Good news

29,272 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CalFanatic
GATC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFCALBear72 said:

GATC said:

SFCALBear72 said:

Schroeder71 said:

Clay-did you mean Micole Cayton rather than Caldwell? Bears don't have a Caldwell unless she is a new player that I don't know about...GO BEARS!

http://calbears.com/roster.aspx?path=wbball
Caldwell is a potential grad transfer. Subject of this thread.
No surprise that this subject is getting a lot of attention.

With Cayton coming back from injury, the addition of Forbes this year, the addition of Fields next year and the suspected pursuit of Caldwell, it will be interesting to see what LG's vision is for the team.

Looks like the new AD Knowlton is also interested in hearing about that vision.

From MoragaBear's story about new AD Knowlton:

"Knowlton's initial game plan for his first three months will be sitting down with every head coach and their staff and every business unit in the department to do analysis about the short, mid and long-term goals for each program and the department and how they'll define success."

My comment was actually inspired by the same information you posted in the Olympic Sport forum under a Women's Softball Thread.

The difference is that in the Women's Softball thread, you added the comment, "Should be an interesting conversation with Coach Ninemire and her coaches. Stay tuned."
SFCALBear72
I guess the same comments apply to Coach Gottlieb and her staff. I didn't add them here because she was on the search committee and the two seem well-acquainted already.
GATC
SFCALBear72 said:

I guess the same comments apply to Coach Gottlieb and her staff. I didn't add them here because she was on the search committee and the two seem well-acquainted already.
It would be nice for her boss to know what her plan is for recruiting. Assuming that the "good news" is a graduate transfer, we have 13 players this year:

Seniors:
Anigwe
Thomas
Mosley
Yue
Transfer

Juniors:
Brown
West
Cayton
Anastasieska?

Sophomores:
Smith
Styles
Olson

Freshman:
Forbes

The year after we have 9 players so far:

Seniors:
Brown
West
Cayton
Anastasieska?

Juniors:
Smith
Styles
Olson

Sophomore:
Forbes

Freshman:
Fields (committed)

This year we have 8 rotation players without the grad transfer. Next year we will have 6, possibly 7 without any further recruits.

Recruiting only 3 rotation players the last 2 years is going to create a class imbalance and player shortage that will take years to overcome. We should do well this year (probably similar to this past year) but after that we will be depending on players that have not committed yet.

annarborbear
Our recent recruiting has come up short, literally.
SFCALBear72
How about keeping an open mind and see what happens for 2019? Constant negativity resolves nothing.
wvitbear
Cayton will be a sophomore next year. Even if she had played this year she would be a junior.
SFCALBear72
Hello MoragaBear: Are we getting any closer to finding out this "good news"?? Asking for a friend.
wifeisafurd
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Hint: Never say anything is imminent when the Cal bureaucracy is involved.
MoragaBear
Staff
At the time, few to any knew that grad school admissions changed from early May to early June.
calbear80
MoragaBear said:

At the time, few to any knew that grad school admissions changed from early May to early June.

Thank you MB, for this information and for all you do for our beloved Golden Bears.

Go Bears!
wifeisafurd
calbear80 said:

MoragaBear said:

Thank you MB, for this information and for all you do for our beloved Golden Bears.

Go Bears!
Moraga's a big boy and can take the needling (and probably enjoys it). I wasn't aware that the admissions deadlines had been moved back. That said, the dirty little secret is that for non-professional programs, everyone knows already who is coming as things like TA scheduling and research grants are tied to particular students and their areas of interest (not sure which category pubic health fits into). Cal would do well to develop a sports management masters program, as grad transfers are becoming common place, and the related faculty would understand the need to provide more certainty for Cal to be competitive. And less anyone think this is just for athletic teams, Cal actually could have a top program in this area, with scholarly study. It is a legitimate field, with real jobs waiting.
HoopDreams
wifeisafurd said:

calbear80 said:

MoragaBear said:

Go Bears!
Moraga's a big boy and can take the needling (and probably enjoys it). I wasn't aware that the admissions deadlines had been moved back. That said, the dirty little secret is that for non-professional programs, everyone knows already who is coming as things like TA scheduling and research grants are tied to particular students and their areas of interest (not sure which category pubic health fits into). Cal would do well to develop a sports management masters program, as grad transfers are becoming common place, and the related faculty would understand the need to provide more certainty for Cal to be competitive. And less anyone think this is just for athletic teams, Cal actually could have a top program in this area, with scholarly study. It is a legitimate field, with real jobs waiting.
of course this makes too much sense, but I'm assuming it's been requested in the past, but turned down as not academically driven. I'm sure oregon offers one year sports management programs with internships at Nike.

I remember Sandy talking about adding a sport management UC Extension class. Sounds laughable, but it told me that she tried to get a sports management degree program

Schroeder71
UCSB has a Sports Management degree. My daughter minored in it. GO BEARS!
ncbears
It is now June......
SFCALBear72
wbbilluminati said:

Our clues:
Fills need
Eligible immediately
Proven player

I'll throw out a guess: Recee Caldwell 5'8" guard grad-transferring from Texas Tech (and UCLA before that). No longer on Texas Tech's roster. Three point threat.

There seems to be a million transfers this year and many of them instantly eligible grad transfers. Plus, players seem to be getting X-fer redshirt waivers more easily these days anyway.

One intriguing option on the market still is grad x-fer PG originally from Spain leaving Ball State after averaging 9.2 apg (#2 nationally). Name is Carmen Grande.

Carmen Grande transferred to Ohio State.
blungld
Is this looking less likely?
willtalk
ncbears said:

Could Daisy Dimple from Bixby be a transfer?

__________________________________________________________________________________

I just re-read this thread and noticed your post. Daisy doesn't need to transfer. She will automatically appear by hitting someone on the head real hard.

Hey I loved that movie, especially Peggy Ryan. Still I wonder how many posters on this site knew who Daisy was?They would need to in order to appreciate your post.
________________________________________________________________________________________
willtalk

Some of you might get a kick out of this clip from Here Come the Co-eds. Early womens basketball. That is where the reference to Daisy Dimple comes from.
wifeisafurd
Well it is June 4th. My post about Cal bureaucracy seems to hold.
socaliganbear
wifeisafurd said:

Well it is June 4th. My post about Cal bureaucracy seems to hold.

Maybe the good news just ended up at Nevada or somewhere.
blungld
Is "good news" still looking good, or does the silence mean it is now "no news" or "bad news"?
MoragaBear
Staff
Still good
blungld
MoragaBear said:

Still good
Thanks.
wifeisafurd
blungld said:

Is "good news" still looking good, or does the silence mean it is now "no news" or "bad news"?
yes, they are creating a committee, to review a study after a consultant is elected by the committee to determine who should conduct the study to see if the transfer can be admitted.
annarborbear
wifeisafurd said:

blungld said:

yes, they are creating a committee, to review a study after a consultant is elected by the committee to determine who should conduct the study to see if the transfer can be admitted.

In other words, they are fast-tracking the process.
wifeisafurd
annarborbear said:

wifeisafurd said:

blungld said:

In other words, they are fast-tracking the process.
Yup, I think that is why Moraga said really soon. With Cal it's all relative.
wifeisafurd
ZZZZZZZZZ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
puget sound cal fan
MB said a player like Megan Huff--not Megan Huff, herself.
puget sound cal fan
Don't forget Lauren Field, another incoming freshman Guard from Oklahoma, who was viewed as one ot the top guards in the Southwest. She led her HS team to the Oklahoma state championship round. She can shoot, handle the ball, set-up teammates and run the court. Fields sounds like a very good back court player, but I share the concern the Bears' roster is becoming overloaded with Guards and Wings at the expense of their front court.
ClayK
Any movement on this? Is Reece Caldwell coming?
MoragaBear
Staff
I've never said anything about who the likely new addition is but everything looks good and should be announced within a week or so.
ClayK
I just wondered if I could catch you off guard (so to speak) ...
MoragaBear
Staff
Here ya go

stu
MoragaBear said:

Here ya go
I never doubted you.

We're going to be loaded at guard - I wouldn't be surprised to see us play small most of the time with 3 guards, 1 wing, and 1 post. Should be fun to watch!
MoragaBear
Staff
Anyone that is money from the line, handles the ball well and has a good perimeter game is a welcome addition in my book, especially eligible right away.

There were lots of games in her last healthy season where she was a major spark from 3. Former McDonald's AA, too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.