Podcast Interview w/ Coach Gottlieb The Jump Around with Blake DuDonis

1,309 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by annarborbear
wbbilluminati
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://soundcloud.com/blake-dudonis/cal-head-coach-lindsay-gottlieb

Key points:
Dad attended the Martin Luther King "I Had a Dream" speech

Seemed to admit she had expected things to be a little easier and more successful after making the Final 4 so early

Thinks the restoration and "investment" of the Cal WBB with the 2005 class recruits and hiring Joanne Boyle caused other conference schools to followed suit in investing more in their WBB programs, hence why Pac-12 is so good now.

I never really thought of it that way, but tend to agree with this.

Seems ambivalent about the improvement of Pac-12: makes it possible to finish around the middle of conference standings & still make NCAA's but just makes it harder to rack up wins.

Says that the close loss at home to Texas in the NCAA 2nd round during Boyd/Gray's senior years slightly haunts her.

I was surprised by this. I didn't really sulk over that loss as much as I did the loss to Louisville in the Final 4.

Broke down statistics of all the Sweet 16 teams from last year to demonstrate of why Cal *did not* belong in the Sweet 16 last year.

She herself noted this was a departure from her usual approach in motivating the team, and I kind of liked the idea.

Doesn't talk a lot about forecasting this season, but incidentally drops "could win 25 games or so" whiling talking about Asha Thomas.
GATC
wbbilluminati said:

Key points:

Seemed to admit she had expected things to be a little easier and more successful after making the Final 4 so early

Thinks the restoration and "investment" of the Cal WBB with the 2005 class recruits and hiring Joanne Boyle caused other conference schools to followed suit in investing more in their WBB programs, hence why Pac-12 is so good now.

Seems ambivalent about the improvement of Pac-12: makes it possible to finish around the middle of conference standings & still make NCAA's but just makes it harder to rack up wins.

Says that the close loss at home to Texas in the NCAA 2nd round during Boyd/Gray's senior years slightly haunts her.

I was surprised by this. I didn't really sulk over that loss as much as I did the loss to Louisville in the Final 4.

Broke down statistics of all the Sweet 16 teams from last year to demonstrate of why Cal *did not* belong in the Sweet 16 last year.

She herself noted this was a departure from her usual approach in motivating the team, and I kind of liked the idea.

Doesn't talk a lot about forecasting this season, but incidentally drops "could win 25 games or so" whiling talking about Asha Thomas.
We should be 10-1 in non-conference so that should get us off to a good start. But playing UConn and 10 teams with a last year's Sagarin of 126 may not be a good tune up for conference play.
GATC
wbbilluminati said:

Key points:

Now I know what returning the top 3 scorers means - it includes Cayton who played one game last year.

The one comment she made that really stuck a chord is that she likes to control everything. If this were football she would be the HC, OC, DC and RC.
annarborbear
Looking at Lindsay's career, it might have been very helpful for her to work under one more very good coach before becoming a head coach herself. Knowing how someone other than Joanne Boyle approaches and coaches the game could have helped shape her own coaching philosophy and systems, especially as LG did not spend her own college years in a big-time college program. This is certainly going to be a year in which her degree of flexibility and innovation is going to be challenged.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.