Karisma Ortiz enters transfer portal...

3,148 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by stu
wbbilluminati
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Haven't seen it mentioned but she announced it on Twitter a few days ago.

Ortiz Averaged 3.6 ppg and 4.2 rpg and a couple assists plus a steal per game. Nothing exceptional, but she must've been doing something right as she started most of her freshman season games at Penn State and averaged a good 25mpg.

stu
After Jaelyn graduates Kenzie will be our only wing. I can imaging Karisma playing the 3 or 4 position in a 4-out scheme if she's interested in coming to Cal.
ricehntr5
I mentioned in another thread that it was likely she would enter after coquese was fired. Unlike what stu says, I don't think the 4 would be in her best interest. She was a facilitating PG in hs and imagine she would want to be a guard moving forward. I'm sure cal has made a call, but I'm sure there are plenty others doing the same
stu
ricehntr5 said:

She was a facilitating PG in hs and imagine she would want to be a guard moving forward.
Is her game anything like Gabby Green's? FWIW I like the idea of a facilitating forward. This season we played 3 point guards , why not try 4? Everyone spacing the floor, looking for their teammates.
Schroeder71
Karisma Ortiz is a six foot combo guard that often brought the ball up the court for Archbishop Mitty. She was a great long distance passer and rebounded well for a guard. KO was the consummate team player. Cal is getting loaded with guards, however, without any front court recruits. April, the new assistant coach, will attempt to help here as she is a strong recruiter plus coaches post players. I would be fine with the former Monarch star coming to Berkeley but I don't want too much roster imbalance. GO BEARS!

stu
Schroeder71 said:

Cal is getting loaded with guards, however, without any front court recruits.
In the last 4 recruiting cycles (entering 2016/17/18/19) I count 6 guards, 2 wings, 2 forwards, and 1 center. Of course every year circumstances are different, but over 4 years I too would like to see more than 3 bigs. I think 2020 would be a good time to start.
puget sound cal fan
The impact of Stu's post is if the Bears sign a capable Center in the nest class, she'll have to start as a freshman unless the recruit is a grad transfer since CJ graduates after this season. The drought of bigs will come home to roost.
stu
puget sound cal fan said:

if the Bears sign a capable Center in the nest class, she'll have to start as a freshman unless the recruit is a grad transfer since CJ graduates after this season.
Having the position empty scares me a little, but in the past we have started quite a few freshies. I suppose the prospect of instant playing time is a recruiting incentive.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.