Coquese Washington

2,158 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ClayK
annarborbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When we had our assistant coaching slot open with Charmin's departure, I had suggested that we try to hit a recruiting home run and hire Coquese Washington after she had been let go at Penn State, even though she had just brought in a top-ranked recruiting class at that institution. Several people said that Washington would not take a step back like that, and that it was unrealistic. Washington is now a newly-hired assistant coach at the University of Oklahoma.
ricehntr5
when I posted my dissent in the earlier thread I wasn't referring to the title that she would be taking... I was talking about the amount of money, and the quality of play she would have to deal with. She is probably making more money than she would here, but lets call it the same money.. Norman OK has a median income of like 40k and median house prices are <200k.. (I think we all know what the bay area holds). Add that on top of the fact that when you are trying to advance your career by taking a secondary role, you do so under a legend if you can, which sherri cole is and LG definitely is not. I'll bet Coquese gets a new head gig in a couple years (unless she falls in love with Norman). I couldn't see any Cal assistants getting a head job in a power 6 conference..

to suggest that those 2 assistant positions are on the same level for someone qualified to be a head coach is laughable
annarborbear
That's a reasonable argument. You are basically saying that LG is not good enough to attract a great, experienced assistant and that such an individual would rather live in Norman Oklahoma than to come to the Bay Area under current conditions.I will buy that.
SFCALBear72
Coale and Washington have a history of working together. Coale was the U.S. Head Coach for the 2013 World University Games in Russia. Washington was one of her assistants.

U.S. won the gold medal.

(Thank you Sooner website.)
ClayK
And Sherry Coale has been under fire for a few years, so it's possible that Washington is positioning herself to succeed Coale in the not too distant future.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.