Gottlieb to Cavs

4,908 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by OBear073akaSMFan
DavisBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ESPN is reporting that she will join the NBA's Cleveland Cav's as an assistant coach
smh
DavisBear said:

ESPN is reporting that she will join the NBA's Cleveland Cav's as an assistant coach

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26956684/sources-cavs-hiring-cal-coach-gottlieb-staff

Quote:

In a landmark appointment for the NBA, the Cleveland Cavaliers are hiring University of California-Berkeley women's coach Lindsay Gottlieb to be an assistant coach on John Beilein's staff, league sources told ESPN.

Gottlieb -- a Final Four and seven-time NCAA tournament head coach for the Golden Bears -- is the first women's collegiate head coach recruited to an NBA staff.

Sources said Gottlieb, 41, will sign a four-year contract and is expected to play a prominent role in support of Beilein and associate head coach JB Bickerstaff. Commissioner Adam Silver has been determined for the league to welcome more women's coaches into its ranks, and Gottlieb's stature and coaching credentials are unprecedented among women's coaches in the NBA.. ..

muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
HoopDreams
When I went to the espn nba sight I expected to see the update on KD. Instead I see this and thought I was seeing things
DavisBear
I wonder what the pay is for an NBA assistant?
Schroeder71
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/cleveland-cavaliers-make-historic-hire-of-cal-womens-coach-lindsay-gottlieb/ar-AACMCRi?ocid=spartandhp

Lindsay Gottlieb grabs an assistant job in the NBA. I think that she knew this was the perfect opportunity to make this move. Now-Cal will not have to buy her out of her contract. Thankyou HC Gottlieb for the Final Four memory and your dedicated work with the women's team. It is time for a change in leadership and approach.

I wonder who might be coming to Berkeley to rebuild the women's program? The new AD should pursue a national search...I hope that they bring in a promising young coach w/ charisma that can recruit...It should be fun to watch the reshaping of the women's team. I wonder if any of the four incoming recruits will want to depart? Hopefully the players were sold on the academics of Cal.

For the first time in a while I'm excited about the future of the women's program! GO BEARS!
roqmoq
DavisBear said:

I wonder what the pay is for an NBA assistant?
From JobMonkey.com:

As far as assistant salaries go, NBA assistants usually bring in anywhere from $300,000 to $1 million depending on their experience and success, whereas assistants in other leagues can range from as low as $35,000 to $200,000 with a lot of variables playing into the salary.

As with most jobs, the success and background of the coach, whether it is a head coach or an assistant, has a direct correlation on the amount they can command when negotiating a salary. However, more goes into it than just success on the court.

Did the Cavs match LG's Cal deal?
CalFanatic
Congrats on breaking barriers, Coach G! Segment from Coach G's interview tonight below.

HoopDreams
Oski87
She got a 4 year deal. I am sure she got some level of bump up as well - maybe making 700K. It means she is also set later on to become either a head coach in the WNBA or back in College if she wants it when the Cavs thing ends (they do seem to go through coaches there). I would also say that she could conceivably become an NBA head coach but frankly that won't happen with her.

In other words, a great move for her.
OBear073akaSMFan
In other words a win win for both parties!
really

really
https://www.ocregister.com/2019/06/12/sparks-forward-ashley-walker-thrilled-her-former-cal-coach-lindsay-gottlieb-hired-by-cleveland-cavaliers/amp/
GATC
OBear073akaSMFan said:

In other words a win win for both parties!
This has to be a great move for her. With the top 4 scorers gone we will be lucky to finish 9th this coming season.

She inherited a team with Boyd, Gray, Clarendon, Caldwell, Brandon, Stallworth, Pierre, Jemerigbe, Lyles, Sherbert, Hartman, Cohen (injured). She leaves a team with Brown, West, Forbes, Styles, Yue, Cayton, Anastasieska (the last two missing almost 2 years with injuries) plus new recruits.

stu
Does anyone know if the Cavs are buying out the remainder of Lindsay's contract? I remember years ago the 49ers paid us significant money after they hired Mariucci. If so that would help the WBB bottom line.
roqmoq
stu said:

Does anyone know if the Cavs are buying out the remainder of Lindsay's contract? I remember years ago the 49ers paid us significant money after they hired Mariucci. If so that would help the WBB bottom line.
Saw a presser of LG and she said that she had an opt-out for the NBA in her Cal contract. So, no $$ for us. LG was apparently thinking of being a pioneer in the NBA years ago.

Quote:

https://www.nba.com/cavaliers/video/teams/cavaliers/2019/06/21/2656476/1561147333119-190621-gottlieb-media-avail-2656476
willtalk
People thinking LG was visiting NBA teams to learn and tweek her offensive skills now should realize that her intent was geared on making connections for an assistant job in the league. I suspect LG knew that a position for her was in the works for some time and wasn't just something that was a complete surprise. This might also explain the lack of effort in recruiting for the team.
SFCALBear72
willtalk said:

People thinking LG was visiting NBA teams to learn and tweek her offensive skills now should realize that her intent was geared on making connections for an assistant job in the league. I suspect LG knew that a position for her was in the works for some time and wasn't just something that was a complete surprise. This might also explain the lack of effort in recruiting for the team.
So be it. It's a done deal. Let's move on. Coach Smith is in charge now.
OBear073akaSMFan
I think it worked out for both side. From the sound of the posters most wanted a change at the top anyways. At least we aren't on the hook for her remaining salaries!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.