List of Candidates to Replace Lindsay Gottlieb

15,252 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by mbBear
WayneBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
(I don't want to overwhelm another thread with this long post, so I'm just starting a separate thread.)

I compiled a potential candidates list back in 2011 when we needed to replace Joanne Boyle, so here's a new list as we search for a replacement for Lindsay Gottlieb.

You'll notice that this year's list is much shorter. Part of that is due to the extremely inconvenient timing of Gottlieb's departure. The main season for firing and hiring has already passed and we missed out on some prime candidates who have been hired elsewhere (most notably former Cal assistant Kim McNeill who was hired by East Carolina, but also the tantalizing possibility that we could have been the program to have finally tempted Courtney Banghart away from Princeton). And to a lesser degree, there were some longshots among those who have since latched on as assistants at other programs.

But another reason the list is shorter is that the Cal position simply isn't as desirable as it was in 2011. Back then the program still seemed to have genuine prospects for improvement, and a new hire would have inherited an excellent roster without the need for immediate recruitment. But in 2019 we now look like a program that is firmly entrenched in the middle of the Power 5 pack, and if coaches from afar give any credence to recruiting rankings, we seem more poised to decline than improve. But it's still an opening for a non-bottom-dweller Power 5 team, and we still have intangibles like location and academic reputation, so we can still hire a very good coach.

Here are a few ground rules that will eliminate many good prospects. We shouldn't assume that we can steal a good lateral hire from a Power 5 at this point (though if such a coach loves the Bay Area or Cal enough to take a chance on us, then bless her heart). And realistically Knowlton would rather not have to explain why he hired a coach who left her previous position under a cloud (such as otherwise intriguing prospects like MaChelle Joseph or Connie Yori), nor would he want to explain that the new hire is really and truly a good coach even though her past season's record was in the toilet (so no to former Cal assistant Jennifer Hoover or San Diego's Cindy Fisher).

Furthermore, I eliminated even more prospects based on longtime institutional or geographical loyalty - I can't see someone finally leaving the Midwest or wherever at the later stage of a career for a job that suddenly opens up in June (unless they've previously been rumored as applying for jobs elsewhere). At my discretion I also eliminated those who might clash with our current lineup. I'm mostly talking about a coaching style that would require a total remaking of our current players and/or a remake of our future roster requiring extensive recruitment of a different type of player - I just can't see a coach leaving a happy midmajor position for that type of undertaking. (Yes, I know, good coaches should be able to coach any type of player, but I would rather see evidence that they've worked with Cal-type players before.) And finally I have to assume that hiring a male would still be viewed as a no-no. But to each of these points I've made a few exceptions as noted.

Here's the list. Unfortunately, most have no West Coast experience, so you should assume a bad geographical fit unless I state otherwise. Also, all are currently head coaches unless noted.

THE SAFE CHOICES (IF WE CAN STEAL THEM): These are all excellent midmajor coaches with definite potential to be successful at the Power 5 level. They would give us a very good chance of at least continuing to tread water in the 1st or 2nd round of the NCAA's (and who knows, maybe more). Knowlton can easily present any of these as a no-brainer choice.

Katie Abrahamson-Henderson (UCF): She has had a very good midmajor coaching career and based on what I've seen of her teams at Albany and UCF, her coaching style would be extremely well suited to the players that she would inherit at Cal. A very likable person (her last and only experience on the West Coast was as an assistant at Washington in 2007-08).

Michelle Clark-Heard (Cincinnati): The biggest obstacle is the fact that she just completed her first season with the Bearcats after a very successful run at Western Kentucky - I don't know if she would feel comfortable bailing so quickly and in June. Her coaching style fits well enough with our lineup, but she can be intense and given our loose play there could be a lot of yelling and glaring from the sidelines in the first season.

Karl Smesko (Florida Gulf Coast): Have to include him despite the gender thing and a coaching style (emphasizing the 3FG) that might not immediately suit our team. Every offseason his name gets thrown into the mix at some Power 5 opening (including at Oregon State before Scott Rueck was hired) and with good reason given his undeniable success. But to date he has always ended up staying and pledging allegiance to FGCU.

REASONABLY SAFE CHOICES: I would be delighted with any of the following but I could envision a scenario where the hire might not work as well as hoped.

Jennie Baranczyk (Drake): Another whose coaching style would not immediately suit our lineup, but you simply have to reach out to one of the very best young coaches in the game. She has very close ties to Iowa so she would be hard to steal but she's been as far west as Colorado (assistant from 2010 to 2012 before leaving for Drake).

Katrina Merriweather (Wright State): Another outstanding young coach but with only 3 years head coaching experience and from a weaker conference (Horizon), so I don't feel as confident that her early success would translate. But the Wright State style would really suit our lineup. EDIT: Eliminated due to serious NCAA academic violation (see post below).

Felisha Legette-Jack (Buffalo): Some (including her friend Gottlieb) might insist that she should be listed with the safe choices based on her success with the Bulls, and she is undoubtably the most unrelentingly positive person on this list. (If we chose her it would probably be the giddiest hiring announcement ever.) But I have a very clear memory of her failed tenure at Indiana and there's the gnawing suspicion that she's already at her pinnacle right now in the Mid-American.

THESE WILL TAKE A BIT OF EXPLAINING:

Kirsten Moore (Westmont): A former Cal assistant (under her maiden name Kirsten McKnight) and my sentimental favorite, but also a coach with an outstanding record at the NAIA level. This is an amazing woman who has persevered through tragedy and would be as good a role model as you could ever hope for. My personal opinion is that it might take 2 or 3 years for her to become an established success at Cal, but in the meantime you will see a team whose effort will do us proud. (I do not have time to research other non-Division I coaches, though I'm sure you can find a couple of dozen other fine prospects in that category.)

Raegan Pebley (TCU): This would be one of those unlikely lateral moves but maybe she would be tempted to return to California (previously head coach at Fresno State from 2012 to 2014). I know that some doubt her coaching despite a good record, and I could definitely imagine something going haywire with the coach and players not meshing. But as a last-minute replacement for Gottlieb, she could actually be a very decent choice.

Jennifer Gross (UC Davis): She's had a very successful tenure with the Aggies though with some spotty postseason results. I'm not sure her coaching style would translate well with the current Cal lineup but if Knowlton said here's our coach, I don't see how anyone could complain about hiring a successful coach from another UC campus.

Jason Flowers (CS Northridge): Definitely not the most impressive of records and there's the gender thing, but he always seems to make the best of the rosters that he's had. It would be very interesting to see what he could do with the talent that he would inherit and then recruit at Cal.

Melanie Balcomb (associate at Purdue): She's been a finalist for the Cal job twice, first when we hired Caren and again when we hired Joanne. She resigned from the Vanderbilt head coaching job in 2016, and has since shuffled around as an assistant at Texas Tech, South Carolina and was just hired as associate head coach at Purdue. It would be easy to say that her time has passed but if she showed interest again at Cal, I would absolutely say that she deserves a hearing given her long success with many different types of lineups.

THE ASSISTANTS WITHOUT HEAD COACHING EXPERIENCE: You could list a hundred but here are three who are bound to get a mention. I would probably wince at a selection from this category but then say, OK, whatever, that's great.

Kai Felton (of course our assistant at Cal): I don't see this at all, but if she was the choice I think there would be a comfort level for both the fans and players.

Niele Ivey (associate at Notre Dame): Constantly pushed by the media as someone who can leapfrog everyone and become a surefire successful head coach at a Power 5. I have no idea why the media is so sure.

Stephanie Norman (associate at Louisville): Longtime Louisville assistant who some thought was open to applying for the Oregon job before Kelly Graves was hired. West Coast connections are from long ago (last as an assistant at Oregon State from 2000 to 2002). I have no idea whether she would be a good head coach but I am as sure of her contributions to Louisville's success as I am of Ivey's to Notre Dame's.
SFCALBear72
Great analysis!!

Thank you.
stu
I always appreciate your research. Thanks!
puget sound cal fan
stu said:

I always appreciate your research. Thanks!
I wonder how this list compares with one Knowlton may have?
stu
puget sound cal fan said:

I wonder how this list compares with one Knowlton may have?
I'm wondering whether Knowlton has a list more than how it might compare.
stu
I also wonder if Travis DeCuire might be interested. He's making $175K (base) at Montana, Lindsay was making north of $600K at Cal.
annarborbear
Great list, with the especially helpful categorizations. I am also interested in coaching trees from people and programs one might want to emulate. Has the AsU coach produced any potential candidates that might now be ready to move up? Her teams are always ready and difficult to play, with great records despite an absence of stars.
mbBear
WayneBear said:

(I don't want to overwhelm another thread with this long post, so I'm just starting a separate thread.)

I compiled a potential candidates list back in 2011 when we needed to replace Joanne Boyle, so here's a new list as we search for a replacement for Lindsay Gottlieb.

You'll notice that this year's list is much shorter. Part of that is due to the extremely inconvenient timing of Gottlieb's departure. The main season for firing and hiring has already passed and we missed out on some prime candidates who have been hired elsewhere (most notably former Cal assistant Kim McNeill who was hired by East Carolina, but also the tantalizing possibility that we could have been the program to have finally tempted Courtney Banghart away from Princeton). And to a lesser degree, there were some longshots among those who have since latched on as assistants at other programs.

But another reason the list is shorter is that the Cal position simply isn't as desirable as it was in 2011. Back then the program still seemed to have genuine prospects for improvement, and a new hire would have inherited an excellent roster without the need for immediate recruitment. But in 2019 we now look like a program that is firmly entrenched in the middle of the Power 5 pack, and if coaches from afar give any credence to recruiting rankings, we seem more poised to decline than improve. But it's still an opening for a non-bottom-dweller Power 5 team, and we still have intangibles like location and academic reputation, so we can still hire a very good coach.

Here are a few ground rules that will eliminate many good prospects. We shouldn't assume that we can steal a good lateral hire from a Power 5 at this point (though if such a coach loves the Bay Area or Cal enough to take a chance on us, then bless her heart). And realistically Knowlton would rather not have to explain why he hired a coach who left her previous position under a cloud (such as otherwise intriguing prospects like MaChelle Joseph or Connie Yori), nor would he want to explain that the new hire is really and truly a good coach even though her past season's record was in the toilet (so no to former Cal assistant Jennifer Hoover or San Diego's Cindy Fisher).

Furthermore, I eliminated even more prospects based on longtime institutional or geographical loyalty - I can't see someone finally leaving the Midwest or wherever at the later stage of a career for a job that suddenly opens up in June (unless they've previously been rumored as applying for jobs elsewhere). At my discretion I also eliminated those who might clash with our current lineup. I'm mostly talking about a coaching style that would require a total remaking of our current players and/or a remake of our future roster requiring extensive recruitment of a different type of player - I just can't see a coach leaving a happy midmajor position for that type of undertaking. (Yes, I know, good coaches should be able to coach any type of player, but I would rather see evidence that they've worked with Cal-type players before.) And finally I have to assume that hiring a male would still be viewed as a no-no. But to each of these points I've made a few exceptions as noted.

Here's the list. Unfortunately, most have no West Coast experience, so you should assume a bad geographical fit unless I state otherwise. Also, all are currently head coaches unless noted.

THE SAFE CHOICES (IF WE CAN STEAL THEM): These are all excellent midmajor coaches with definite potential to be successful at the Power 5 level. They would give us a very good chance of at least continuing to tread water in the 1st or 2nd round of the NCAA's (and who knows, maybe more). Knowlton can easily present any of these as a no-brainer choice.

Katie Abrahamson-Henderson (UCF): She has had a very good midmajor coaching career and based on what I've seen of her teams at Albany and UCF, her coaching style would be extremely well suited to the players that she would inherit at Cal. A very likable person (her last and only experience on the West Coast was as an assistant at Washington in 2007-08).

Michelle Clark-Heard (Cincinnati): The biggest obstacle is the fact that she just completed her first season with the Bearcats after a very successful run at Western Kentucky - I don't know if she would feel comfortable bailing so quickly and in June. Her coaching style fits well enough with our lineup, but she can be intense and given our loose play there could be a lot of yelling and glaring from the sidelines in the first season.

Karl Smesko (Florida Gulf Coast): Have to include him despite the gender thing and a coaching style (emphasizing the 3FG) that might not immediately suit our team. Every offseason his name gets thrown into the mix at some Power 5 opening (including at Oregon State before Scott Rueck was hired) and with good reason given his undeniable success. But to date he has always ended up staying and pledging allegiance to FGCU.

REASONABLY SAFE CHOICES: I would be delighted with any of the following but I could envision a scenario where the hire might not work as well as hoped.

Jennie Baranczyk (Drake): Another whose coaching style would not immediately suit our lineup, but you simply have to reach out to one of the very best young coaches in the game. She has very close ties to Iowa so she would be hard to steal but she's been as far west as Colorado (assistant from 2010 to 2012 before leaving for Drake).

Katrina Merriweather (Wright State): Another outstanding young coach but with only 3 years head coaching experience and from a weaker conference (Horizon), so I don't feel as confident that her early success would translate. But the Wright State style would really suit our lineup.

Felisha Legette-Jack (Buffalo): Some (including her friend Gottlieb) might insist that she should be listed with the safe choices based on her success with the Bulls, and she is undoubtably the most unrelentingly positive person on this list. (If we chose her it would probably be the giddiest hiring announcement ever.) But I have a very clear memory of her failed tenure at Indiana and there's the gnawing suspicion that she's already at her pinnacle right now in the Mid-American.

THESE WILL TAKE A BIT OF EXPLAINING:

Kirsten Moore (Westmont): A former Cal assistant (under her maiden name Kirsten McKnight) and my sentimental favorite, but also a coach with an outstanding record at the NAIA level. This is an amazing woman who has persevered through tragedy and would be as good a role model as you could ever hope for. My personal opinion is that it might take 2 or 3 years for her to become an established success at Cal, but in the meantime you will see a team whose effort will do us proud. (I do not have time to research other non-Division I coaches, though I'm sure you can find a couple of dozen other fine prospects in that category.)

Raegan Pebley (TCU): This would be one of those unlikely lateral moves but maybe she would be tempted to return to California (previously head coach at Fresno State from 2012 to 2014). I know that some doubt her coaching despite a good record, and I could definitely imagine something going haywire with the coach and players not meshing. But as a last-minute replacement for Gottlieb, she could actually be a very decent choice.

Jennifer Gross (UC Davis): She's had a very successful tenure with the Aggies though with some spotty postseason results. I'm not sure her coaching style would translate well with the current Cal lineup but if Knowlton said here's our coach, I don't see how anyone could complain about hiring a successful coach from another UC campus.

Jason Flowers (CS Northridge): Definitely not the most impressive of records and there's the gender thing, but he always seems to make the best of the rosters that he's had. It would be very interesting to see what he could do with the talent that he would inherit and then recruit at Cal.

Melanie Balcomb (associate at Purdue): She's been a finalist for the Cal job twice, first when we hired Caren and again when we hired Joanne. She resigned from the Vanderbilt head coaching job in 2016, and has since shuffled around as an assistant at Texas Tech, South Carolina and was just hired as associate head coach at Purdue. It would be easy to say that her time has passed but if she showed interest again at Cal, I would absolutely say that she deserves a hearing given her long success with many different types of lineups.

THE ASSISTANTS WITHOUT HEAD COACHING EXPERIENCE: You could list a hundred but here are three who are bound to get a mention. I would probably wince at a selection from this category but then say, OK, whatever, that's great.

Kai Felton (of course our assistant at Cal): I don't see this at all, but if she was the choice I think there would be a comfort level for both the fans and players.

Niele Ivey (associate at Notre Dame): Constantly pushed by the media as someone who can leapfrog everyone and become a surefire successful head coach at a Power 5. I have no idea why the media is so sure.

Stephanie Norman (associate at Louisville): Longtime Louisville assistant who some thought was open to applying for the Oregon job before Kelly Graves was hired. West Coast connections are from long ago (last as an assistant at Oregon State from 2000 to 2002). I have no idea whether she would be a good head coach but I am as sure of her contributions to Louisville's success as I am of Ivey's to Notre Dame's.
I want one of the hottest HS coach in either NorCal or SoCal, knows the AAU circuit like its nobody's business, and that they are thrilled to work for half of what LG received...
ricehntr5
mbBear said:

WayneBear said:

I want one of the hottest HS coach in either NorCal or SoCal, knows the AAU circuit like its nobody's business, and that they are thrilled to work for half of what LG received...

Name someone that you think would translate to the college game...
BearBint
Thanks very much, WayneBear. You mentioned Kirsten Moore at Westmont:

"A former Cal assistant (under her maiden name Kirsten McKnight) and my sentimental favorite, but also a coach with an outstanding record at the NAIA level. This is an amazing woman who has persevered through tragedy and would be as good a role model as you could ever hope for. My personal opinion is that it might take 2 or 3 years for her to become an established success at Cal, but in the meantime you will see a team whose effort will do us proud. (I do not have time to research other non-Division I coaches, though I'm sure you can find a couple of dozen other fine prospects in that category.)"

Note that, like Scott Rueck, Moore has guided her team to a NAIA national championship. My sentimental favorite, too, as my favorite brother (average GPA, third-generation atheist, but a fine distance runner) went to Westmont on a track and field scholarship. He would be amused and delighted to see a Westmont coach at Cal.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
WayneBear
Oops, a major no-no for one of my "reasonably safe" picks, Katrina Merriweather of Wright State. I noticed that her history had a gap and I should have researched why before posting her name: NCAA committee issues two-year probation for Purdue

It happened 13 years ago but the severity and academic nature of the violation would eliminate her from consideration at Cal.
WayneBear
annarborbear said:

Great list, with the especially helpful categorizations. I am also interested in coaching trees from people and programs one might want to emulate. Has the AsU coach produced any potential candidates that might now be ready to move up? Her teams are always ready and difficult to play, with great records despite an absence of stars.

The only ASU staff member that I thought about was Meg Sanders, but seeing as how she is now occupying a special position on the staff (instead of her former position as associate head coach) I assumed she would not be interested in pursuing a head coaching position.
Fyght4Cal
Thanks WayneBear for your great post. It's good to know that Jim does have credible choices at this late date. I was wondering, though, why Charmin Smith is not on your list?
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
WayneBear
stu said:

I also wonder if Travis DeCuire might be interested. He's making $175K (base) at Montana, Lindsay was making north of $600K at Cal.

In light of the desire to hire a female (public proclamations aside), I set the bar higher for male coaches when I compiled my list. I believe Cal would set the bar even higher for hiring a male who is currently coaching men's basketball, so no I don't think Cal would invite that kind of PR problem.
joe amos yaks
I think several of these coaches are most excellent prospects (in no particular order of preference): Coaches Kirsten Moore, Raegan Pebley, Stephanie Norman, Kai Felton, and Niele Ivey.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
stu
WayneBear said:

In light of the desire to hire a female (public proclamations aside), I set the bar higher for male coaches when I compiled my list. I believe Cal would set the bar even higher for hiring a male who is currently coaching men's basketball, so no I don't think Cal would invite that kind of PR problem.
That's unfortunate but I'm afraid you're right. Another interesting male (who came up in conversations about our men's vacancy) is Justin Labagh.
WayneBear
Fyght4Cal said:

Thanks WayneBear for your great post. It's good to know that Jim does have credible choices at this late date. I was wondering, though, why Charmin Smith is not on your list?

I was idly speculating about Charmin with a friend yesterday, and we both assumed that she had gotten a heads up regarding Gottlieb's wanderlust before deciding to take flight to the WNBA. I don't know (or care) what other options Gottlieb was exploring but if they all involved ditching Cal, then Charmin would have known what might transpire at Berkeley and decided that it would be best to also leave. If she was hoping to become the head coach, she would have stayed and campaigned for the job.

Regardless of whether our speculation was right or not, it does raise another question that has never been answered. Does Charmin even want to be a head coach? Lots of people have speculated and campaigned on her behalf, and have filled in the blanks on why she hasn't pursued a head coaching position in the past, but I've come around to the belief that she may simply be more comfortable being in the supporting cast. Besides, as I implied in my post, I think it's a far better idea to hire an experienced head coach (even one who has never been on the West Coast) than taking a flyer on an inexperienced assistant (even one who is or has recently been at Cal).
Fyght4Cal
I generally agree that it's better to hire a head coach with a solid record. However, Charmin has been such an integral part of building this team, it seems that she might at least get some consideration.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
Intuit
Wayne gave us his list of 8 or 9 possibilities. I think it would be interesting to compare it to Clay's list. i hope Clay will share his thoughts on possible candidates to replace Lyndsay?
Harborview
ClayK
If Knowlton wants to get someone like Mark Fox, someone with P5 head-coaching experience, it's going to be tough.

And the cupboard is very, very bare. There's not much coming back, and no quality recruits. Presumably Knowlton will give whoever he hires two or three years to get the ship back on course, but in the meantime, in the toughest league in women's basketball, it's not going to be pretty.

annarborbear
Horstmeyer left behind a great recruiting class for Boyle. Boyle left behind a potential Final Four roster for Lindsay. Our new coach will be essentially starting over. That pretty much sums up the end results of our most recent coaching era.
wbbilluminati
I think Gonzaga's coach, Lisa Fortier, has by far the most impressive resume out of the seemingly realistic possibilities. She's from Grass Valley, I believe a very tiny rural town up North, so there may be some interest in living in NorCal.
mbBear
ricehntr5 said:

mbBear said:

WayneBear said:

Name someone that you think would translate to the college game...
I wouldn't begin to have a clue. But I don't get paid to know that. Again, its a big swing: some of it would be leap of faith to "translate to college," but its also about finding a person who would be willing to surround themselves with the right people, and know what they don't know.
Basically, I'm talking about someone who, in 5 years, is going to be the flavor of the month in women's college hoop...isn't it possible to get out in front of that?
WayneBear
wbbilluminati said:

I think Gonzaga's coach, Lisa Fortier, has by far the most impressive resume out of the seemingly realistic possibilities. She's from Grass Valley, I believe a very tiny rural town up North, so there may be some interest in living in NorCal.
Unfortunately, I do not believe Lisa Fortier is a realistic possibility and that's why I didn't list her after giving it a lot of thought.

Gonzaga may be in the WCC but in women's basketball they belong in the Power 5 category, and as I said "We shouldn't assume that we can steal a good lateral hire from a Power 5 at this point (though if such a coach loves the Bay Area or Cal enough to take a chance on us, then bless her heart)." I would like to assume that her hometown and her time at CS Monterey might make her look favorably at Berkeley, but that would have been pure speculation and I didn't want to encourage false hopes. My intent was to give people a realistic look at the possibilities that we will be facing.

Here's another way of looking at Fortier. Right now, her likely career path is stay at Gonzaga, continue to do a good job and get lots of credit and fan support for 1st and 2nd round NCAA appearances, and wait for an opportunity to jump directly to whatever she considers to be her dream job at a Power 5. But if she suddenly jumped ship in June and went to Cal (which basketball-wise is now a slight but very noticeable downgrade), she would leave behind some bad feelings at Gonzaga, have to work even harder to get a now-fading Cal to those same 1st and 2nd round appearances, and likely get modest fan support and little credit for a bottom-line result that simply matches a middling Gottlieb. Then if her dream opportunity at another Power 5 did materialize (assuming her dream job is something other than Cal), it would actually seem harder for her to get the job after treading water at Cal vs. having done an amazing job for all these years at Gonzaga. It just doesn't make sense (but if she secretly loves Northern California that much, then of course I would be delighted to steal her from Gonzaga).

By the way, I had to go through a similar thought process about Jennie Baranczyk. On the surface it would seem absolutely insane for her to uproot herself and her family from what appears to be a perfect situation at Drake just to take a chance on Cal. But after researching a bit, I thought her likely career path seemed more uncertain than Fortier's. I had assumed Baranczyk was the heir apparent at her alma mater Iowa, but in fact she may not be and since her program isn't Gonzaga (yet), other Big 10 programs might hesitate to hire her directly out of a weakening Missouri Valley Conference. Maybe she's been led to believe that she might have to take an interim job at a better midmajor conference before stepping up to the Big 10, in which case a shock offer from Cal might actually be appealing. It's unlikely she would accept but at least I could imagine a strained line of reasoning for Baranczyk which I couldn't for Fortier. (Baranczyk also did assist at Colorado for two seasons, the second of which was the Buffaloes' first in the Pac-12, so she at least has that passing familiarity with Cal.)
Intuit
Clay,

Given what you posted is accurate where do you think Knowlton should go to recruit his next woman's head coach?

Harborview
ClayK
I don't know what Knowlton's goal is, so it's hard to say ... and I also don't know the budget.

If his goal is to be as competitive as possible as soon as possible, then he needs to spend a lot of money, for both the head coach and assistants and expenses. If he's willing to offer $500,000 for the head coach plus good salaries for assistants, he can probably lure a Lisa Fortier or successful mid-major. I can't see him getting an established Power 5 coach for that much, though, given the sorry state of the program. But to be immediately competitive, he has to hire someone who has sent a lot of players to the WNBA, who has won a lot of games, and who has a dynamic system, and I don't know if he can find that person.

If his goal is to be willing to sacrifice the present and lay the foundation for long-term success, then he can look deeper into successful assistants and less-obvious mid-major coaches, but one issue is that bringing a Karl Smesko, say, in from the East Coast would mean it would take time to build up West Coast connections. Or he can go out of the box for a very, very successful high school/AAU coach and try to build it that way.

There are also a couple other issues:

1) How important will it be to hire a black female as head coach? This may or may not play into the decision -- again, we can't know from the outside.

2) How much does Knowlton grasp about the present situation? Does he realize that Cal is probably the 11th or 12th best team in the Pac-12 right now, and could be 12th if more players transfer? If he thinks they're better than they are, he might feel he can hire someone to turn things around very soon, but if he agrees with me and a lot of others that there's not much in the cupboard, he might be more willing to hire a young coach, or go out of the box.

All that said, it's hard for me to think of someone who would be available and who's a sure thing. With any assistant or mid-major, you just don't know how they'll adjust to the new level. You could say that Kelly Graves, say, could come in and win, but there aren't many elite coaches and none of them are likely to come to Cal.

Likely path: They hire someone who gets the program pointed in the right direction but loses a lot of games, and then fire them and hire someone else three years down the road, as at that point, it's a much better job.

stu
ClayK said:

I don't know what Knowlton's goal is, so it's hard to say ... and I also don't know the budget.

If his goal is to be as competitive as possible as soon as possible, then he needs to spend a lot of money, for both the head coach and assistants and expenses.
If his goal is to be willing to sacrifice the present and lay the foundation for long-term success, then he can look deeper into successful assistants and less-obvious mid-major coaches
What if he decides we'll never be a contender in the conference or get better attendance? Then his goal might be to cut the losses by spending less on coaches and recruiting. This is certainly not my preference.

With our men's team he hired a coach with a lot of experience, a good record graduating players, a so-so record winning games, and a personality seemingly different from Lindsay's. Also willing to work for a moderate salary. A safe choice, unlikely to fail but unlikely to make us a big winner.
annarborbear
Two other factors are 1) the overall financial condition of the athletic department; 2) absence of any major donors for this particular program. Those would both point toward giving a younger coach a chance to see what they can do, and with no major expectations for the next couple of years.

I would also think that he would look for someone who has been able to put up some wins with average talent, rather than an assistant from a program with big-time talent that may not be available here.
wifeisafurd
Good research in OP. I think a lot fo this all depends on process. Does JK use a search firm and then make a decision like Fox (which may work), or the process of asking around and picking based on word of mouth and Cal fit (like with Johnson). If it is the later, I see in no particular order:

1) Smith (former Cal)
2) Felton
3) Paye
4) Gross
5) Rueck
6- Perry
7) Langley (success at an academic school like Rice, and I believe she knows Knowlton)
8) Fortier
9) Cambell (male issue)

There are issues with each of these coaches, and Gross and Rueck might not come even for the right money (Gross' has assistant is hubby, Rueck is an Oregon guy). Perry, Fortier and Langley would be my leaders, and other than Fortier, are quite realistic. Paye and Smith are great fits on the academic side and would be slam dunks for the alums, but they are Furdies.

Here are more the search firm types:

Norman
Cheek
Ivey (great recruiter supposedly)
Johnston (male issue)
Drake coach
FSU coach
Kelly Bond White
Hatchell (a total Mark Fox type hire)
Smith (Elon coach (bad last season after two surprising NCAA appearances))

Most of these are in the main post and the analysis for them is great. The most likely on this list IMO is Norman. Ivey is on everyone's list, and I suspect she has other options more desirable than Cal.

I do think the issues about divesty and salary play into the choices. For example, Perry, Smith (former Cal) and Bond White might seem more desirable give they have the backgrounds at academic schools and are black, assuming JK will hire an assistant.
wifeisafurd
ClayK said:

If Knowlton wants to get someone like Mark Fox, someone with P5 head-coaching experience, it's going to be tough.

And the cupboard is very, very bare. There's not much coming back, and no quality recruits. Presumably Knowlton will give whoever he hires two or three years to get the ship back on course, but in the meantime, in the toughest league in women's basketball, it's not going to be pretty.

yes, agreed.
annarborbear
Just had a chance to go back and read WayneBear's analysis of potential 2011 candidates. Based on his prescient analysis in that instance, I would go this time with whomever Wayne Bear recommends.
bearchamp
We have quality recruits: just no bigs.
wifeisafurd
annarborbear said:

Just had a chance to go back and read WayneBear's analysis of potential 2011 candidates. Based on his prescient analysis in that instance, I would go this time with whomever Wayne Bear recommends.
Darn it Wayne Bear, who are you recommending and who do you think Knowlton actually picks?
Finnish Oski
People should probably forget the idea of Charmin Smith being considered for the Cal head coaching job or any other for that matter. If you've ever heard her "speak" before a group, you'll know why. I was her neighbor for a few years and she was painfully shy. Charmin's really good working with individuals but a lot of the duties a head coach has to handle would be very difficult for her.
WayneBear
ClayK said:

If his goal is to be as competitive as possible as soon as possible ...

If his goal is to be willing to sacrifice the present ...

Or he can go out of the box ...

There are also a couple other issues:

1) How important will it be to hire a black female as head coach? This may or may not play into the decision -- again, we can't know from the outside.

2) How much does Knowlton grasp about the present situation? Does he realize that Cal is probably the 11th or 12th best team in the Pac-12 right now, and could be 12th if more players transfer? If he thinks they're better than they are, he might feel he can hire someone to turn things around very soon, but if he agrees with me and a lot of others that there's not much in the cupboard, he might be more willing to hire a young coach, or go out of the box.

Knowlton's thought process is far less complicated than this. How can I be sure? Because the chances of a women's basketball hire being a defining moment in an AD's tenure are next to zero, so he'll just stick to conventional wisdom and look at what has worked (and not worked) at Cal and in the Pac-12 in recent years. He has absolutely no incentive to complicate things beyond that.

For Cal, conventional wisdom means going with a midmajor like Joanne or Gottlieb. (The only time anyone talks about the Caren Horstmeyer era and beyond is to reference the distant past, so those times are no longer relevant.) Joanne and Gottlieb worked out well, so midmajors will be an obvious starting point. If they are dissatisfied with that subset of interested candidates then they will happily go on to assistants and non-Division-I because there are examples right now in the Pac-12 where that worked.

There is no reason to try aim as high as possible and as soon as possible. No AD has ever talked like that about Cal women's basketball and there's no reason to start such a precedent. Also, Knowlton has surely heard over and over again about the yawning gap between spending and revenue in women's basketball and how that is taking money from the numerous other non-revenue women's programs at Cal. The Gottlieb departure is an opportunity to address that issue. So he won't go nuts (at least for an opening salary) but he probably doesn't want to go ultracheap either because that would invite editorializing on how ironic it was that Cal was taking advantage of Gottlieb's groundbreaking appointment to slash the women's basketball budget.

There is also no incentive for Knowlton to go outside the box. In the Boyle-Gottlieb era, when has that worked in the Pac-12? It's been tried once with Westhead so the moral of that story is don't go out on a limb and invite an unforced error. It's women's basketball for god's sake, just do what everyone else does and move on.

Putting the thumb on the scale to increase the likelihood of a black female is again a totally unnecessary complication. I see no incentive to be that cute. If it came down to two roughly equal choices one black and one white, then he might ask wouldn't it look better if we chose the black candidate. I will also admit that it did occur to me that IF he did cynically decide to go as cheap as possible with a lesser experienced assistant ("there were more nominally qualified candidates but when we interviewed Ms. Cheap she just blah blah blah") he might also cynically think that the ploy would be less likely to be called out if she were black. I pray that does not happen.

Finally, Knowlton will not hear anyone say that the women's basketball program is an unfolding or impending disaster because no one in his department believes that. Surely he understands by now that Gottlieb seems to have bailed out because the program was headed south. And someone has surely asked Kai about current and incoming players who are getting restless and the impact of Gottlieb's departure on upcoming recruiting. Kai will be measured in her response though I'm also sure she took the opportunity to warn of a rougher patch coming ahead (if only to say don't blame me). So Knowlton will know to be patient, expect us to remain "competitive" (intentionally worded to be vague) and then expect us to be back in the NCAA tournament in say 3 years. Why 3 years? Because that's how long AD's typically want to be left alone after making a women's basketball hire.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.