Recruiting

28,162 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by wbbilluminati
GATC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UrsineMaximus said:

Schroeder71 said:

Oregon State has two 6-9 girls, one 6-7, another 6-6, 6-4, 6-3, 6-2 & four quality guards to shoot from the outside.

It will take Cal awhile to catch-up in the height category. GO BEARS!
But not in the athletic category. Fine put your tall team up against us, we will counter with a small athletic team that can run and steal from your bigs. That is what coaching is all about and Coach Smith can and will manage that. Which she did exactly against the Hogs. Games are much more than height and talent; the coaching and in-game management is YUGE, especially for a young team.

Go Bears!!

Actually I think we will do well against a tall team. Brown (who jumps center) and Styles can rebound against taller players and they lead the break when they get the ball. Most of our players are good in transition too.
ClayK
Mia Mastrov, a 2021, is the most talented player at Miramonte, and the other 2021 starter, Jordan Allred, has committed to Idaho.

2020 Erin Tarasow is going to Seattle. No other seniors are P5 candidates.

Charmin was at our last game.

Connect the dots.
CalFanatic
ClayK said:

Mia Mastrov, a 2021, is the most talented player at Miramonte, and the other 2021 starter, Jordan Allred, has committed to Idaho.

Connect the dots.

I love her on film. She reminds me of a mini Sabrina. Good to know Charmin is recruiting her!
3Cats4CAL
Hope she doesn't choose Oregon like how SI did.
wbbilluminati
CalFanatic said:

ClayK said:

Connect the dots.

I love her on film. She reminds me of a mini Sabrina. Good to know Charmin is recruiting her!
I do too! Kind of reminds me of the Euro we're bringing in but possibly a bit faster/more athletic. Very skilled game.

Mastrov is rated s 4-star by NorCal Preps. The girl from Antelope there only 5-star at this point. Usually 5-stars correlate with at least being a top 100 kid nationally for them.
stu
Another player who looks interesting to me is Rayah Marshall, a 6-3 2021 guard from Long Beach. I suppose every program in the country is after her but who knows? She'd fit right in with our 2020 class.

annarborbear
stu said:

Another player who looks interesting to me is Rayah Marshall, a 6-3 2021 guard from Long Beach. I suppose every program in the country is after her but who knows? She'd fit right in with our 2020 class.

Great excerpt on this player from California Preps:

"I'll let her mom Latonya Marshall, who works in the care giving industry, explain, 'I carried Rayah in my belly and prayed she'd care for others. Rayah phones me every so often and asks, 'Mom, can I please buy these size 4 shoes?' But you wear size 11 I told her. 'She goes on to tell me about this kid who only has socks to wear'. 'My classmate needs shoes more than I do.' Rayah will just show up at a convalescent home to share giggles with the elderly.'

'God answered my prayers on her unique level of giving. I gave her the middle name Unique hoping she would be a vision of giving, and she is.'

To know Rayah is to love her dearly. Now do you see why she's twice as good a person as she is a generational talent?"

85 Fly
@wbbilluminati- Without telling the young women's business (that's for her to directly comment in a media article if she so chooses at some point in her college career) I can definitely say "...confidence taking a hit due to lack of playing time..." is not the reason for transferring.
Just wanted to get that out there to everyone...

In other news- I hear its not a lock that McKenzie is at Harvard sitting out? Can anyone confirm that? And if she is there, wonder why she still left after finding out Coach Charmin coming back as HC? If you all have already discussed McKenzie transfer in an old thread, please forgive me I'm just getting back in the forum...so if you don't mind again, bring me up to speed-thanks!

OK, back to Bears recruitment discussions!
wbbilluminati
85 Fly said:

@wbbilluminati- Without telling the young women's business (that's for her to directly comment in a media article if she so chooses at some point in her college career) I can definitely say ..."confidence taking a hit due to lack of playing time..." is not the reason for transferring.
Just wanted to get that out there to everyone...
Yes, more a thought as to why she "transferred down" to a mid-major instead of a more lateral transfer. But of there could be a million reasons DeCosta picked LMU specifically, mid-major or otherwise.
annarborbear
As they say, the best view of Waco is seeing it in your rear view mirror as you are leaving town.
wbbilluminati
ClayK said:

Interesting question about evaluating hands because it's one of those things that seem impossible to teach or improve.

Basically, you just watch, I think, but here's the hard part: With posts, you also have to factor in the entry pass, and entry passes are also very hard to teach. (In fact, passing in general is a difficult skill to teach, as game situations are really the only time it's tested.)

Great question, no obvious answer ...
Thought of this discussion...

Breya Cunningham 6'3" freshman for La Jolla Country Day has some mitts. WOW. Her hands let her hold the ball out away from shot blockers when finishing.

She looks phenomenal. She and Brady in the year ahead might be end up the best Cali posts since Appel, C.Paris (and of course Ash & Dev <3).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.