Projections for next year?

2,741 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by stu
CalFanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With Cayton back/healthy plus the addition of All-American Mckenzie Forbes, what are your projections for next season?

I think it would be realistic to finally make it back to a Sweet 16 and Top 4 finish in conference. However, we need to play smart- something Coach G's teams rarely do. Hoping the savvy ball handling of Forbes and an experienced Kianna Smith helps change this. She was brilliant during parts of the season.

Starting Line Up

PG- Kianna Smith (SO)
SG- Asha Thomas (SR)
SF- McKenzie Forbes (FR)
C- Kristine Anigwe (SR)
(TBD) ??

Could we potentially have a three Guard Lineup with Cayton, Smith and Thomas? If we land a transfer like Overbeck, she could potentially start as a PF.

Conference Projections

1. Oregon
2. OSU
3. Stanford
4. Cal
5. UCLA
6. USC/ASU
------------
Everyone Else
blungld
I think 3 guards or Brown at PFish.
SFCALBear72
CalFanatic said:

With Cayton back/healthy plus the addition of All-American Mckenzie Forbes, what are your projections for next season?

I think it would be realistic to finally make it back to a Sweet 16 and Top 4 finish in conference. However, we need to play smart- something Coach G's teams rarely do. Hoping the savvy ball handling of Forbes and an experienced Kianna Smith helps change this. She was brilliant during parts of the season.

Starting Line Up

PG- Kianna Smith (SO)
SG- Asha Thomas (SR)
SF- McKenzie Forbes (FR)
C- Kristine Anigwe (SR)
(TBD) ??

Could we potentially have a three Guard Lineup with Cayton, Smith and Thomas? If we land a transfer like Overbeck, she could potentially start as a PF.

Conference Projections

1. Oregon
2. OSU
3. Stanford
4. Cal
5. UCLA
6. USC/ASU
------------
Everyone Else
I strongly disagree with that statement. What's the basis for such a conclusion?

What makes you think Kayla Overbeck would come here? Were we one of her final choices before she selected Vanderbilt? She's from Ventura County, so UCLA could also be a potential school for her. Or SC. I believe she'd have to sit out a year before becoming eligible at Cal or anywhere else. She's not leaving Vanderbilt because of a coaching change.
CalFanatic
We were one of three finalists for Overbeck.

You really consider Cal as a team that "plays smart"? Seriously? We are incredibly athletic. We play with heart. But you seriously, with a straight face, think that we are a team that doesn't turn the ball over way too much? Do you remember our complete and utter meltdown vs. Oregon last year? Our multiple overtime game vs UCLA that was only extended because of our mental errors? We are a program with many strengths and should be honest about these AND our weaknesses.

I have hope going into next year- with Forbes coming in.
CalFanatic
blungld said:

I think 3 guards or Brown at PFish.
I'd love to see the 3 guard lineup in action. We do have 3 very, very talented guards.
wvitbear
Not only do we have three talented guards but we have 3 talented point guards. We will have to rotate them to rest them and adjust if there is foul trouble.
stu
CalFanatic said:

Starting Line Up

PG- Kianna Smith (SO)
SG- Asha Thomas (SR)
SF- McKenzie Forbes (FR)
C- Kristine Anigwe (SR)
(TBD) ??
My guess is Kristine, Asha, and Kianna will start. I'm not sure we'll settle on a starting 5 but I expect Jaelyn, CJ, Mi'Cole, Alaysia, and Kenzie to be in the regular rotation.

CalFanatic said:

Conference Projections

1. Oregon
2. OSU
3. Stanford
4. Cal
5. UCLA
6. USC/ASU
------------
Everyone Else
I agree Oregon is likely to be on top and Stanford will be good, but after those I have no idea.
GATC
I hate to say it but Oregon does appear to be the favorite and Rueck appears to have players coming in that could make them co-favorites. I'm not that impressed with Stanford and losing McPhee will be a big loss. UCLA loses Canada and Billings and USC loses Simon but Mariya Moore become eligible. ASU has a pretty young team and I don't think they lose anyone of significance. Arizona could be much better this year and we struggled against them. Utah will have a senior laden team. I don't know what happened to Colorado but we had trouble against them and they played Utah even. Washington could be much better as they develop into a team instead of a one man show. WSU had a coaching disaster. Don't know if they can recover from that. To be honest, I don't think there is much difference between the 3rd best team and the 11th best team. Where we finish next year will depend a lot on Anigwe's health, temperament and defense. We could improve our chances if run more IMO.
BearPedz
I wouldn't be surprised if CJ started at center with Anigwe at the 4. We have Styles and Brown that can both sub in at the 4 like Mikayla did towards the end of this season. Anigwe can stretch the floor (more 3's please) and give us a big advantage in rebounds. I agree that our strength next year will be guard/wing depth, but after CJ's performance against Virginia I think she should start. Just think, how would they double/tripple team Anigwe with shooters on the outside and CJ taking up a post defender?
Very excited for next year!
Go Bears!
stu
BearPedz said:

We have Styles and Brown that can both sub in at the 4 like Mikayla did towards the end of this season.
I could also see Mo getting some minutes at forward. She's a good defender and rebounder who can also score on putbacks.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.