Lindsay and Southwest Airlines

3,198 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFCALBear72
Bear8995
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Didn't see this posted elsewhere. Ridiculous.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/m/b12f958f-3d55-3011-95e4-e3967db5792e/ss_uc-berkeley-coach-says.html
BearBint
What did they think he was, a new recruit?
SFCALBear72
Disgusting and degrading. Welcome to 2018 America.

According to a tweet, Coach Gottlieb went to Colorado Springs this past weekend to watch McKenzie Forbes tryout for USA Basketball U18 team. McKenzie was selected as an alternate. And then the airport encounter.
GATC
SFCALBear72 said:

Disgusting and degrading. Welcome to 2018 America.

According to a tweet, Coach Gottlieb went to Colorado Springs this past weekend to watch McKenzie Forbes tryout for USA Basketball U18 team. McKenzie was selected as an alternate. And then the airport encounter.
Very sad. I saw the tweet and I believe her that she and her kid has traveled 50 times (and he is 1 year old). I see KF's tweets of her many "recruiting" trips with her kid as well. Hopefully we get some recruits from all of these trips.
Grizz1988
The small kid had a different last name than her name and they were boarding an airplane. Accordingly, I don't think it is the end of the world to make an initial inquiry. I don't know exactly what happened, but I am not sure this story is national news worthy.
SFCALBear72
Grizz1988 said:

The small kid had a different last name than her name and they were boarding an airplane. Accordingly, I don't think it is the end of the world to make an initial inquiry. I don't know exactly what happened, but I am not sure this story is national news worthy.
Her son's passport was provided. Apparently, that wasn't enough. Southwest employee then asked for a Facebook post. Really?

Why was she asked this particular day? She's flown countless times with him and never been asked before. Her flight to Denver from Oakland had no such inquiry. Another woman at the gate told Coach Gottlieb that her child has a different last name as well and she's never been asked.
ncbears
To avoid this situation when my daughters were little, I gave a letter to my wife, who has a different surname, a letter to travel with. Only, it was never an issue. Granted, most of the travel predates 9/11.
willtalk
People who work at air ports are generally clueless. But still if it is to protect kids I would pocket my personal offense and live with it. I would rather them be extra careful at the risk of offending someone than let something bad happen to a child.
gipsonke
Ridiculous. Welcome to ugly world of racism.

As a black man growing up in America - I can't tell you how many times stuff like this happens - unfortunately it's pretty routine. Even today. Honestly - I get that they were trying to be "SAFE rather than sorry" - but think about the implications of that thinking. WHY should it matter that her son is obviously mixed with black? If you're going to be safe, then question ALL people traveling with infants, and have them provide proof (via Facebook, etc.). I mean, white infants can be abducted by whites, black infants by blacks, etc. It should not matter or even seem to matter that the parents don't "MATCH" the infant. What an incredibly ignorant and racist thought process.

This is the definition of racism.

I remember back when I founded my first software company in Silicon Valley in 1997 - I was driving up there from L.A. and was stopped by the CHP for "erratic" driving. B^&*$#!T. I wasn't.

But what the cop saw we a black guy driving a nice, expensive - new car. He called for "backup". Said he smelled alcohol on my breath (it was 9AM in the morning). Hand-cuffed me, (illegally) searched the vehicle throwing everything out of it, and detained me for more than an hour.

He asked me if I had RECEIPTS for the car, laptop and other A/V (a projector for a presentation I was giving to my staff that morning). I told him $#&* no - I don't carry around receipts for thing I or MY company owns.

I was PI$$ED. And told them as much. After more than an hour in Coalinga, CA ("cow" capital of California) - I forced the issue. I'd had enough. 35 years of racism and harassment boiled up inside of me.

I FORCED the issue. I told the seven cops "Either you're going to release me now - OR, you're gonna have to kill me to stop me from leaving...but I AM leaving one way or another!"

There it was. Now it's your move. I don't think you have the guts to pull the trigger. Racism is one thing. Out and out cowardly, cold-blooded murder is another.

Fortunately (for everyone's sake) - A sergeant showed up, and asked them what the F%$ were they doing? And he ordered them to cut me loose.

Was that one of the stupidest things I could have done in my life? You bet it was. But THAT day - I was going to stand up against the ugly, evil of racism.

Good for coach!! Freedoms and citizen's rights are not typically taken away in one fatal swoop. It's a process. Your rights are S-L-O-W-L-Y treaded on - day by day.

20 years later - I'm even more vigilant against violation of my constitutional rights. I refuse to answer questions nor be detained at ILLEGAL sobriety checkpoints. I challenge any and all unreasonable and racist activities directed against me.

I'm an American. (Not an "African" American) A successful entrepreneur and business owner. I pay my taxes. Employ families.
Have six kids. Enjoy vacations, karaoke, music, watching my daughter play basketball, volunteer at my local church.

And I happen to be BLACK.

And that doesn't (or shouldn't) matter - at all.

Keith Gipson

P. S. - When I finally arrived, an hour an a half for our company board meeting, one of my VP's said "Gee Keith, I think those cops were racist?"

Ya think???!

SFCALBear72
Thank you for sharing that story with us, Keith.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.