Story Poster
Cal Basketball

Caldwell Joins Cal as Graduate Transfer

June 26, 2018

BERKELEY  -  Guard Receé Caldwell will join the Cal women's basketball team as a graduate transfer for the 2018-19 season, head coach Lindsay Gottlieb announced on Tuesday. A 5'9" guard, Caldwell graduated from Texas Tech with a degree in business and will have one year of eligibility remaining for the Golden Bears.

"We are truly looking forward to having Receé in a Cal uniform," said Gottlieb. "She's the first graduate transfer our program has ever had and is going to bring to this team some special things that you would expect of a fifth-year student-athlete. She's a very crafty and gifted scorer. She knows how to create her own shot while also creating shots for others. In addition, Recee' is a coaches' kid. She's communicative and has been tested in a number of different experiences on the floor. She loves this game so much and is a true competitor who can help us take our program to the next level."

Caldwell began her college career at UCLA, averaging 6.9 points per game in 17 appearances for the Bruins before transferring to Texas Tech at the end of her freshman season. After sitting out the 2015-16 season due to NCAA transfer rules, Caldwell made an immediate impact for the Red Raiders during the 2016-17 campaign, averaging a team-high 14.5 points per game, which ranked eighth overall in the Big-12. Caldwell earned All-Big 12 Honorable Mention honors at the conclusion of the season and ranked sixth in the conference with 4.5 assists per game. A proven threat from beyond the arc, Caldwell also ranked in the top-10 in the conference in three-point field goal percentage, shooting 36.4 percent from deep on the season including a 7-for-12 performance in a 38-point performance at Texas A&M. Caldwell averaged 10.7 points per game and 6.0 assists per game in 13 appearances for Texas Tech during the 2017-18 campaign before missing the remainder of the season due to injury.

A two-time Academic All-Big 12 Selection, Caldwell will enroll in Cal's School of Public Health as a graduate student and is immediately eligible to play for the Bears.

"Receé is an incredibly bright and mature young woman," Gottlieb said. "During this process, a lot of our conversations were about more than just the next 365 days as a basketball player at Cal. They were about the lifetime of connections and opportunities that a degree from this university will bring. Recee' has a very forward-thinking mindset and is committed to accomplishing her goals, both in basketball and beyond."

Born in Hemet, California, Caldwell spent much of her childhood in the Los Angeles area before moving to San Antonio, Texas, where she was a 2014 McDonald's All American selection. A five-star recruit and one of the top-ranked point guards in the nation coming out of high school, Caldwell is a two-time gold medalist with USA Basketball, with stints on both the Under-16 and Under-18 National Teams.

Caldwell and incoming freshman McKenzie Forbes, a 2018 McDonald's All America selection, join a Golden Bear squad that finished fifth in the Pac-12 last season and reached the NCAA Tournament for the sixth time in the last seven seasons.

Call the Gold Standard Sales and Service line at (800) GO BEARS (462-3277) or visit the CalBears.com ticket page today to secure your spot in Haas Pavilion for the upcoming season. Stay tuned for ticket information regarding partial and single-game plans.

For more information and updates on the Bears throughout the year, follow the team on Twitter (@CalWBball), Instagram (@CalWBball) and Facebook (Facebook.com/CalWBball), and visit the Bears unique, multimedia site ThisIsCalBasketball.com.

Discussion from...

Caldwell Joins Cal as Graduate Transfer

58,272 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFCALBear72
SFCALBear72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Great addition. Her experience in a tough Big12 conference (Baylor, Texas and Oklahoma) will surely benefit Asha, Kianna, Mi'Cole and Sara as we enter Pac-12 play. Coach G will also take advantage of the depth at guard and flexibility in player rotations.
CalFanatic
Gosh... if we can just stay healthy next year we are going to be very, very good. I'm looking forward to the upcoming season.
CalFanatic
HoopDreams
SCORER.
HoopDreams

CalFanatic
Really, really great article on Recee Caldwell and her decision to join Cal. I agree with her- this team can make a deep run in the tournament!

https://cal.rivals.com/news/recee-caldwell-is-excited-to-be-a-golden-bear
wbbilluminati
She sounds like a coach and the quintessential college kid at the same time. She is a great addition and could have a big impact in every way on the program in her short time here.
CalFanatic
Gotta love the comments on the 4 guards, 1 post lineup. I tend to agree with her. Will be hard to guard us if you have Kianna/AT/RC/Mi'Cole with Anigwe in the post. We could run circles on people.
willtalk
Unless Anigwe can keep her fouls down it could turn out to be a five guard lineup.
SFCALBear72
willtalk said:

Unless Anigwe can keep her fouls down it could turn out to be a five guard lineup.
With this being Kristine's senior year, I suspect she will play with more discipline and control.
HoopDreams
willtalk said:

This is what worries me. We have one great post player, and then a big drop off. If we had Nina we could shoot for the stars. Without her, this team is vulnerable to bad matchups and bad fouls
SFCALBear72
HoopDreams said:

willtalk said:

This is what worries me. We have one great post player, and then a big drop off. If we had Nina we could shoot for the stars. Without her, this team is vulnerable to bad matchups and bad fouls
I have a bit broader perspective. Towards the end of last season, CJ West was logging some impressive minutes. I look for her to continue that trend. Also, the sophomore Alaysia Styles should be able to contribute a lot more than her freshman version did in my opinion. She was highly regarded coming out of high school. She's had her transition period, now it's time to contribute. I'm confident she will. And I think the coaches are working with her to do just that.
CalFanatic
I thought CJ West looked great at the end of last year. I really don't understand the worry there... especially if Styles becomes a contributor.

Now... am i worried about post play next year? Absolutely. Who is replacing Anigwe? Jackson? Miller? What if nobody commits? There are tons of opportunities for people to come in and play right away.
SFCALBear72
CalFanatic said:

I thought CJ West looked great at the end of last year. I really don't understand the worry there... especially if Styles becomes a contributor.

Now... am i worried about post play next year? Absolutely. Who is replacing Anigwe? Jackson? Miller? What if nobody commits? There are tons of opportunities for people to come in and play right away.
CalFanatic: I know Ben Parker, the guy who wrote the story on Recee Caldwell that you posted here. He told me about her coming to Cal long before it was public knowledge. I sent him an email the other day and told him about the concern being expressed on this board about the 2019 recruiting class and only one commit to date. His reply: "I wouldn't worry about them (women's basketball recruiting). The men's recruiting is what has me worried...only two commits and one is a preferred walk-on."

Hope this helps to some degree.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.