Recruiting

28,161 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by wbbilluminati
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
two cal coaches liked ...

puget sound cal fan
Looks like a talented guard, but the Bears need bigs. What's up?
Intuit

Regardless Puget, she is a scoring machine. Check out her pullup on the attached UTube video.

She's got a Quick trigger, no?
Harborview
SFCALBear72
puget sound cal fan said:

Still early. Coaches are still evaluating players. The four coaches were at four different sites last weekend. Next up: Offers
bobbk
Former Mitty star Ortiz is on her official visit at cal this weekend
Intuit
Sue Phillips @coachphillips

Best wishes to @AMHSAthletics WBB Alum @KarismaOrtiz on her official visit to @CalWall tis weekend!

Harborview
HoopDreams

stu
She appears to be Amaya Bonner, a guard or wing listed between 5-9 and 5-11. Clay should know more as O'Dowd played Miramonte in a postseason game.
ClayK
We played them twice, actually, and Bonner is really good. She gave us problems in the second game, especially ...

She's a 5-11 wing who didn't show three-point range against us, but went left to the hoop pretty consistently. Athletic but not a presence defensively, but then again, she was a freshman.

She'll have every chance to prove her worth for O'Dowd next year, as their two D-1 guards graduated and she will carry a lot of the load.
wifeisafurd

yea, what is up? Even guard- oriented teams (if that is the direction LG is headed) need some bigs.
stu

No problem. She's a 2022 and I think it's a good idea to recruit at least one guard every year.
OBear073akaSMFan
stu said:

No problem. She's a 2022 and I think it's a good idea to recruit at least one guard every year.
I was going to make the same comment but think Puget sounds' remark was based on the recruiting of Deja Kelly, a 2020 recruit.
Schroeder71
I don't understand why Gottlieb is offering frosh recruits from the Class of 2022? If the plight of the basketball team doesn't materially improve next season (very doubtful), she won't survive 2019-2020! I hope Karisma Ortiz enjoys her visit this weekend...GO BEARS!
annarborbear
Karisma shot only 36% from the field and 21% on threes last year at Penn State. If we are going to recruit more guards, we need to concentrate on someone who can shoot.
wifeisafurd
stu said:

Big problem: not hearing much positive in the way of bigs for 2020, 2021 or 2022. KA is gone sports fans.
GOLDEN
wifeisafurd said:

stu said:

Big problem: not hearing much positive in the way of bigs for 2020, 2021 or 2022. KA is gone sports fans.
UCLA is heavily pursuing Kylee Watson. Would not be a bad idea to get in the mix with her.

HoopDreams
Seems like WBB is getting more and more like MBB in many ways. Getting more popular, more transfers, more players leaving early

And maybe that's a negative trend for Cal because we have the same recruiting disadvantages (and advantages).

Basically, like MBB there are many fewer front court players that can qualify for Cal, so our pool starts small.

Even with KA we've not had the quality depth in the front court and struggle to sign bigs.

Our best success has been signing overseas players, but so far the only one who has been a gem was Nina. Chen will get her chance this year, and we will see about our incoming freshman

I hate to say it, but we desperately need a practice facility for WBB just as much as for MBB.

wifeisafurd said:

stu said:

wbbilluminati
When Deja Kelly was in 7th grade she was ranked #1 in the class nationally and verbally committed to Texas.
wbbilluminati
The top three 2020's in NorCal all play for Cal Stars: Abi Muse, Bria Shine, and Amaya Oliver. Muse was described in a way that sounded like she might be a lesser version of Stanford commit Cameron Brink. Muse has a younger sister on the Cal Stars U15 team listed as being taller (6'4") and had some buzz on Twitter. The younger Muse is c/o 2023.

Another Cal Stars's player who did well was 6'1" McKayla Williams who plays her HS ball at Windward down South. She is said to be more of a wing than a front court player, however.

By far the most dominant Cal Star at Boo was Brooke Demetre. I think she was 2nd overall in scoring for the whole tournament. She was already a top 10 recruit for 2021 but sounds like she's getting even better.

Jordyn Jenkins 6'3" from Washington had a strong showing at the recent Boo Williams EYBL tournament. She's ranked #42 by Prospects Nation but it sounds like her stock is rising.

Ugonne Onyiah 6'3" Cal Sparks player is ranked #40 by HoopGurlz and visited Cal a few months back. Can't find much about her recruiting other than home visits from Duke and Utah. April Phillips's LA ties might help us with Onyiah.

wbbilluminati
A glimpse of Abigail Muse, the #1 prospects in NorCal.

6'2"-6'3" looks pretty mobile with great length. Has a 4.2 GPA

ClayK
I'm not sure I would classify Muse as the No. 1 NorCal prospect. I've seen her play two or three times this summer, and a couple times last year at Heritage. She is a very good shotblocker, but at this point, that's her most outstanding skill.

She could develop, of course, and may be the No. 1 post prospect in Northern California, but that's different than the No. 1 prospect.
wbbilluminati
ClayK said:

I'm not sure I would classify Muse as the No. 1 NorCal prospect. I've seen her play two or three times this summer, and a couple times last year at Heritage. She is a very good shotblocker, but at this point, that's her most outstanding skill.

She could develop, of course, and may be the No. 1 post prospect in Northern California, but that's different than the No. 1 prospect.
Thanks for the report. I was mostly referring to her being #1 b/c she held that spot with NorCal Preps for a while including their most recent update.

Got anything on Amaya Oliver and Bria Shine, Clay?
wbbilluminati
A name to keep tabs on, Clarice Akunwafo 6'4"-6'5" from Inglewood, ranked #18 by ESPN Hoopgurlz for the c/o 2021. Looks to have plenty of potential in this video:
https://videopress.com/v/GHMjKwoO
ClayK
I saw both Oliver and Shine Sunday, and at St. Mary's College.

Oliver is a very athletic 6-1 forward who doesn't shoot it that well and may not have a position at the next level. I've heard she has offers from P5 schools, but I can't remember which ones.

She's a good player and may have room to develop since she missed a year due to an ACL. She plays for St. Mary's of Stockton.

Shine, who's been offered by Davis, is also 6-1, but not as athletic. Also not really a great shooter, from what I've seen. I believe she sees herself as a three, but she may have trouble playing that position at the P5 level.

Of the two, Oliver would be more likely to help Cal, but to me, she's not a difference-maker in the Pac-12. Now if she becomes a consistent three-point shooter, different story ...

Caveat: I have been wrong before, and will be wrong again.
bobbk
Shine committed to Davis
bearwbbfan
Cal made the cut for top-50 Jordyn Jenkins, a 6-2 PF from WA, alongside Duke, USC, Oklahoma, and Washington.
LegoBear
We seem to be one the list for a lot more top players this year. Hopefully we can close on some of them.

puget sound cal fan
Coach Kinnebrew and Cal Stars have been good to Cal over the years, and Charmin has been a key to that relationship. Maybe Oniyiah will be the next Cal Star/Bear?
wbbilluminati
hey Clay, how do college coaches assess a players hands? Seems like it might be especially important for evaluating post players?

As a spectator I find that I'll first notice a post has "good hands" simply by how well they can catch entry passes, then I'll look a little closer and, lo and behold, the ones who are catching well often have big mitts.

School me, if you don't mind. :-)
wbbilluminati
Great news.

A) it's nice to hear any update on Onyiah, as I hadn't heard much except that Utah and Duke were in the mix since she came onto our radar after a Tweet about an unofficial here that took place maybe even a year+ ago.

Then B) we're still on her (albeit long) list, and C) it's very promising news that we're her 1st visit, as recruiters seem to jockey for that position and say it tends to be a big advantage or good omen in recruiting battles

CalFanatic
Land Fatou and Ugonne and all of a sudden the conversation changes. We've got guard play figured over the next few years... these two are the missing pieces in the post.
bearwbbfan
Just a general announcement: I believe Onyiah goes by and prefers Michelle.

It would be really, really nice to land two of the Onyiah, Samb, and Jenkins mix, and even one would be a step up from our recruiting of inside players with height over the last few years. There is a lot of really good talent in CA in 2021 too, particularly 6'2+ talent (and Harriel).
ClayK
Interesting question about evaluating hands because it's one of those things that seem impossible to teach or improve.

Basically, you just watch, I think, but here's the hard part: With posts, you also have to factor in the entry pass, and entry passes are also very hard to teach. (In fact, passing in general is a difficult skill to teach, as game situations are really the only time it's tested.)

Great question, no obvious answer ...
wbbilluminati
ClayK said:

Interesting question about evaluating hands because it's one of those things that seem impossible to teach or improve.

Basically, you just watch, I think, but here's the hard part: With posts, you also have to factor in the entry pass, and entry passes are also very hard to teach. (In fact, passing in general is a difficult skill to teach, as game situations are really the only time it's tested.)

Great question, no obvious answer ...
Thanks Clay! Sounds like you just gotta observe as much as possible, then the judgment/assessment kinda forms subconsciously.

stu
I'm not surprised a number of highly-rated 2020 bigs are considering Cal. We have a long record (since 2005) of developing posts and we'll have none returning in 2020.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.