Layshia Clarendon Traded to Connecticut Sun

2,689 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BearPedz
SFCALBear72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
New team. Fresh start. Seems like her minutes with the Atlanta Dream had decreased of late.
Sun coach is excited to add her to the team.

http://www.courant.com/sports/basketball/connecticut-sun/hc-sp-connecticut-sun-trade-alex-bentley-20180709-story.html
BearBint
Thanks for the link; I'd been getting my info from Rebkell, which is too full of rumor. Still, I have the impression that 1) Layshia didn't fit the new Atlanta coach's system, while 2) UConn wants her basketball skills (L.C. was voted an all-star last season, delivering lots of assists and sometimes points per game) and her ability to get along with teammates. She's played few minutes for Atlanta lately, and I like to think she'll be better appreciated in Connecticut.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
SFCALBear72
You're welcome.

I first found out about it on Coach G's twitter feed ( I don't have a twitter account, but you can still see what she is posting). Then, I went to a Connecticut area newspaper site to see if there was also a news story about the trade.
wbbilluminati
Yes, I read some rumors that some off-the-court drama up in CT prompted this trade, but regardless I think it'll be a good change for Layshia who has seen her PT in Atlanta reduced with the acquisition of veteran PG Renee Montgomery.
BearPedz
I want to be optimistic about this trade but Connecticut has Jasmine Thomas, Courtney Williams Lexie Brown and Rachel Banham. I just don't see her getting alot of minutes especially since half the season is in the books already. Lay will have to learn a new system and out perform established role players.
I pray to Oski she can and will do it!
Go Layshia
Go Bears!
ClayK
Layshia Clarendon is a solid backup in the WNBA. Like so many, if she could shoot threes more consistently, she would be much more valuable.

BearBint
It was Boyd vs. Clarendon this morning, with solid stat lines for both:

http://www.wnba.com/game/20180711/NYLCON/

Good to see Layshia looking happy and energetic again.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
calbear80
How is her law suite going?

I think I read somewhere that her lawsuite against Cal got thrown out because the statues of limitations has long passed (generally two years in California, with exceptions). Does anyone have more up to date information?
BearPedz
I don't have an update on her lawsuit. However I am pleased to report that Layshia is playing 16min/game average with the Sun. Almost 4 pts and 2.5 assists, which I expect to increase as she continues to adjust to her new team and system.
Go Bears!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.