Jaelyn Brown

2,526 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HoopDreams
wvitbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There has been much talk about next season but not much about Brown. If I was to ask you who had the best 3 point per cent age among returning players, most would be surprised to know Anigwe led the team in that per cent age with 54.5 %. But suppose i asked you who was second. Again that would surprise you as Brown shot 37.9 % to gather the runner up slot. There was a series of games where she was on fire.

I think she may be the most important returning player. Since Cowling left, she will be the most athletic player left along with Moseley. Great vertical leap and she is taller than the other guards. Cowling was our best defender last year and she could defend wings and guards. That role will go to Brown now.

She should also give us needed rebounding from the wing position. And we will need it.

The second person I think is important is Styles. I saw her play in high school and in the preseason practice open to the public. And I thought she was improved from high school. And I think she could move out to the three point area. She can play a little post too. And hopefully she will rebound.

I saw Styles go against Angel Jackson in high school. And Angel looked bigger. Styles is listed at 6'3" and so is Jackson but I thought Jackson was more like 6'5". If she signs I will catch one of Salesian's games this year.

annarborbear
I am still concerned about sticking with Lindsay's previous system and merely sticking square pegs in round holes due to roster imbalance. That is what happened to Cowling when we had to put her outside as a guard. Hope that we will see a true small ball system and strategy this year that recognizes the strengths and weaknesses of this particular roster.
HoopDreams
Good posts. Yes Brown will be an important piece, and I didn't really think about her being the defense replacement of cowling. Good point, and agree we will need rebounding from that position

As a junior, now it's her time to step up
Lone Star
wvitbear said:

The second person I think is important is Styles. I saw her play in high school and in the preseason practice open to the public. And I thought she was improved from high school. And I think she could move out to the three point area. She can play a little post too. And hopefully she will rebound.

I saw Styles go against Angel Jackson in high school. And Angel looked bigger. Styles is listed at 6'3" and so is Jackson but I thought Jackson was more like 6'5". If she signs I will catch one of Salesian's games this year.

Styles is 6'3" and is not a consistent 3-point shooter. Agree Brown needs to step up her game this year. She should be in the top 2-3 on the team in terms of scoring and rebounding.
HoopDreams
Lone Star said:

wvitbear said:

Styles is 6'3" and is not a consistent 3-point shooter. Agree Brown needs to step up her game this year. She should be in the top 2-3 on the team in terms of scoring and rebounding.

Wow, top two or three? That's a tall order for a freshmen, especially on a team with 3 seniors who are all scorers

I'm hoping she can defend and score when the right opportunity is there
Lone Star
HoopDreams said:

Lone Star said:

wvitbear said:

Wow, top two or three? That's a tall order for a freshmen, especially on a team with 3 seniors who are all scorers

Uh, read a little more closely. It says: "Agreed BROWN (as in Jaelyn) needs to step up her game...."

And, Styles is now a sophomore......
Schroeder71
Jaelyn fits the definition of a "streak" shooter. She'll go off for 15-20 points but will also have games when she is
largely invisible (0-5 ppg). Jaelyn has multiple shots that she can get off and needs mix 'em up. She can hit the trey but is also excellent with her pull-up jumper (best on the team!) from 12-15 feet. Brown needs to work on her finish at the basket on her drives. No doubt that she can become a major factor on offense this season. GO BEARS!
HoopDreams
Lone Star said:

HoopDreams said:

Lone Star said:

wvitbear said:

Uh, read a little more closely. It says: "Agreed BROWN (as in Jaelyn) needs to step up her game...."

And, Styles is now a sophomore......
sorry, my bad
wvitbear
One more3 note on Styles. when I saw her in the scrimmage practice. She was hitting 15 cooers regularly. She shot 73.3% from the free throw line which was third best on the team. To extend her range another 4 feet is not unheard of.
HoopDreams
wvitbear said:

One more3 note on Styles. when I saw her in the scrimmage practice. She was hitting 15 cooers regularly. She shot 73.3% from the free throw line which was third best on the team. To extend her range another 4 feet is not unheard of.
(many) players improve in the off season, so it's a good sign for her ... or it just wasn't the role the coaches wanted for her last year. either way, you can never have enough shooters
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.