In praise of Brittany Boyd

2,363 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ashfield63
ClayK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have been guilty of criticizing Brittany Boyd too much over the years, and for whatever it's worth (not much, really), here's an apologia.

Since I first saw her play as a freshman at Hercules, through her time at Berkeley High, in her career at Cal, and her WNBA run with the Liberty, she has always been the ultimate competitor. She plays hard, she battles, and she never backs down.

There are flaws in her game, of course, as there are in every player's game, and at 26, it doesn't seem likely she's going to make a huge leap forward, so she is who she is, pretty much -- and her record of achievement is impressive.

Boyd was an elite high school player on a powerhouse Berkeley team, and her fire and energy were crucial to that 77-12 three-year run that culminated a state championship game loss. She averaged double figures every year at Cal for a team that went 103-34.

Her WNBA time has been less successful, but it's important to remember just how challenging and difficult that league is. Katie Lou Samuelson, to name just one example, went from elite to unknown as soon as she arrived. Boyd's abilities have kept her in the league, despite injuries, and though, again, the flaws in her game are present, she's playing in the WNBA -- and that's a major achievement right there.

It's way too easy to forget how great certain players are when they move on, and especially if they can't duplicate their prep and college success at the pro level. But that doesn't detract from their achievements, and Brittany Boyd has a career's worth to be proud of.

wbbilluminati
Sweet post!
calbear80
I always loved watching Brittany Boyd in Cal uniform. She was awesome.

Go Brittinay!

wifeisafurd
She was amazingly exciting to watch, and I enjoyed her blazing speed. If her game was more complete, she has the talent to start.
BearBint
wifeisafurd said:

She was amazingly exciting to watch, and I enjoyed her blazing speed. If her game was more complete, she has the talent to start.
I, too, love watching Boyd; even as a Cal rookie she had the sort of energy and invention that made national color commentators single her out. Anyone remember her running so fast to keep a ball in play that she went straight out into the hallway at Haas? (Fortunately, the doors were open.) On her way back, she spotted the seam in the opposition, called for the ball, and stuck it in. All this took about 20 seconds. I'm not sure you can teach that kind of fire.

A while back, Bill Laimbeer told B.B. that with two years' work, he could change her shot for the better, by which I assume he meant it would be both accurate and consistent. I wonder what happened with that? Right now, her real problem seems to be turnovers.
calbear80
If I am in a battle, I'd want BB on my side. She has a unique fire and energy.

With a personality like that, my guess is that she will benefit from mentorship to direct that fire and energy to successful work environment results.I hope, when her playing days are over, some alum will take her under his/her wings and guide her to a successful professional work career.

Go Bears!
wvitbear
Brittany played well last year. Her shot was improving. Then the injury came. She seems to not be the same after the injury.
GATC
calbear80 said:

You and Bearbint pointed out what makes her special.

I can feel the team's energy and the will to win drop once she graduated. If you look at LG's 8 years, she was 56-16 in conference with Boyd and 30-42 without Boyd. I know the league has gotten much tougher and the supporting players the first 2 years was really strong but Boyd was a major factor IMO.

HoopDreams
The fact that she is undersized and has flaws in her game, but has sticked on a WNBA team, despite injuries, says everything you need to know
Ashfield63
Watched Brittany play tonight vs Conn. Sun....she did make a basket from long range.......good to see Reshanda Gray as her team mate, and Layshia Clarendon back with the Suns after an injury, needed surgery. I give our Bears all the credit in the world for being in the WNBA. It takes so much courage to keep finding their way back on a Team Roster in consecutive years....

Layshia Clarendon made the USA Women Team, and wonder if she can go back after an injury.
Go Bears!!!!
stu
calbear80 said:

IMHO that fire is a crucial aspect of a winner, and some of our recent players have not displayed much of it. I'm hoping Mi'Cole returns in good health because she has it.
HoopDreams
stu said:

calbear80 said:

IMHO that fire is a crucial aspect of a winner, and some of our recent players have not displayed much of it. I'm hoping Mi'Cole returns in good health because she has it.

I might be mi'cole's biggest fan. Love her game on both sides of the court
Ashfield63
I spoke to Micole at the banquet last April....I expressed my compassion for her injuries. She had a big smile and said, I will be playing, very enthusiasticly. I can still she her grimicing on the floor when she tore her ACL. So, does this mean she still has 4 years of eligibilty since the injuries were so early in the season.... She will give it her all!!!! With the focus not being on Kristine Anigwe this season, I expect a total team effort every game. C.J. and Jaelyn can score, This will be a difficult season as far as wins in the PAC-12, but, Charmin is not going to back down......GO BEARS!!!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.