Cal WBB Pursuit of Bigs

6,619 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wvitbear
puget sound cal fan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any progress on Bears' possibly landing Jones, Jackson or Robee?
ClayK
Not much will happen until after girls get back to school and start taking visits ...

Haley Jones finished yesterday in Belarus so will need some time to regroup. Angel Jackson just finished up in LA with Cal Stars, and I'm sure Robee is the same.

Give it a month or so ...
puget sound cal fan
Frankly, a skilled big (PF) is the highest priority.
GOLDEN

The top-ranked 2019 Prospect (by both Hoopgurlz and Prospects Nation) Haley Jones 6-1 W has a final 5 of STANFORD, Notre Dame, OREGON, UConn, and South Carolina.

annarborbear
GOLDEN said:

The top-ranked 2019 Prospect (by both Hoopgurlz and Prospects Nation) Haley Jones 6-1 W has a final 5 of STANFORD, Notre Dame, OREGON, UConn, and South Carolina.

Geno, Dawn Staley, Tara, Muffin and Kelly Graves. You can be pretty certain that you are going to win, get better, and realize your potential under any of those coaches.
HoopDreams
i think Cal WBB has the same issue with recruiting bigs as Cal MBB

not a large pool of high major bigs that qualify academically, and when they do, they tend to go to the powerhouse teams (including stanford)

I think we need to adjust by loading up on athletic, guards and wings who can shoot, and perhaps some undersized athletic bigs, who can defend, rebound, and hopefully shoot from 3 to create mis-matches ... then our guards can collapse to assist when the ball goes into the post. on rebounds, push the tempo which should favor the smaller team

i know it's easier said then done, but not sure we will sign another KA anytime soon
mbBear
HoopDreams said:

i think Cal WBB has the same issue with recruiting bigs as Cal MBB

not a large pool of high major bigs that qualify academically, and when they do, they tend to go to the powerhouse teams (including stanford)

I think we need to adjust by loading up on athletic, guards and wings who can shoot, and perhaps some undersized athletic bigs, who can defend, rebound, and hopefully shoot from 3 to create mis-matches ... then our guards can collapse to assist when the ball goes into the post. on rebounds, push the tempo which should favor the smaller team

i know it's easier said then done, but not sure we will sign another KA anytime soon

With the men, you have the chance that they aren't going to be there 4 years...with the women, that's not true. A big in the women's game is going to go where they can play, not sit for 3 years, and/or get 10 minutes a game.
To hope to be 3/4 deep with high quality Bigs is difficult at best...
puget sound cal fan
Signing talented Guards and Wings is what the Bears have been doing for the last two classes. They've either overlooked pursuing bigs, or had all their eggs in the Angel Jackson basket. What's Plan "C" or "D"?
HoopDreams
puget sound cal fan said:

Signing talented Guards and Wings is what the Bears have been doing for the last two classes. They've either overlooked pursuing bigs, or had all their eggs in the Angel Jackson basket. What's Plan "C" or "D"?

Overlooked?

They haven't successfully recruited a top big consistently, but not sure they overlooked them.

We have recruited lots of bigs, but they went somewhere else. Like MBB, we start off with a smaller pool of candidates due to our higher academic requirement (higher than even UCLA), and then we have to beat out our cross time rival who is a WBB powerhouse

There are a lot more talented guards and SF in both WBB and MBB. If we can't consistently recruit top bigs, I'm just suggesting we go 4 out as a strategy, with the one 'post' player also a shooter to create mismatches when we are on offense.

I'm unhappy we didn't sign Angel, but can see defend a smaller player out to the 3?

Of course we should always make it a priority to sign more talent in the front court. It makes offense and defense a whole lot easier. Also, a team wants to be versatile and be able to play different styles against different teams/match ups. I am not saying this is a good situation
annarborbear
Sometimes you do have to work with what you've got. Washington was able to make it work by finding a way to use Oshafor's unique skill set when they did not have a traditional center. But I am afraid we would have simply put Oshafor down low and acted like she was supposed to be Talia Caldwell. And even if we can get creative, other teams seem to be having no problems like we are having in loading up on some size that is going to be very hard to defend.
Baygbear

Loretta Kakala is transferring from Louisville to Pacific. I believe Cal was one of her finalists before she committed to the Cardinals. Does anyone know if Cal pursued her after she announced her decision to transfer? She would have been a good post after the graduation of Anigwe.
wbbilluminati
Cal may have been a finalist but I remember she was quoted relatively early saying she wanted to "go East." Obviously she wanted to be very close to home this time, perhaps even Cal was not close enough. I'm not sure why she redshirted. I thought it might have been just to get into better conditioning. But I do recall a graduating senior at Louisville saying she expected her (Kakala) to be an All-American in her career once she got going. Obviously we'll have to wait and see how she does at Pacific. Pacific also received a top 30 transfer from USC Val Higgins a year ago.
wbbilluminati

Fingers crossed!
SFCALBear72
wbbilluminati said:

Fingers crossed!

+1

Did you catch the name on the card on the left-side of the podium pic? Gabby Giuffre. She's a point guard, Class of 2020, out of Aptos High in Santa Cruz County. Future planning. I like it.
bearwbbfan
Oregon State needs to share some bigs with Cal!

They added another 5* in 6-6 #19 Kennedy Brown.

With 6'9, 6'7, 6'6, and 6'3 in their 2018 and 2019 classes plus and another 6'3 in 2017, we are going to need to add some bigs to keep up with them.
CalFanatic
How on gods green earth do we get so consistently out recruited by a school in Corvallis, Oregon. I'm at a loss
GOLDEN
bearwbbfan said:

With 6'9, 6'7, 6'6, and 6'3 in their 2018 and 2019 classes plus and another 6'3 in 2017, we are going to need to add some bigs to keep up with them.
You can negate height with speed at least that is the answer from U-Conn fans about Oregon State. Besides someone said there you can have a who roster stuffed with bigs but it is still five players on a court at one time.
Take a couple of quick stellar guards and good shooting to combat the height is some answers to this stacking of height.

Brown might be good on paper but her parents are the type that run the show. She (Brown) is kind of stuck on herself and who needs a "me first" person as a team mate. Mom would be a coaches nightmare. You promised my daughter would start, etc, etc. Special documentary videos is a little too over done and every so often that happens, the family and high school coach over sells that athlete. Attend the right camp and push your star rating up. Don't and that site lowers it. If it was just all star ratings and height then Stanford should have won it all again since 1992? 1994?

I personally like the type of recruit with a family that just keeps things more low key in the recruiting process.

You know those types, all about me and being a star in a little town in Kansas. Well Toto we are not in Kansas anymore. Don't get me wrong about her but there are better players out there in the next class that don't have these little issues
bearwbbfan
Yes her mother play basketball at Michigan State so it would make sense that she is overly involved with her daughter's basketball. Coming from a small town she is probably worshipped for her skills. Bring her to LA and she is just an above average player.

I do agree that speed negates height to an extent, but take the UCONN Mississippi State final four game a few years back. Mississippi State won because they had 6'7 in the middle and UCONN tried to but 6'2 on her. We may be in big trouble if Roby doesn't come our way.

Recruits also probably look at Anigwe's
development, or lack of, versus Gulich's development when looking at schools. There is no reason that Anigwe should have been outplayed by Gulich last season. I am looking forward to Anigwe having a big season season and hopefully returns to NPOY caliber.
ClayK
CalFanatic said:

How on gods green earth do we get so consistently out recruited by a school in Corvallis, Oregon. I'm at a loss
Because Rueck is one of the best coaches in the game ... not to put down LG, as few coaches anywhere have done what Rueck has done.
GOLDEN
bearwbbfan said:

Bring her to LA and she is just an above average player.

Recruits also probably look at Anigwe's
development, or lack of, versus Gulich's development when looking at schools. There is no reason that Anigwe should have been outplayed by Gulich last season. I am looking forward to Anigwe having a big season season and hopefully returns to NPOY caliber.

These points you presented are very excellent. Never thought about it that way but you are spot on. How would she rate in the state of California, especially going up against the caliber of players here verses in a farm town in Kansas playing other farm girls.

GOLDEN
ClayK said:

CalFanatic said:

, as few coaches anywhere have done what Rueck has done.
Disagree looking at it one way and then looking at it from anotherperspective I suppose your point can be seen too. As far as national accomplishments and end results then , meh! Falter a year and accomplishments at schools such as Oregon State can evaporate fast and are hard to regain after that. I don't think a Rueck team at OSU will ever be considered a U-Conn west now or in the near future. At Stanford he could be that person.

As far as being able to recruit to a crap hole arena in Corvallis then yes. If he does not get an interview at a place like Stanford in a few years then something is wrong at Stanford. Just being at Oregon State holds a coach like Rueck back. Just the way it is.
ClayK
Cameron Brink to Stanford ...
bearwbbfan
She has been predicted to go to Stanford for a while now. I think Oregon and UConn were likely the runnerups her.

What Rueck has done at OSU has been quite remarkable. They almost dropped their WBB Program and were holding open tryouts... 6 years later were
playing in a final 4.

Graves also turned Oregon around fast, but they weren't as in the dumps.

Arizona trending upward too with Barnes recruiting.
willtalk
GOLDEN said:

ClayK said:

CalFanatic said:

, as few coaches anywhere have done what Rueck has done.
Disagree looking at it one way and then looking at it from anotherperspective I suppose your point can be seen too. As far as national accomplishments and end results then , meh! Falter a year and accomplishments at schools such as Oregon State can evaporate fast and are hard to regain after that. I don't think a Rueck team at OSU will ever be considered a U-Conn west now or in the near future. At Stanford he could be that person.

As far as being able to recruit to a crap hole arena in Corvallis then yes. If he does not get an interview at a place like Stanford in a few years then something is wrong at Stanford. Just being at Oregon State holds a coach like Rueck back. Just the way it is.
That crap hole leads the Pac 12 in attendance. Some people like the environment in Corvallis. They would prefer it to living in the Bay Area. Corvallis is much more desirable place to live than were Uconn. is located. Not that he will do it but why couldn't Reuck turn Oregon St into Uconn West? Uconn has little to offer except Geno and the program he produced.
GOLDEN
Besides that and baseball that is the only hope in town. If you like a heavily racist area then Corvallis is the place for you. No thanks!

No way someone can tell me Gill is a beautiful arena so it is remarkable Rueck can get anyone to take a sniff.
HoopDreams
bearwbbfan said:

What Rueck has done at OSU has been quite remarkable. They almost dropped their WBB Program and were holding open tryouts... 6 years later were
playing in a final 4.

i vaguely remember that. m thought was how could a coach rebuild a team from that ... that it would take years ... guess the right coach can do that, and do it relatively fast
annarborbear
Rueck certainly paid his dues with 13 years at Division III George Fox. His last three years there, his teams went 85-8. (He also coached the tennis team.) Probably got his chance at OSU because he was an OSU grad. Couldn't do much his first three years without much talent. But then got Ruth Hamblin and Jody Wiesner whom he really developed, and then landed a top player in Sidney Wiese. His teams play great team basketball, and his big people do get better.

The only things I know about Corvallis are that not only did Gary Payton go there, but he later sent his son Gary Payton II to school there as well, and Corvallis ranks up there with Davis for number of bicycle riders per capita. So there is that.
GoBears635
Jamie Weisner
ncbears
bearwbbfan said:

That lineup may be taller than what the Cal men may be putting on the court.
wvitbear
They may be taller than the warriors.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.