Good news

29,079 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CalFanatic
wvitbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been on the road for two weeks. North Carolina and Virginia. Have read a lot but couldn't post as I forgot my password.

The person I came up with, and I have no inside knowledge, would be my dream player that would fit in well with this team. And that would be Megan Huff of Utah. She is a red shirt junior so has spent her four years in college. So, I think she would be eligible. And what a player. Can rebound, shoot, and handle the ball. And she is 6'3".

Of course this could be far from the truth.
MoragaBear
Staff
When I got word, it was supposedly days away from being public or I'd have waited to say something.

Patience....
Schroeder71
MB-how long does the average admissions process take? In the future, please don't let us know anything until the decision is eminient. It's a good way for you to get us to check the website in the morning and in the evening daily but it's a waste of time and a downer for us. This website has been "dead in the water" for months so even the smallest glimmer of hope awakens fans. Gottlieb does not have lots of recruiting prospects " in the wind" like most other sites do so the "off season" is agony (summer doldroms) for the fans.

I recently reviewed the recruiting for all Cal sports and believe me the vast majority of our teams are much busier and have more recruiting activity going on than does women's bball. I feel that this coaching staff is set in its way and is rolling the dice bigtime for the success/failure of this program. Kristine Anigwe & Asha Thomas-arguably the top two Bear players-will depart in 12 months and this team will no longer have a All-American star player. Unless existing players step up to fill the void, it is quite easy to envision this team sinking to the bottom of the conference. If Gottlieb's team accomplishes nothing significant during KA's four year career in Berkeley-it's time to clean house and bring in ALL NEW BLOOD that will work harder for a resurgence of the program. She has shown an inability to close the bigtime recruits and/or transfers like Ionescu & Mariya Moore and will have a final opportunity with Haley Jones during the upcoming season. There has been too little success for the staff to give the impression of complacency and "hope" for a transfer. C'mon-make something happen with hustle and enthusiasm (entheos means full of God)! GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
I have VERY high hopes for this upcoming season. Will be the best team since our FF. After this season? Woof... I too am worried about recruiting.

A few local wins (Jones and Jackson) and pulling one or two of the phenomenal guards from SoCal will definitely change that. Lot of opportunity for playing time for any 2019 recruits...Good luck on the recruiting trail!
wbbilluminati
MoragaBear said:

When I got word, it was supposedly days away from being public or I'd have waited to say something.

Patience....

Can you tell us if it's a grad transfer, late 2018 signee (international?), or an underclassman who will be getting a hardship waiver to play immediately?
MoragaBear
Staff
It's a grad transfer, waiting on admissions. Would be surprised if there are any problems.
Kookiebean
Inquiring Minds want to know.
Kookiebean
wvitbear said:

I've been on the road for two weeks. North Carolina and Virginia. Have read a lot but couldn't post as I forgot my password.

The person I came up with, and I have no inside knowledge, would be my dream player that would fit in well with this team. And that would be Megan Huff of Utah. She is a red shirt junior so has spent her four years in college. So, I think she would be eligible. And what a player. Can rebound, shoot, and handle the ball. And she is 6'3".

Of course this could be far from the truth.
Sorry, But Megan Huff is not leaving Utah.
Kookiebean
Can't wait to see who it is. Get better Pac-12, get better!
MoragaBear
Staff
It's not her anyway
annarborbear
Our coaches have had their best results when the team has had deluxe rebounders to clean up missed shots. A reliable three point shooter would be nice. But that would require another system change. So hope that it will be a very solid, tall frontline rebounder and defender.
patsweetpat
Hope you guys get someone good!
ClayK
Reece Caldwell is the answer, I'm pretty sure ...

Caldwell was a bigtime recruit for UCLA and transferred to Texas Tech. She was known as a shooter, but only played half the season last year and hit 24.1% of her threes.

If she can recover the magic of her prep days -- though I have to say I was never as impressed as others when I saw her at USA Basketball -- she could be a big perimeter add.
CalFanatic
Reece seems like a logical choice given her last season at TT. Cal was a finalist for her too.
stu
ClayK said:

Caldwell was a bigtime recruit for UCLA and transferred to Texas Tech. She was known as a shooter, but only played half the season last year and hit 24.1% of her threes.

If she can recover the magic of her prep days -- though I have to say I was never as impressed as others when I saw her at USA Basketball -- she could be a big perimeter add.
I have some reservations:

After a few lean years we should be pretty deep on the perimeter with Asha, Mi'Cole, Kianna, Jaelyn, Kenzie, and possibly Sara. However we have only two proven bigs, Kristine and CJ. I'd rather have another rebounder than a logjam at guard.

I'm curious about why Reece left UCLA and now wants to leave Texas Tech. Perhaps Pat could shed some light on this.

Finally I wonder if Reese would be admitted to grad school at Cal.
willtalk
Is she bigger than a breadbox?
pearbear
Staff
If I recall correctly, Caldwell left UCLA to join her father, who got assistant coach job at Texas Tech.

Interestingly, I believe her sister will be playing for USC...
patsweetpat
Reece' announced her departure from UCLA and almost-immediately thereafter her dad was announced as a new assistant coach at Texas Tech and almost-immediately thereafter Recee' announced her transfer to Texas Tech. Make of that sequence of events what you will.

In any event, Recee's dad is no longer an assistant coach at Texas Tech.
Schroeder71
Reece Caldwell would be Cal's fourth guard along with Asha Thomas, Kianna Smith & Mi'cole Cayton. All four have been point guards in their careers which might improve our ball-handling and lower our Achilles heel, turnovers. Kenzie Forbes will be a SF along with Jaelyn Brown. Jaelyn may have to play inside more to help with rebounding...The girl can jump. I do agree that the Bears need another big but perhaps Alayshia Styles can add ten pounds of muscle and play inside as a PF. GO BEARS!
OBear073akaSMFan
ClayK said:

Looks like MB have not confirm or deny. Must be true then!
puget sound cal fan
If Caldwell is becoming a Bear, she'd be a good pick-up. However, adding another Guard will not cure the Bears need for bigs given the class structure of the roster, and projected losses to graduation.
SFCALBear72
puget sound cal fan said:

If Caldwell is becoming a Bear, she'd be a good pick-up. However, adding another Guard will not cure the Bears need for bigs given the class structure of the roster, and projected losses to graduation.
She would be a grad transfer and be eligible for 2018 season - one year of eligibility. Her addition doesn't impact 2019 recruiting.
blungld
I hope this isn't go the way of men's transfer...and Brown...and Harris...could use some good news.
wbbilluminati
blungld said:

I hope this isn't go the way of men's transfer...and Brown...and Harris...could use some good news.

FWIW, Coach G and Reece are Tweeting each other...

Also, I peeped Reece's Instagram and she posted having graduated from Texas Tech w/ some type of business major a couple days ago. She happened to mention a B+ average she achieved while crediting a friend/classmate's support, so seems to be in good academic standing, too.
GATC
stu said:

ClayK said:

I have some reservations:

After a few lean years we should be pretty deep on the perimeter with Asha, Mi'Cole, Kianna, Jaelyn, Kenzie, and possibly Sara. However we have only two proven bigs, Kristine and CJ. I'd rather have another rebounder than a logjam at guard.

I'm curious about why Reece left UCLA and now wants to leave Texas Tech. Perhaps Pat could shed some light on this.

Finally I wonder if Reese would be admitted to grad school at Cal.

I agree with you, ClayK and S71. She was a decent-good player on a terrible team that would have finished last if they were in our conference. She plays a position that is already crowded. We desperately need a solid big. I seriously doubt that it is Caldwell.
annarborbear
So what was the best women's team in recent memory that beat others while playing small ball? May need to break out the tapes to see if we can learn to replicate that style. It probably requires some very good three point shooting.
Schroeder71
High school teams have been able to win without a post player. Pinewood is the obvious example with five guards out beyond the three point line. The Panthers defeated St Marys of Stockton on two different occasions on the road. They also upset the #1 ranked team in the nation, Archbishop Mitty, to become Nor Cal champs.

In Div I college ball, I have seen undersized teams that may play four wings/guards and one post player. You're correct, however, that such a team makeup would require three point bombers on the outside. It also would be beneficial if the guards had good foot speed and could beat their defenders off of the dribble to the basket or draw a foul.

Cal has two 6-4 post players but it's doubtful that they could play at the same time. KA is foul prone and spends significant minutes on the bench virtually every game. The Bear guards/wings can be streaky on their treys but are not consistent. It's doubtful that Gottlieb can win with this group. Hopefully-the alleged senior transfer will be
a post player that will help balance out the 2018-2019 team. GO BEARS!
ClayK
I think the small ball strategy will work at any level, but you have to have at least three shooters on the floor. And as I've mentioned too often, the structure of youth basketball does not foster players who are both athletic enough to play in the Pac-12 and above-average three-point shooters.

It seems unlikely that Cal can shift to that strategy, but maybe if Caldwell increases her three-point accuracy by 50% she could be part of it.

annarborbear
Guess you can't teach shooting. But if we don't do a better job of teaching boxing out with this line-up, other teams are going to be loading up on offensive rebounds.
Schroeder71
Clay-did you mean Micole Cayton rather than Caldwell? Bears don't have a Caldwell unless she is a new player that I don't know about...GO BEARS!

http://calbears.com/roster.aspx?path=wbball
ClayK
You can teach shooting, but you have to start in middle school. Players need to take and miss a bunch of threes to figure it all out, and work their way to confidence. With the emphasis on winning meaningless seventh grade tournaments, high-level athletes just go to the rim over and over and over and over, and think they're getting better.
SFCALBear72
Schroeder71 said:

Clay-did you mean Micole Cayton rather than Caldwell? Bears don't have a Caldwell unless she is a new player that I don't know about...GO BEARS!

Caldwell is a potential grad transfer. Subject of this thread.
Schroeder71
SF72-thankyou for your response! I wasn't thinking straight about the potential transfer. GO BEARS!
GATC
SFCALBear72 said:

Schroeder71 said:

No surprise that this subject is getting a lot of attention.

With Cayton coming back from injury, the addition of Forbes this year, the addition of Fields next year and the suspected pursuit of Caldwell, it will be interesting to see what LG's vision is for the team.

SFCALBear72
GATC said:

SFCALBear72 said:

Schroeder71 said:

No surprise that this subject is getting a lot of attention.

With Cayton coming back from injury, the addition of Forbes this year, the addition of Fields next year and the suspected pursuit of Caldwell, it will be interesting to see what LG's vision is for the team.

Looks like the new AD Knowlton is also interested in hearing about that vision.

From MoragaBear's story about new AD Knowlton:

"Knowlton's initial game plan for his first three months will be sitting down with every head coach and their staff and every business unit in the department to do analysis about the short, mid and long-term goals for each program and the department and how they'll define success."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.