CAL vs UCLA

4,741 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GATC
annarborbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
19 TO's by us. 16 offensive rebounds by UCLA. Unfortunately, we have seen this movie before. Hard to overcome.
HoopDreams
i don't like complaining about refs (it's harder than it looks), but Cal got robbed on two big plays near end of game... the no-call foul knocking our player down who lost the ball, and then the KA block where the UCLA player was trying to get the foul, yet KA got a clean block.

both huge calls/non-calls against Cal
wbbilluminati
was expecting Caldwell to have a bigger impact for us. She was ranked as high as #6 for the class of 2014 by ESPN early on.
john1953
I agree. Referee's two huge non-calls of fouls probably decided the game.

Other keys,

• Bruins are beasts on the offensive boards.
  • Faster team than Cal plus great hustle to loose balls..
  • UCLA looked be well prepared for Cal's predictable offense.
  • Cal turnovers,forcing the ball. First half was especilly ugly.
  • Shot selection.

And the elephant in the room for three more seasons...
No Ionescu.

GATC
pearbear said:

It's as if we're not prepared for UCLA's quickness and length. So many passes tipped. And UCLA closes very quickly on shooters and down low.

It seems like we start off poorly each game because the other team is prepared for us and we're not prepared for them.

HoopDreams
john1953 said:

I agree. Referee's two huge non-calls of fouls probably decided the game.

Other keys,

• Bruins are beasts on the offensive boards.
  • Faster team than Cal plus great hustle to loose balls..
  • UCLA looked be well prepared for Cal's predictable offense.
  • Cal turnovers,forcing the ball. First half was especilly ugly.
  • Shot selection.

agree, we lost because of poor rebounding and too many turnovers
annarborbear
Our best teams had three deluxe rebounders in Brandon, Caldwell and Gray, with Boyd also hitting the boards. Now we are trying to do it with Anigwe, undersized Jaelyn Brown, and three perimeter players. No margin for error any more.
CalFanatic
Coach G doesn't have her teams prepped appropriately for different styles of play. How many times have we seen this over the years. She's going to continue to get a free pass because she got us to one FF, is extremely likeabke and a wonderful representative for the university. However, she is not a good coach.
socaliganbear
CalFanatic said:

Coach G doesn't have her teams prepped appropriately for different styles of play. How many times have we seen this over the years. She's going to continue to get a free pass because she got us to one FF, is extremely likeabke and a wonderful representative for the university. However, she is not a good coach.

Have you seen all the cool videos the wbball team produces tho?
ClayK
Which player has played the most minutes for Cal?

Recee Caldwell.

Unfortunately, Caldwell cannot shoot (33.3% overall and 23.9% from three) and is an inefficient passer (53 assists, 40 turnovers). Of course, this was apparent from her college career, so it's not as if she's a disappointment. She's the same player she always has been.

The problem, though, is that she is the best option for Cal right now, and so she plays more minutes than anyone else. Yes, she's a leader, and yes, she's experienced, but with a player like Anigwe, finding a top-shelf perimeter player to complement her and Asha Thomas would seem to have been a recruiting imperative. For whatever reason, it did not happen.

Now it's possible that Caldwell will outperform her previous college stats the rest of the way, but that's a lot more hope than anything else. And of course she and Anigwe (nine fewer minutes) will be gone next year.

And on a different note, taking away Anigwe's three-pointers, Cal is shooting 30.4% from beyond the arc. This long-standing weakness -- which the coaches are aware of -- has not been addressed, and it's a weakness quality teams will continue to exploit.

CalFanatic
socaliganbear said:

CalFanatic said:

I would write Coach G a 5 figure check to take the time spent- on these videos- and put it towards learning any form of help-side defense and/or basic boxing out drills. I understand the need for promoting your brand but quite frankly, what has it gotten Cal? It hasn't done anything for recruiting the last few years, has it?

I'm just truly at a loss right now. We all came off such a high from the Uconn game and now...this. I'll be at the USC game cheering hard and hoping for the season to be salvaged.
HoopDreams
The videos are great. I'm sure many fans, the players and recruits like them.

I wish we had Cayton. This is now two years that we've lost her. She adds a ton to this team. Hope she's back 100% next year.

As for this year, we are too thin in the front court, and UCLA's length hurt us.

One short term solution for this team might be Forbes.
SFCALBear72
CalFanatic said:

socaliganbear said:

CalFanatic said:

I would write Coach G a 5 figure check to take the time spent- on these videos- and put it towards learning any form of help-side defense and/or basic boxing out drills. I understand the need for promoting your brand but quite frankly, what has it gotten Cal? It hasn't done anything for recruiting the last few years, has it?

I'm just truly at a loss right now. We all came off such a high from the Uconn game and now...this. I'll be at the USC game cheering hard and hoping for the season to be salvaged.
They are marketing videos...to get people in the seats. Ticket sales = revenue. A crowd of 2,107 last night. Not bad. Stanford drew 2,557 for their game against $C.

Recruits want to know if the team is being supported, so there is an indirect effect.
Islander670
SFCALBear72 said:

CalFanatic said:

socaliganbear said:

CalFanatic said:

They are marketing videos...to get people in the seats. Ticket sales = revenue. A crowd of 2,107 last night. Not bad. Stanford drew 2,557 for their game against $C.

Recruits want to know if the team is being supported, so there is an indirect effect.
2012-13 (FF) - 2,481
2013-14 - 2,778 (includes Duke marquee game of 10,000+) ... take out Duke and it's 2,207
2014-15 - 2,652 (includes Louisville marquee game of 8000+)
2015-16 - 2,130 (includes Nebraska marquee game of 4000+)
2016-17 - 2,542 (no marquee games)
2017-18 - 2,330 (no marquee games)
2018-19 - 3,290 (includes sellout vs UCONN) ... take out UCONN and it's 1,784

Without the Uconn game, this is the worst season for average attendance at this point since the Final Four run, although wisdom would say Stanford/Oregon's/ASU and a Pink Game would push this average above 2,000 before the season is over.

The unfortunate is it's unknown what attendance would be like without these videos. That said, I doubt the purpose is to drive ticket sales. If anything, it's likely an added bonus if it happens to work. These videos are to let recruits know how cool the program is, how cool the coaches are and how cool it will be to be in these videos when they become Bears.
HoopDreams
conference games have better attendance than OOC games, so I think our average will increase
willtalk
blungld said:

What is it with this team? For the past few seasons, great out of conference. Then lose first game and go into a tailspin. So many mental and effort errors tonight.

Teams within the conference know the Bears too well and therefor can game plan for them better.
juarezbear
Bear8995 said:

blungld said:

What is it with this team? For the past few seasons, great out of conference. Then lose first game and go into a tailspin. So many mental and effort errors tonight.

Coaching.

I agree. I haven't questioned Lindsay's ability before, but her teams can't close. Am I also the only person who sees a massive difference in conditioning, especially compared to Furd and UCLA?
LodeBear
it has always been coaching. poor passing and poor defense against the three. it can't always be the players.
SFCALBear72
People talk about Coach Gottlieb and her coaching. What about the 3 assistants? How much are they contributing to player development, game planning/strategy and, most of all, recruiting? Perhaps a bit too comfortable in their positions (Smith, Felton, in particular)? hmmmm
annarborbear
SFCALBear72 said:

People talk about Coach Gottlieb and her coaching. What about the 3 assistants? How much are they contributing to player development, game planning/strategy and, most of all, recruiting? Perhaps a bit too comfortable in their positions (Smith, Felton, in particular)? hmmmm
With Lindsay's guaranteed $700k contract through 2021, Knowlton will not likely pursue a buyout even if things do go way south. Changing assistants is overdue, but not sure that Lindsay would actually change much or cede much authority. If we don't get going on a major winnng season in the conference this year, it is hard to imagine what will suddenly turn around both performance and recruiting over this next two-year period.

If you could put two future WNBA point guards out on the floor (Boyd, Clarendon) along with three superior bigs (Gray, Brandon, Caldwell), it wouldn't matter too much who is doing the coaching, But the lack of recent recruiting success is what is really going to do us in.
GATC
SFCALBear72 said:

The head coach has 100% responsibility for the assistants as well as the rest of the women's basketball program. Knowlton retweeted LG's tweet last night which was a subtle way of telling everyone that he is holding her accountable.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.