouls and Notre Dame's center Shepard had 3. But in the final box score McCowan had 5 fouls and Shepard still 3, plus a lot more points. What happened there?
HoopDreams
stu said:

Two overtime games! What more could a fan ask for?

Mississippi State's McCowan set a Final Four record with 25 rebounds (while playing all 45 minutes). Again, wow!

I'm pleased to see two teams other than Connecticut in the finals, but I wonder how Notre Dame shot 23 free throws and Connecticut 6. BTW I hope the Connecticut fans aren't calling for Geno to be replaced.

You ask 'what more could a fan ask'?
Well, you got it.

Arike Ogunbowale's two 3 point buzzer beaters to take down UConn and Mississippi will be legendary
Not sure I've ever seen such clutch shots in back to back games on the biggest stage, and both were super difficulty shots with defenders right there

I left to play pickup after seeing ND was down 10, and was surprised to see they won from the scoreboard later. Should have stuck it out and finish the game
wvitbear
About a month ago, I watched Notre Dame get blown out by Louisville by 30 points. I said they will never win a national championship. How things change.
wifeisafurd
stu said:

I left at halftime and noticed Mississippi State's center McCowan had 2 fouls and Notre Dame's center Shepard had 3. But in the final box score McCowan had 5 fouls and Shepard still 3, plus a lot more points. What happened there?

She had an intentional foul for her fifth foul that at the time the broadcasters said may saved the game for So. Miss. She basically tackled a dribbler with 3 seconds left before they threw a pass to a wide open ND player under the basket. The other 2 fouls I recall were on Notre Dame drives, where the smaller offensive player tried to draw contact and get a call.

To me, the big change was ND went to effective zone, and attacked the So. Miss interior on offense. Really good technical game with two excellent basketball minds as head coaches.
willtalk
While you have to give ND a lot of credit for accomplishing what they did under their circumstances, they did get a lot of breaks as well. The officiating was generally bad all around. Still there was one non call that pretty much gave the game to ND. Marbery fouled Williams as she was passing to a fast breaking teammate causing a turn over in the final seconds. It pretty much was a basket saving foul like the one McCowan committed right after the non called turnover. She ran into her from behind hitting Williams arm as she was passing and knocking her to the ground and no call. To win a Naty requires the right matchups, and a lot of luck.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.