Forbes in the transfer portal

26,605 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GATC
bearwbbfan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ugh
CalFanatic
To me that is shocking. It seemed to me like she loves Cal. Bummer!
HoopDreams
most talented player on the team

right now we have brown and mi'cole if she's healthy

women's team in trouble
Lone Star
Not surprised. I believe she will end up either at an Ivy League school or, a smaller mid-major. Don't see her transferring to a high P5 school. Will also most likely petition for immediate eligibility given Lindsey Gottlieb's departure.
blungld
I hope new coach can reverse this. How the mighty have fallen.
Lone Star
"Mighty"? Not sure about that however, I believe this is a golden opportunity for a really good, young assistant coach from another program to come into a PAC-12 school and really re-build the program with no early high expectations.

Reading the one of the other posts regarding some of the coaching candidates I saw the name Stephanie Norman of Louisville. I think she is quite content to stay at Louisville as the Head Assistant coach however, Sam Purcell (of Louisville) seems like a very energetic young AC under Jeff Walz that may just be ready to step into the big time. He seems to be the guy that does alot of the legwork with their recruiting and if he becomes a candidate, he might talk to Beth Burns (formerly of USC and also at Louisville right now) to help him along the way in the PAC-12.

Just my thought on a hidden gem of a coaching candidate.
stu
stu
Baby Please Don't Go
Schroeder71
Why don't they wait to see who is appointed as the new headcoach?
stu
Schroeder71 said:

It might be timing. It's already late in the recruiting cycle and the longer a player waits the fewer schools will have openings.

Anyway Kenzie still has the option to stay at Cal, entering the portal just allows her to talk to other schools. On our men's team five players entered the portal. Three transferred, one stayed at Cal, and I'm not sure about the other.
willtalk
Schroeder71 said:

That might actually be in play. Entering the portal only opens up the option to transfer. It would be the smart thing to do because she might not really like the hire. If she likes the hire she can always stay.
Intuit
Doubtful she will remain under the circumstances she detailed in her departure announcement.

Harborview
Ashfield63
Kenzie Forbes wanting to transfer is understandable. Unless she really improves her game, I am not sure
a top notch program would recruit her. She did not seem to be in shape, and played poorly on defense. Granted,
she made many three pointers to help win one game at home. Otherwise, her form is very different, and she does not exude the energy to play at the Pac-12 level. A team who needs a three point shooter may want her, since that is her strength. I want Cal to hire an enthusiastic coach, who can recruit and coach high level players.
Lone Star
Ashfield63 said:

Kenzie Forbes wanting to transfer is understandable. Unless she really improves her game, I am not sure
a top notch program would recruit her. She did not seem to be in shape, and played poorly on defense. Granted,
she made many three pointers to help win one game at home. Otherwise, her form is very different, and she does not exude the energy to play at the Pac-12 level. A team who needs a three point shooter may want her, since that is her strength. I want Cal to hire an enthusiastic coach, who can recruit and coach high level players.

This is similar to what I said above. I believe that she has a brother that plays basketball at Harvard. That is why I believe she will end up at an Ivy League school. Other option is to stay at Cal but, I do not see her playing for another PAC-12 school, certainly not a top program.
Ashfield63
To Lone Star, appreciate your reply......will Kenzie stay at CAL now that Charmin Smith is the Head Coach...So pleased for Charmin as she is an excellent choice to coach the Bears. She coached Kristine Anigwe, who absolutely matured into one terrific player and student-athlete her senior year. Welcome back Coach!!!
Lone Star
Ashfield63 said:

To Lone Star, appreciate your reply......will Kenzie stay at CAL now that Charmin Smith is the Head Coach...So pleased for Charmin as she is an excellent choice to coach the Bears. She coached Kristine Anigwe, who absolutely matured into one terrific player and student-athlete her senior year. Welcome back Coach!!!
Well I can't speak for what Forbes will do however, I DO believe that the Charmin Smith hiring was the best one they could have for Cal.

I believe Forbes decision depends on who contacts her in the off season and, how her conversations with the new head coach go.
Hoopstudent95
From what I hear Charmin Smith coming back may have an effect of Forbes' decision, but she will still explore her options. I know from talking to coaches she has been contacted by Harvard, Texas, Notre Dame, Washington, and Duke. To name a few... hopefully we can keep her. We need all the talent we can get, or in this case, keep.
Lone Star
Hoopstudent95 said:

From what I hear Charmin Smith coming back may have an effect of Forbes' decision, but she will still explore her options. I know from talking to coaches she has been contacted by Harvard, Texas, Notre Dame, Washington, and Duke. To name a few... hopefully we can keep her. We need all the talent we can get, or in this case, keep.
I won't doubt "what you hear" but, the exception to that list you have would be Notre Dame. She was never offered a scholarship to them in the first place, why would they contact her now?

The other schools make sense.
SFCALBear72
What about Lauren Fields? Will she change her mind and come to Cal now that Charmin Smith is the HC?
Hoopstudent95
Notre Dame was one of the last schools to offer her and visited her at her school
SFCALBear72
McKenzie Forbes is on an official visit to Gonzaga today. Saw it on Facebook.
Wookids
Assuming Transfer Portal same as Men's / Fox, Cal / Smith can't spend a dime to re-recruit Forbes, while all other schools are free to spend.
Schroeder71
McKenzie Forbes would likely start for Cal at SF to hit the three from the corner. However, if she bails out on the program, it will hurt offensively but help defensively. She improved her effort on defense as the season progressed but was an overall liability due to lack of foot speed.

I hope that Charmin Smith is true to her word and focuses on defense...Force turnovers and create some easy baskets! I don't know that she has the personnel for this effort yet but it is definitely worth pursuing...

GO BEARS!
Ashfield63
Well, McKenzie Forbes could play at St. Mary or Gonzaga. They have excllent players. However, I cannot see her as a starter. Her form is different. She is not in shape and lags behind in running the floor. She helped Cal win one game making three pointers, otherwise, she was not very productive. Charmin wants to improve the defensive play. Granted, she certainly can improve, but I feel Cal could use her scholarship for a stronger player.
wbbilluminati
Per the Duke WBB board: "McKenzie Forbes will be visiting Duke on July 2-3, 2019."
OBear073akaSMFan
Ashfield63 said:

Well, McKenzie Forbes could play at St. Mary or Gonzaga. Charmin wants to improve the defensive play. Granted, she certainly can improve, but I feel Cal could use her scholarship for a stronger player.
Bears never use up their allotments of scholarships. Why can't we have both? We need quality depth on this team.
stu
Ashfield63 said:

Well, McKenzie Forbes could play at St. Mary or Gonzaga. They have excllent players. However, I cannot see her as a starter. Her form is different. She is not in shape and lags behind in running the floor. She helped Cal win one game making three pointers, otherwise, she was not very productive. Charmin wants to improve the defensive play. Granted, she certainly can improve, but I feel Cal could use her scholarship for a stronger player.
The way I see it Kenzie has strong basketball IQ, good size, and a good outside shot. I don't think she was ready for the faster pace of the college game but attention to conditioning could fix that.

Kenzie's size and BBIQ remind me of Gabby Green. Both could play anywhere from PG to PF. Unfortunately Gabby couldn't shoot and AFAIK never fixed that. I think defense and conditioning are easier to improve, so if Kenzie is willing to put in the work I think she could become a complete player.
ClayK
Unfortunately, I don't think Forbes' improvement will take place in Berkeley. My guess is she's gone ...

And giving out scholarships is OK, I guess, but the goal is to get players who can win Pac-12 games. If a player isn't at that level, then why create potential chemistry/playing time problems? The problem right now, of course, is that there aren't really any players out there who can help in 19-20, and even the ones for 20-21 have narrowed their lists.

wifeisafurd
ClayK said:

Unfortunately, I don't think Forbes' improvement will take place in Berkeley. My guess is she's gone ...

And giving out scholarships is OK, I guess, but the goal is to get players who can win Pac-12 games. If a player isn't at that level, then why create potential chemistry/playing time problems? The problem right now, of course, is that there aren't really any players out there who can help in 19-20, and even the ones for 20-21 have narrowed their lists.

You want to give out available schoolies to PWOs just to make your Title 9 compliance officer happy. Just one of those bizarre consequences of government oversight, sorta like the mad rush to spend your budget towards the end of the fiscal year by government entities.

IMO, this is a bit of a reboot rather than a start over. There is a lot the program can tout - for example,, development of bigs like KA, decent role players, etc. academics and an experienced coaching staff. The other question, in looking at the direction of the men's game, is what degree does the staff have international connections. Women's programs from academic schools (e.g., Furd) are starting to look closely at international talent, and I'm not sure how this staff is aligned to take advantage of the "Berkeley brand" overseas. But that certainly seems like it s/b a consideration in recruiting.

New staffs always face the issue of recruiting to address talent gaps, and usually they are taking over after things got so bad the prior coach was fired, ratter then joining the NBA. But this is the challenge any staff takes on (unless the school has huge prestige like taking over Alabama in football), that all coaching staff's must meet to succeed. Cal may have been falling behind, but it is not fallen off the cliff like the men's program. This staff is in a better position that most new coaching staffs, they just have to perform. Smith, Felton and Phillips are known to be good recruiters.
3Cats4CAL
Any news if coach was able to retain Forbes?
SFCALBear72
3Cats4CAL said:

Any news if coach was able to retain Forbes?
No word yet. Forbes just returned from an official visit to Duke. The previous week, she visited Gonzaga.
willtalk
stu said:

Ashfield63 said:

The way I see it Kenzie has strong basketball IQ, good size, and a good outside shot. I don't think she was ready for the faster pace of the college game but attention to conditioning could fix that.

Kenzie's size and BBIQ remind me of Gabby Green. Both could play anywhere from PG to PF. Unfortunately Gabby couldn't shoot and AFAIK never fixed that. I think defense and conditioning are easier to improve, so if Kenzie is willing to put in the work I think she could become a complete player.

That is spot on. The one thing that I noticed about them both is their lack of competitive fire. They just seemed very complacent when the situation required them to turn it up a notch. When Folsom really needed someone to carry the team it seemed it was alway tiny Garcia that answered the call while Forbes disappeared.

In respect to their individual skills- While Forbes is a much better shooter, Green was much more mobile and a better defender. I just don't think that being out of shape is the only problem with respect to Forbes defensive liability. She really isn't that quick period.
wbbilluminati
Gabby Green was puzzling. Hard to fully knock her motor when she absolutely was always dialed in on defense her last year here and very tenacious on that end. I saw her as more psyched out on offense. She was poised handling the ball and could set the table nicely as a playmaker, but just like there are players (e.g. Ashley Walker) who play "bigger" than they are, Gabby played much smaller than she was. I mean, physically she easily could've been a power forward yet would always get her drives swatted and settled mostly for 3-pointers despite clear evidence she innately lacked outside shooting accuracy.

I think Forbes departing is still a loss. She was slow and maybe could've done more to get into shape and maybe even lacked fire, but some of you make it sound like she was one of those players who lackadaisically turned the ball over every time she touched it.

Anyway, NorCalPreps updated their rankings but Abi Muse remains #1 (now listed as 6'3"). Will be interesting to see how big Charmin's inaugural recruiting class is.
stu
wbbilluminati said:

... Gabby played much smaller than she was. I mean, physically she easily could've been a power forward yet would always get her drives swatted and settled mostly for 3-pointers despite clear evidence she innately lacked outside shooting accuracy.
Exactly. I wish Gabby had spent a summer working out with the posts. I think if she had learned how to score inside she could have become an awesome forward.
wbbilluminati
stu said:

wbbilluminati said:

... Gabby played much smaller than she was. I mean, physically she easily could've been a power forward yet would always get her drives swatted and settled mostly for 3-pointers despite clear evidence she innately lacked outside shooting accuracy.
Exactly. I wish Gabby had spent a summer working out with the posts. I think if she had learned how to score inside she could have become an awesome forward.
Yes, she could've been (maybe still can become, she's probably still playing pro overseas) a good point forward.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.