Bears Win Season Opener 80-79 over Houston--Game Story

1,157 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GATC
pearbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Game story

I wasn't surprised this was a tough game, as the way Houston plays is a tough match up for us.

Caldwell may well end up being a sufficient ball handler for us against many teams, but last night, against this kind of pressure, it was not a good idea to have initiate offense so much earlier on. Things calmed down some when Smith and then Thomas took over these duties.

Anigwe is locked in early. Many may not see her growth, but I see improved strength and more consistent effort (better conditioning?) on both ends. Her rebounding looks better, as she grabbed a bunch of rebounds fighting off two players, and reaching way outside of her space (what's the technical term for that again?).

ncbears
So, what was the T on Gottlieb about?
I was also encouraged by how smart KA played with three fouls - and how the Bears changed defense to protect KA.
GATC
pearbear said:

Game story

I wasn't surprised this was a tough game, as the way Houston plays is a tough match up for us.

Caldwell may well end up being a sufficient ball handler for us against many teams, but last night, against this kind of pressure, it was not a good idea to have initiate offense so much earlier on. Things calmed down some when Smith and then Thomas took over these duties.

Anigwe is locked in early. Many may not see her growth, but I see improved strength and more consistent effort (better conditioning?) on both ends. Her rebounding looks better, as she grabbed a bunch of rebounds fighting off two players, and reaching way outside of her space (what's the technical term for that again?).
Good report.

I was going to predict that LG would start Caldwell and give her a lot of minutes but didn't expect her to lead the team in minutes. I guess she is being rewarded.

Anigwe showed improved effort, discipline and control - great to see. She was 21-9-1 (points-rebound-assist) her first and second years. She was 17-9-1 her last year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.