Charmin & Staff #SayLess .. We got work to do . #RideWithUs #2020Vision

4,448 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by puget sound cal fan
Intuit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Harborview
CalWSportsFan
Great promo:
Ccajon2
I honest to gosh think we win 20 games in CSs first crack out of the box. Call me crazy, that's the way I feel. Furds seem to think this was a great hire, but they did say she joined in when cracks were made against Cal back in the day. Not that that means much now.
Lone Star
Ccajon2 said:

I honest to gosh think we win 20 games in CSs first crack out of the box. Call me crazy, that's the way I feel. Furds seem to think this was a great hire, but they did say she joined in when cracks were made against Cal back in the day. Not that that means much now.
You're crazy.
GATC
Lone Star said:

Ccajon2 said:

You're crazy.

We won 20 games last year, 21 the year before and 20 with a 6-12 conference record the year before that. Four years ago we were 15-17 with a 4-14 conference record with a team with Anigwe, Thomas, Range, Cowling, Davidson and Green. 18 games next year will be a great accomplishment.
Ashfield63
Charmin is a coach not a miracle worker......CAL always has a winning pre-season record....they can be ranked nationally in the pre-season only to drop off when he Pac-12 games begin....the starting team was very good last season, but just could not win consistently. The highlights of the season were the home wins against Stanford and Arizona State. I am hopeful that Charmin and April will create a vibrant environment, which will appeal to new recruits. I wish the current players a new start with Charmin as Head Coach. GO BEARS!!

Schroeder71
Cal defeated OOC teams in close games with Anigwe. Last season, for example, Cal triumphed @BYU, @St Marys, @Penn State, etc. How many games on last year's schedule would they win with the 2019-20 talent?
https://calbears.com/schedule.aspx?path=wbball

When does the 2019-20 schedule come out? The men's schedule came out 7-10 days ago. GO BEARS!
annarborbear
With no staff changes, it appears that this was a hire without any particular expectations. It may or may not work out. But for the next several years, Knowlton can go back to focussing on the football program.
Lone Star
GATC said:

Lone Star said:

Ccajon2 said:

You're crazy.

We won 20 games last year, 21 the year before and 20 with a 6-12 conference record the year before that. Four years ago we were 15-17 with a 4-14 conference record with a team with Anigwe, Thomas, Range, Cowling, Davidson and Green. 18 games next year will be a great accomplishment.
Agreed. Cal won 20 games with arguably one of the best players (Anigwe) to put on a Cal uniform. Now she is gone, there is a huge void to fill. Also throw in your second best player (Smith) transferring to Louisville and I just don't see Cal winning more then 15 games this year. Most of those will be non-conference games.
SFCALBear72
annarborbear said:

With no staff changes, it appears that this was a hire without any particular expectations. It may or may not work out. But for the next several years, Knowlton can go back to focussing on the football program.
No staff changes? You don't see a new face in that pic? Of course not. You'd rather complain.You must be a lot of fun at parties. Lol
BearBint
April Phillips's hire was announced two months ago:

https://calbears.com/news/2019/4/18/april-phillips-added-to-womens-basketball-staff.aspx

A carefully orchestrated reorganization? I assume so.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
annarborbear
SFCALBear72 said:

annarborbear said:

No staff changes? You don't see a new face in that pic? Of course not. You'd rather complain.You must be a lot of fun at parties. Lol
When you hire a #2 who has been in an organization for twelve years, and they don't bring in new people of their own to implement a new vision, you are signaling that more of the same is going to occur. Maybe there will be an effect on recruiting by having a different personality at the top and a different recruiting coordinator. But there is nothing yet to indicate that we will see a different product on the floor.

I think you also have to look at coaching trees in considering what someone is going to bring to the table. Phillips is off of the coaching tree of Charity Elliot at Loyola Marymount. Elliot's total record at LMU is 91-125, with one first round WNIT appearance. That doesn't mean that she can't make a valuable contribution. But it is not the same as hiring a new lead associate from some very successful program to help shake things up.
CalWSportsFan
Regarding Phillips, perhaps more worthwhile to examine Arizona's most recent recruiting class as she was the "recruiting coordinator" for the Wildcats. Heavy international focus which could be fertile ground for Cal: https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball/2019/4/30/18524705/helena-pueyo-arizona-womens-basketball-recruiting-2019-class-rankings
GATC
annarborbear said:

SFCALBear72 said:

annarborbear said:

When you hire a #2 who has been in an organization for twelve years, and they don't bring in new people of their own to implement a new vision, you are signaling that more of the same is going to occur. Maybe there will be an effect on recruiting by having a different personality at the top and a different recruiting coordinator. But there is nothing yet to indicate that we will see a different product on the floor.

I think you also have to look at coaching trees in considering what someone is going to bring to the table. Phillips is off of the coaching tree of Charity Elliot at Loyola Marymount. Elliot's total record at LMU is 91-125, with one first round WNIT appearance. That doesn't mean that she can't make a valuable contribution. But it is not the same as hiring a new lead associate from some very successful program to help shake things up.
The good thing is that she played for Tara and coached under Tara. That's a good start and I suspect that she can put what she saw under JB and LG in perspective. I also like that she was a good player and knows what is good basketball. In the piece about Ashley Walker the take away for me was that she loved having LG as her position (post) coach and cried when she left for SB, but she really learned from Jennifer Hoover (who replaced LG) who played post.

A winning record will take time but I am looking forward to the coming season.
joe amos yaks
Will Coach Smith make additions to her staff . . .coaches, trainers, etc?
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
wifeisafurd
Certainly the most nerdy coaching staff with Charmin's double E, and the assistants being biology, management systems and management majors. There is a lot of resume experience in recruiting, especially west coast recruiting, so I'm hoping there are some nerdy bigs they can recruit. Also with Fox's success recruiting overseas, maybe the women can follow. It seemed like Gottlieb's recruiting success had been trailing off, so maybe Smith being in charge and a new assistant can provide new momentum, because next year's team looks to have a talent gap relative to the ever improving conference.

As for the snide remark about focusing on football, success with that program helps all other programs financially and emotionally. Football drives the bus. Get over it.
annarborbear
wifeisafurd said:

Certainly the most nerdy coaching staff with Charmin's double E, and the assistants being biology, management systems and management majors. There is a lot of resume experience in recruiting, especially west coast recruiting, so I'm hoping there are some nerdy bigs they can recruit. Also with Fox's success recruiting overseas, maybe the women can follow. It seemed like Gottlieb's recruiting success had been trailing off, so maybe Smith being in charge and a new assistant can provide new momentum, because next year's team looks to have a talent gap relative to the ever improving conference.

As for the snide remark about focusing on football, success with that program helps all other programs financially and emotionally. Football drives the bus. Get over it.

I actually meant that as a positive. By going with a "stability strategy" in women's basketball, whether or not the results are great, Knowlton does not need to spend time orienting and supporting a new women's coach. For the next couple of years, he can instead focus on the areas of the Athletic Department that generate positive revenue. And at a later date, he can re-evaluate whether the stability strategy is working. In that sense, I think that this was actually a wise and rational course. But it may not generate much change in women's basketball, especially if there are no other new assistants appointed.
CalWSportsFan
I'd suggest listening to her press conference in its entirety if you haven't already.
wifeisafurd
annarborbear said:

wifeisafurd said:

I actually meant that as a positive. By going with a "stability strategy" in women's basketball, whether or not the results are great, Knowlton does not need to spend time orienting and supporting a new women's coach. For the next couple of years, he can instead focus on the areas of the Athletic Department that generate positive revenue. And at a later date, he can re-evaluate whether the stability strategy is working. In that sense, I think that this was actually a wise and rational course. But it may not generate much change in women's basketball, especially if there are no other new assistants appointed.
I misinterpreted your intent. My apologies.

The thing to note is bedsides a new head coach, there also is a change in the assistant that is the head recruiter. I'm hoping this means more than stability as recruiting was going the wrong direction at the end of the Gottlieb era. I view the change as somewhat more promising than the status of quo under Gottlieb.
puget sound cal fan
As for recruiting, I'm hoping this staff can land a couple of bigs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.