wnba article catches up with Brittany Boyd

2,301 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ClayK
smh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
@adifferent1five tweeted a link to "A Bounce Back Season For Boyd", league's latest story about her since last season's torn Achilles tendon.

https://t.co/OxHjVrAd4t
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
roqmoq
After watching a couple of Liberty games on TV, is it my eyes or what, but it seems that Boyd is taller. Or maybe slimmer? Anyone else have this perception? She doesn't look noticeably shorter than the other players.
puget sound cal fan
Hard work and dedication on Britany's part will, hopefully, enable her to resume her career unabated and continue to contribute to the Liberty's success.
BearBint
Thanks, smh. BearBloke and I watch every Liberty game we can on-line and are delighted to see Boyd's improvement. She has been starting for the several weeks and playing about 20 minutes a game. She is now also her old lightning-quick self after the Achilles injury, her shooting is definitely more solid, and she ranks #5 in the WNBA for assists. Even the clique-ish members of Rebkell.net regard Boyd as an asset and remark that she always plays with determination and fire. I just wish that the Liberty had more reliable players; at this point, they depend on Tina Charles for offense and Brittany for defense.

Catch Brittany and the Liberty at 3 p.m., Pacific Time, Sunday the 19th:

http://www.wnba.com/game/20180819/NYLPHO/
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
ClayK
Boyd came back 100% from her injury but the Liberty are putrid, better only than dismal Indiana.

Brittany has had a great career and should continue in the WNBA for several more seasons, but she has peaked, I'm pretty sure, as she's never really been able to shoot and is right-hand dominant. Those two traits make her easier to guard at this level, but those are quibbles: She's had a long career in the best league in the world, and is a solid starter.

She's come a long way from her freshman year at Hercules High.
BearBint
ClayK said:

Boyd came back 100% from her injury but the Liberty are putrid, better only than dismal Indiana.

Brittany has had a great career and should continue in the WNBA for several more seasons, but she has peaked, I'm pretty sure, as she's never really been able to shoot and is right-hand dominant. Those two traits make her easier to guard at this level, but those are quibbles: She's had a long career in the best league in the world, and is a solid starter.

She's come a long way from her freshman year at Hercules High.
Another quibble: Brittany was drafted in 2015, and missed most of her second season after the Achilles injury; that's not what I call a long career, even in women's team sports. I agree that she's solid now, and I hope a combination of increased coaching experience, fewer injuries, and a good draft pick will cohere to the team's benefit. (Playing at Madison Square Garden again might be the best boost of all, but that depends on who buys the Liberty. Personally, I want them to play at Barclay Center in Brooklyn so I can visit my family there and walk to Liberty games.)
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
wbbilluminati
I wouldn't say "peaked", though I think I know what you mean in that it doesn't appear she will have a quantum leap and suddenly develop "WNBA-caliber" shooting ability.

Solid albeit modest shooting % improvements across the board and of course a fantastic 5.3 assists per game for #5 in the league.

Britt has grinded her way into sort of a Ticha Penicheiro-lite type player in the WNBA.

Indeed, NY had a terrible record: 7-27. So it's impossible to forecast their starting lineup or main rotation for next season since they might shake things up in the offseason.
ClayK
"Sort-of" is definitely the adjective for Ticha Penicheiro.

Penicheiro led the league in assists for seven years, and though she couldn't shoot either, she might have been the best passer the league has ever seen.

Boyd is a good passer, but many of her assists come off her right-hand penetration, which comes from her explosiveness and aggression. She's in a pretty good situation with New York, because they need help at a lot of other positions, so her spot is secure.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.