12 of top 20 high school teams at Miramonte Saturday

2,140 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ClayK
ClayK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've got to give Kelly Sopak credit for an impressive lineup:

9 a.m.: Las Lomas vs. Lincoln (Stockton) -- OK, no need to get up that early, really.

10:30 a.m.: No. 9 St. Mary's of Stockton vs. Bishop Manogue -- Bishop Manogue showed well at the Jamboree and if Kenna Holt is back, will be even better. And maybe Amaya Oliver gets on the court for SMS.

Noon: No. 11 Sacred Heart Cathedral vs. No. 16 Bishop O'Dowd -- great matchup between two gritty, talented teams that play hard all the time.

1:30 p.m.: No. 6 Heritage vs. No. 10 McClatchy -- How good is Heritage really? How good is McClatchy really? Much will be revealed.

3:30 p.m. (note the two-hour break here): No. 5 Miramonte vs. No. 14 Folsom -- Katie Harris is 6-6. Miramonte has no one 6-0.

5 p.m.: No. 4 Carondelet vs. No. 8 St. Joseph Notre Dame -- last year, St. Joe's put itself on the map with an upset win over Carondelet in the Miramonte gym. Will the aroma of revenge flavor this game?

6:30 p.m.: No. 3 Salesian vs. No. 2 Mitty -- Haley Jones (Stanford) vs. Angel Jackson (USC) in a Pac-12 preview. Oh, and all the other players are really good too.

8 p.m.: No. 18 St. Patrick St. Vincent vs. Castro Valley -- Did you know SPSV has lost only to Salesian?

That's 12 of the top 20 teams in one spot on one day ... should be something special.
CalFanatic
Are we recruiting the post from Heritage? I feel like it would be criminal not to go after a top NorCal player, considering our lack of post recruiting
CalFanatic
Abigail Muse is the name- needed a little refresher search there!
wvitbear
I mentioned Muse in a previous post playing at Bishop O'Dowd in another tourney on the 19th. Will also have Bear Valley there and Cardinal Newman. Bear Valley has a sophomore guard,Maya Blake, that Clay raved about and Card Newman had a guards that looked like the best player on the court against Pinewood. And That is Anaya Choice. Choice is a junior. Heritage is playing in the 6:00pm game so the post is back.

Thanks for the schedule of the Miramonte. Can you post the whole schedule of the BOD game. By the way, Lincoln of Stockton has a sophomore who is suppose to be pretty good.
Schroeder71
Archbishop Mitty has had their two transfers for two games now in January so the pressure is off of Haley Jones to score 25-30 points per game. The pair of six foot sophomores seem to be fitting in to their rotation nicely with 9
& 8 points, respectively, for SF Marley Langi and C Olivia Williams vs Sacramento High on Saturday.

http://www.maxpreps.com/games/girls-basketball-winter-18-19/archbishop-mitty-vs-sacramento/1-5-2019-K-ohmJvNbEK07YGDSWMD6g.htm#tab=box-score&schoolid=
annarborbear
Looked at some highlights of Muse. Not an elite athlete and needs strength, but has some very nice instincts for the game. Also engaging and intelligent in an interview.
ClayK
Her "little" sister, an eighth grader (Amanda) is taller and could well be better.

Hopefully, Cal has made connections with the family and Heritage coaching staff ...
wvitbear
Carondolet thumps Pine wood. I'll let Schroeder explain how.
Schroeder71
Congratulations to Carondolet! Obviously, Carondolet jumped out to sizable leads at the beginning of each half.
Pinewood fought back and trailed at intermission by four points in Concord. The third quarter was the killer for the Panthers as the Cougars expanded their lead to fifteen (49-34). The NCS power opened a 16 point margin to start the fourth quarter before the CCS power cut the deficit down to 6 points. Pinewood fouled and Carondolet
added two free throws to win by eight. Pinewood does not often trail by 16 points so kudos to Carodolet for knocking the Los Altos Hills contingent from the ranks of the undefeated.

http://www.maxpreps.com/games/girls-basketball-winter-18-19/carondelet-vs-pinewood/1-9-2019-gaZhJc7nak-JEtEEc_UWgA.htm#tab=scoretrkr&schoolid=f62e70f3-0c88-4711-9e52-3e9e132006b3

I would imagine that their size had something to do with the outcome. Ali Bamberger (6-3) will be a Washington Huskie next season. She could have been a legacy recruit to Cal if the Bears had aggressively courted her. Her father was a star center for the Golden Bears. Did the coaching staff ever offer Bamberger? Pinewood's tallest players are two freshman 6 footers that don't play...It sounded as if Pinewood did not connect often from three point territory which is their hallmark. Stanford recruit Hannah Jump is perhaps the top distance shooter in the Bay Area.

#3 Salesian matches up againt #2 Archbishop Mitty on Saturday at 6:30 pm. NCS will have the chance to upset both of the top ranked CCS teams in the same week. Mitty also faces Carondolet on the road later in the season.

Salesian & Pinewood have probably caused the most problems for Mitty of any teams in Northern California...
GO BEARS!
wvitbear
Her faster played at St. Mary's I think. Saw him play in high school from Walnut Creek.

The rule is you can beat Pinewood if they are not hitting their outside shots and you have some size which is what happened this game. Carondolet lead by as many as 16points in the third period.
Schroeder71
wvitbear--I believe that Bamberger did play for the Gaels. I remember listening to the Cal game on the radio and kept hearing the name Bamberger...My memory mistake.

Carondolet held Pinewood to approximately 14% on their three point shooting (3 for 22). The mad bomber, Hannah Jump, went 2 for 8 or 25%. Wow!

http://www.maxpreps.com/games/girls-basketball-winter-18-19/carondelet-vs-pinewood/1-9-2019-gaZhJc7nak-JEtEEc_UWgA.htm#tab=box-score&schoolid=
wvitbear
Anaya Choice was second team Northern Cal. She is a junior. There are four seniors on the first team. She is a wonderful guard.
wvitbear
Jzaniya Harriel was the only underclassman to make the first team all northern Cal team. She is also sophomore of the year and Sacramento player of the year. She plays for Antelope. Schroeder can tell us all about her.
bobbk
Harriet has a 4.7 GPA after taking a number of AP classes already
ClayK
So I asked her coach, and "Jzaniya" is pronounced "Ja-ni-ya." Just thought you'd want to know ...

She's the real deal, no doubt. Choice might be a little small for the Pac-12, but she's really good.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.