Viva la France ! Mikayla to play BB in France

2,521 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ClayK
OBear073akaSMFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://uslaglaceriebasket.fr/ligue-feminine-2-arrivee-de-mikayla-cowling/

I'll leave to others to translate
BearBint
Wow. Thanks for the news, OBear073akaSMFan

A nice intro to M.C., and quite long, compared to a few others I read on the site. Basically a press release about her Cal Bears experience, with the addition of her being "tall, athletic and powerful," the expectation that she'll play the 3 and 4 positions, and head coach Yann Volmier's statement that they've ended their seasonal recruitment on a very pleasant note.

La Glacerie is in Normandy, in the N.W. of France, near the Channel--probably pretty, and very wet. I cannot figure out La Glacerie's standing from last season--eurobasket.com is not easy to navigate--but it looks like they at least won a league championship.

More here: https://basketball.eurobasket.com/team/France/Union-Sportive-La-Glacerie/9128?Page=1
She's the only American and the second tallest on the team, and on the young side (the roster's ages range from 18 to 33). Their first game is next Saturday, the 30th, and I'm guessing she'll get plenty of minutes. Go, Mikayla! Steal that ball and flash that smile; they're going to love you.

"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
SFCALBear72
On twitter, Coach G sent Mikayla a message in French. She replied by saying that she's practicing her French with Archer Olson. lol. C'est magnifique!
ClayK
The French leagues used to be strong, but are not as competitive as Turkey, for example, right now.

Still, a great landing spot for Mikayla, and a hidden benefit for women's players -- sure, she won't make a lot of money, but what better job could a recent college graduate find than essentially an all-expenses paid year in France? Some of these teams only practice a few days a week, and only for a couple hours, so there's plenty of time to explore.

That said, if you play poorly, suddenly the checks stop coming and no one can speak English ...

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.