The men's new HC Fox & his staff have added three new players already...

2,390 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Schroeder71
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal has replaced three top scorers that departed due to the coaching change. All newbies are foreign players and a fourth one has yet to make his college decision.

The Bears have a 6-10 PF from Australia, a 6-7 SG from Greece and a 6-2 PG from Toronto, Canada. The latter is a senior transfer. The player still pondering his future is a 7-0 center from Germany. I have no idea how good these players will turnout to be but I am impressed with how quickly the staff was able to gel/ rally together and bring in several prospects this late in the recruiting cycle. Cal had a full class of four but lost half of 'em. Now the new coaching staff has responded to the dire situation w/ a recruit class for 2019 of five players with a possibility for an even half dozen. Excellent recovery! GO BEARS!
stu
Schroeder71 said:

Cal has replaced three top scorers that departed due to the coaching change. All newbies are foreign players and a fourth one has yet to make his college decision.

The Bears have a 6-10 PF from Australia, a 6-7 SG from Greece and a 6-2 PG from Toronto, Canada. The latter is a senior transfer. The player still pondering his future is a 7-0 center from Germany. I have no idea how good these players will turnout to be but I am impressed with how quickly the staff was able to gel/ rally together and bring in several prospects this late in the recruiting cycle. Cal had a full class of four but lost half of 'em. Now the new coaching staff has responded to the dire situation w/ a recruit class for 2019 of five players with a possibility for an even half dozen. Excellent recovery! GO BEARS!
The PG from Canada is a freshie. The grad transfer SG is another Canadian who played in the US and just decided to come to Cal.

AFAIK the Cal men had an incoming class of three and retained two, the aforementioned PG from Canada and a PF from Texas. We lost one, a SG also from Texas.

So far I'm impressed with our men's international recruiting, though I haven't seen any of them play.
mbBear
was this a public service announcement for the folks who are here only for the women's board?
rollonyoubears
I get the point of the original poster: men's BB recruiting seems to have positive momentum, while the women's recruiting seems to be lagging behind, as we hear about recruit after recruit signing elsewhere, other teams racking up recruits, etc. I do my rounds of checking the free and paid men's BB and football forums, then come here to read....practically nothing. I love LG as the women's BB coach, however, it just seems she can't recruit. I just saw on a different post how she's being compared to Elizabeth Holmes. As far fetched, bizarre and ludicrous as that seems, I get the point he/she was trying to make: false promises, eventually outed as a 'fraud'. LG is a decent to good coach, however, not a complete fraud. Seems kinda of a harsh and unfair comparison.
Schroeder71
Thank you for the correcions, Stu. Both those guards are from the Toronto area. I was focusing on the recruits picked up by the new coaching staff.
SFCALBear72
rollonyoubears said:

I get the point of the original poster: men's BB recruiting seems to have positive momentum, while the women's recruiting seems to be lagging behind, as we hear about recruit after recruit signing elsewhere, other teams racking up recruits, etc. I do my rounds of checking the free and paid men's BB and football forums, then come here to read....practically nothing. I love LG as the women's BB coach, however, it just seems she can't recruit. I just saw on a different post how she's being compared to Elizabeth Holmes. As far fetched, bizarre and ludicrous as that seems, I get the point he/she was trying to make: false promises, eventually outed as a 'fraud'. LG is a decent to good coach, however, not a complete fraud. Seems kinda of a harsh and unfair comparison.
Just to give you some perspective on the recruiting comparisons mentioned here. Coach Fox needed to replace three transfers from last year's team (Sueing, Vanover and McNeil) and one signed recruit who decided to go elsewhere after the coaching change.

Coach Gottlieb has four recruits (3 guards, 1 forward) coming in next season plus one transfer from San Diego State who will sit-out the coming season. The Bears also lost a transfer (Kianna Smith) to Louisville. A grad transfer would be nice too. Last year, grad transfer Recee Caldwell didn't announce her decision to come to Cal until late May. So maybe it's still a possibility.
Schroeder71
SFCB72-one similarity is that both the men's and women's teams lost the majority of their scoring. The women lost their top four: three to graduation and one to transfer. The men lost their three top scorers due to transfer plus their top-rated recruit.

Both teams are facing steep uphill climbs in 2019-2020...GO BEARS!
Schroeder71
Huge German center, Lars Thiemann (7-0 240), commits to Cal on his official visit this weekend!

https://bearinsider.com/s/1424/bears-dip-into-international-pool-again-with-commitment-from-german-center-thiemann

Welcome, Lars! GO BEARS!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.