Will Forbes play much as a freshman?

4,434 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Lone Star
tazmaz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I live in Folsom where Forbes played ball and wonder how her game will translate to the college level as a freshman. She has the poise of a Magic Johnson but gets her shots blocked verse good competition. She doesn't elevate well either. That concerns me about her on the college level. Thoughts?
stu
tazmaz said:

I live in Folsom whi expect she won't be asked to carry the loadere Forbes played ball and wonder how her game will translate to the college level as a just guessing, but freshman. She has the poise of a Magic Johnson but gets her shots blocked verse good competition. She doesn't elevate well either. That concerns mei suspect about her on the college level. Thoughts?
Just guessing - I expect she won't be asked to carry much of the scoring load as a freshie so she can shoot only when open. If she has poise she'll figure that out quickly.

I'm hoping she can help with rebounding, defense, and passing right away.
annarborbear
I don't really know Forbes' skill set. But whatever it is, I hope we give her a role which matches her skill set rather than forcing her into some other role based simply on roster imbalance. I thought that is what happened to Cowling. Could have been a great wing living on the baseline and in the paint. But instead became a guard, operating mostly on the perimeter and committing lots of TO's trying to pass the ball in from out there.
ClayK
The same thing happened to Courtney Range -- she should have been a three, not a four.

But the point about Forbes is well-taken: The question for her, I think, is whether she's athletic enough to allow her high basketball IQ and skill set to maximize her impact. I don't think the answer to that question will be clear until the end of her freshman season.
Schroeder71
I only witnessed her play in two on-line playoff games and the McDonald's AA game. She really played "non-chalant" and I never saw her dive for a loose ball or sprint full-speed. Forbes scored on drives in the key but missed most of her three point attempts. McKenzie's strong point was her savvy and passing skills. She appears
to be a solid free-throw shooter. She attempted to defend Acquira DeCosta inside against St Marys-Stockton and grabbed a few rebounds. Does she ever sprint back on defense or display passion on the floor? I really haven't
seen enough of her game to come to any conclusions. Now-Haley Jones-I can give an in-depth evaluation because I watched her play a few games each of the last three seasons. GO BEARS!
willtalk
I concur with Schroeder's perspective in respect to her effort. She does have skills and talent but she will have to really kick it up at the next level to even see the floor. While a far better shooter she sort of reminds me of Gabby Green in respect to her lack of intensity in games. A lot of players who got by on just talent face that issue once the get into the level of competition they will face in a high level D1 play. Perhaps when faced with the challenge she will respond. Time will tell.
CalFanatic
I'm excited to see this HS All American (by multiple organizations) and starter on the #1 club team in the US show her talent. Come on folks. I think you need to calm down a bit on here.

Kelly Sopak has mentioned she is one of his favorite kids to coach. I think that says something.
GATC
CalFanatic said:

I'm excited to see this HS All American (by multiple organizations) and starter on the #1 club team in the US show her talent. Come on folks. I think you need to calm down a bit on here.

Kelly Sopak has mentioned she is one of his favorite kids to coach. I think that says something.
If we have a better year than last year, give LG credit for getting the best out of a talented but unbalanced team.
CalFanatic
If we don't there is something terribly wrong- we essentially add two 5 star players, one being an experienced senior.
HoopDreams
but we lost two seniors who were not only experienced, but also talented
cowling was a top recruit (5 star?) and nina was a very good player in a position of need
CalFanatic
But we also gain Cayton? I don't know. I am very bullish on this team- if they stay healthy. PAC loses a ton of top talent too. I hope i'm right.
SFCALBear72
CalFanatic said:

But we also gain Cayton? I don't know. I am very bullish on this team- if they stay healthy. PAC loses a ton of top talent too. I hope i'm right.
I'm very optimistic about this team too. Kianna Smith gained valuable playing time with Mi'Cole out. From what I'm hearing, Alaysia Styles is working very hard in practice and on her strength. Plus, I think Sara can finally be a contributor now that her back issues have been resolved.
GoBears635
I hope you're right about Sara, but back issues can be very tricky. Just ask Steve Kerr.
stu
HoopDreams said:

but we lost two seniors who were not only experienced, but also talented
cowling was a top recruit (5 star?) and nina was a very good player in a position of need

CalFanatic said:

Outside we lose Cowling but gain Caldwell, Cayton, and possibly Anastasieska. Inside we lose Davidson but gain Forbes. Everyone else will have another year of experience. If we adjust our scheme to emphasize a fast pace and perimeter play I think we could be very good.
Lone Star
GoBears635 said:

I hope you're right about Sara, but back issues can be very tricky. Just ask Steve Kerr.
He didn't have back issues as a player.
Lone Star
tazmaz said:

I live in Folsom where Forbes played ball and wonder how her game will translate to the college level as a freshman. She has the poise of a Magic Johnson but gets her shots blocked verse good competition. She doesn't elevate well either. That concerns me about her on the college level. Thoughts?
IMO, she will play her freshman year but, I don't believe she will be a major factor for Cal in her college years. Kianna Smith and Styles are much more athletic players and their speed is suited well for the college game and especially the PAC 12 as they continue to develop.

My observations of Forbes are that she is a good (not great) offensive player, able to shoot when has open shots but, cannot create her own space against bigger or quicker players on offense and hence Taz viewpoint of being blocked by better players is accurate. In terms of floor intensity, haven't seen it at all.

Her biggest weakness is her defensive skill set. In fact, it is a huge liability that needs to be addressed in college as it will be scouted and exploited.

So, for as "smooth" as she looks on offense, her defense in fact, is non-existent.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.