NCAA Championship Game

3,794 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by blungld
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gee, real hardcore fans, I see.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BearBint
Am listening to it here in England via Notre Dame's on-line audio stream.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
blungld
Baylor too strong...until Cox goy hurt. See what the 4th quarter holds.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
BearBint
N.D. and Baylor tied at 74, with 5 minutes to go.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
blungld
Just a fantastic game.

At the risk of being blasted, it's really hard to not go to full snark mode about the "praise God" and "God is good" statements after the game. So was God good when he blew out Cox's knee or only good when he willed them to win? Was God rooting against the Catholic Notre Dame? Was God showing a favoritism in Christian denomination? And why did they refer to God as "him" though they are women who are part of an ongoing gender equality narrative?

I really wish athletes would end this stupidity. Worship your God, but no "he" is not willing every moment of your sporting event and picking winners. It just makes their faith seem so simplistic and low brow. Are we going to start hearing this in all professions? Stockbrokers praising God for making them rich and making their investment choices correct? Helping the plumber get that toilet flowing, vs the devil who keeps the others clogged?

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
bearister
On the eve of battle Napoleon Bonaparte was once asked if God was on his side. Napoleon responded, "God is on the side with the best artillery!"

.....and if God did intervene in such matters, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be a Notre Dame fan.
wbbilluminati
Definitely an exciting game that probably ended as it should have as Baylor looked poised to pull away comfortably until Cox went down.

With Cox likely missing next season now, I think that really solidifies Oregon as a the favorite to win it all next year.
wifeisafurd
Good game. Lot of talent out on the court for both teams. Some of the best guard play I have seen this year in a women't game.
HoopDreams
with cox out, brown hobbled, and baylor's freshmen big fouled out, they actually said "baylor is really playing small now"

imagine that
BearBint
"I really wish athletes would end this stupidity. Worship your God, but no "he" is not willing every moment of your sporting event and picking winners."

Yet another reason, along with the school's official homophobia, that I never root for Baylor.
Schroeder71
Oregon & Stanford should be the best teams in the Pac 12 next season. I picked 'em to play for the national championship in my bracket this year but it's a better chance to happen in 2019-2020. Arizona won the WNIT w/ a young squad and should be tough along with Oregon State.

The other eight teams all lose major players so will have to regroup and/or rebuild. I would guess the middle four would be UCLA, Utah, USC & ASU. The bottom group should be Washington State, Washington, Colorado & Cal.
bearister
BearBint said:

"I really wish athletes would end this stupidity. Worship your God, but no "he" is not willing every moment of your sporting event and picking winners."

Yet another reason, along with the school's official homophobia, that I never root for Baylor.

That being the case, you must not root for ND either.
BearBint
"That being the case, you must not root for ND either."

Not much, although I liked McGraw's recent remarks about women in sports.
concordtom
bearister said:

On the eve of battle Napoleon Bonaparte was once asked if God was on his side. Napoleon responded, "God is on the side with the best artillery!"

.....and if God did intervene in such matters, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be a Notre Dame fan.

How many times have I posted this song on BI?
But gotta do it again after your call for it.
concordtom
wbbilluminati said:

Definitely an exciting game that probably ended as it should have as Baylor looked poised to pull away comfortably until Cox went down.

With Cox likely missing next season now, I think that really solidifies Oregon as a the favorite to win it all next year.
I saw a scroll last night saying she did not require surgery.
So, I imagine she'll be back full strength Game 1 in Nov., if not far sooner.
concordtom
BearBint said:

It's a southern thang.
Mostly.

bearchamp
Wow, are these maps current?
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
blungld said:

Worship your God, but no "he" is not willing every moment of your sporting event and picking winners. It just makes their faith seem so simplistic and low brow.

If you don't like "simplistic and low brow" positions, then STOP:
(1) Fabricating as simplistic and low brow positions as you can imagine, then
(2) Assigning those fabrications to those with whom you disagree, and finally
(3) Pretentiously ridiculing them for supposedly holding your fabricated positions.
blungld
Strawman would mean i invented a false position. You know, like how you just invented that athletres/fans don't credit or believe God is picking winners and invested in the outcome of sporting events.

Rather than "said no one," I think the phrase you are looking for is "says an athlete after almost every sporting event including the NCAA Championship game in question."

Sort of like this quote (which would be someone) by Russell Wilson: "That's God setting it up, to make it so dramatic, so rewarding, so special."

And this is just in sports. I hear "god's will" used commonly to describe outcomes dramatic and banal every day. Somehow its always God's will or plan when something good happens or when there is an imagined inperceptible good outcome to a bad event, but never agency assigned to bad events. So, praise God the baby survived the fire, but never damn god for burning down the house and killing the rest of the family.

Maybe YOU don't believe God decides sporting events, that doesn't make it a strawman for me to observe it repeatedly and comment on it. The strawman is all yours.

This article states 25% believe God is PRE-determining the outcome of the Super Bowl. Again, that constitutes many many more than "said no one,"

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/feb/03/god-super-bowl-51-patriots-falcons
roqmoq
bearchamp said:

Wow, are these maps current?
Don't really know. But I have done road trips in the South and based on these experiences, I believe that these maps reflect today's situation.
Lone Star
Baylor had Catholics on their team too so, it was even
blungld
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear said:

blungld said:

Worship your God, but no "he" is not willing every moment of your sporting event and picking winners. It just makes their faith seem so simplistic and low brow

If you don't like "simplistic and low brow" positions, then STOP:
(1) Fabricating as simplistic and low brow positions as you can imagine, then
(2) Assigning those fabrications to those with whom you disagree, and finally
(3) Pretentiously ridiculing them for supposedly holding your fabricated positions.
No response? Did I misunderstand you or do you stand corrected?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.