New Coach Announced Today

4,369 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HoopDreams
dbush518
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Cal is expected to announce the new women's basketball coach at noon this afternoon. Watch for Bear Insider story shortly thereafter.
CalWSportsFan
Per Twitter it's Charmin Smith!!!

Here's story: https://calbears.com/news/2019/6/21/charmin-smith-named-womens-basketball-coach.aspx
Ccajon2
Excellent hire! Hopefully Kenzie reconsiders.
bearkat
WayneBear
Wow, given the twists and turns of where our search may have been headed, this is a big relief.

Let the salvage operation begin, starting with Lauren Fields and especially Mackenzie Forbes (who cited Charmin's departure as one of the reasons for leaving). And Charmin can pick up right where she left off with the 2020 recruiting.

There's actually a ray of hope here.
bearkat
awesome news!!!
dbush518
Staff
Cal has confirmed its Smith,,,press conference tuesday
socaliganbear
This is fine.
CalFanatic
Congrats Charmin!! Hoping Forbes returns!
joe amos yaks
Congratulations to Coach Smith.
Go Bears!
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
wifeisafurd
Agree, this works. Charmin has to make some changes to make Cal more competitive and put her stamp on the program. Recruiting bigs is a priority.
CalFanatic
Have to wonder if this changes Fields mind, as well. We will see.
Fyght4Cal
YES!
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
pearbear
Staff
This is the best case scenario, certainly in the immediate future. Smith will stabilize the wobbly ship with much needed continuity. She'll likely keep the current staff, for example.

Perhaps she'll be able to keep going some of the things Lindsay developed--a caring, athlete-centered environment, for example. But there are ways she will necessarily be very different (e.g. use of social media), because her personality is different. And I do hope her short time away also allowed her to bring back a new perspective, because Cal needs some changes in this next chapter (recruiting, on court execution and toughness, etc...).

Welcome back, Charmin!
ClayK
I like Charmin, but she's been on board for the recent decline, and you have to wonder if she's the right person to change the program's direction. Sometimes, of course, the assistant has to just salute and let the head coach do things she wouldn't, but still ... it doesn't seem like there will be a major change in direction.

Hopefully there will, and she will make it happen sooner rather than later.
annarborbear
No problem with giving Charmin a shot under these circumstances. But hope that we have learned our lesson in not giving out large guaranteed contracts without specific performance expectations.
GOLDEN
Sounds good to me
stu
ClayK said:

I like Charmin, but she's been on board for the recent decline, and you have to wonder if she's the right person to change the program's direction.
Charmin was also on board for our success before Lindsay became head coach. She certainly is bright and has paid her dues.

Hope she didn't sell her house, or maybe she'll buy Lindsay's.

Going Home
BearBint
Wowie-zowie, as my dear late mother used to exclaim. (I've just finished shrieking the way I do when a Cal player makes a clutch 3.)

Best news I've had all week.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
Ashfield63
Charmin is a very smart person, and knows basketball. I am hoping the addition of April Phillips will increase Cal ability to recruit great Student-Athletes. Look how Kristine Anigwe improved, and had a stellar senior year taking her to the Conn. Sun of the WNBA. Charmin coached her all four years. Go Charmin and the Bears!!!!!
patsweetpat
Congrats to the Bears, and congrats to Coach Smith! Hope she wins lots and lots of games (just not against my Bruins, if possible, please?).

Best of luck to CalWBB in the Coach Charmin Smith era.
going4roses
willtalk
An in house hire seemed to be the most logical choice. I just hope they did not sign her to a multiyear contract at this point in time. Doing a simi interm type hire would be the most optimum short term solution. As some have stated the best choice would have been to hire someone not associated with the program, but the timing sort of put the Kabush on that rail. What worries me is that Charmin left a WNBA job to return to coaching. I wonder what they had to concede to her in respect to security. I mean would she leave her new job for simply a one year commitment? I also suspect that this just did not play itself out in the last few days, but was in the works much longer. There was a very unusual offer made to a recruit just recently which would not make sense coming from a coach or leaderless team. I doubt they even considered any other options other than the one they made.
HoopDreams

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.