Jackie Mac piece on Lindsay Gottlieb

1,895 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by willtalk
BearForce1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28008930/how-cleveland-cavaliers-lindsay-gottlieb-made-nba
ncbears
Nice article - but the reference that two years ago, LG sat down with the NBA commissioner suggests LG was already planning on leaving Cal. I'm not saying she "checked out" her last two years - at least, not consciously -
annarborbear
It was a strange saga. From this article, one would think that LG should have been able to produce the best-coached, best-prepared, most innovative teams in college women's basketball. And yet it didn't happen.

Maybe the roles should have been reversed - Charmin as head coach and LG as her analytical assistant.
Bear8995
I have never spoken to Lindsay but I did catch glimpses of her halftime talks several times on TV. Very analytical. Billiant even. But I also felt it was too complicated and complex for college. I think her intelligence is likely better suited for the pros as the minutae means more at that level. I always got the sense that our players were thinking too much, which slowed things up for us. With the athletes she recruited, she could have just run more flexible sets and quick hitters and relied on our athleticism to win. Our offense always seemed so mechanical.

puget sound cal fan
I'm not sure NBA men will absorb or respond better to Lindsay's analysis and strategies than D-1 women hoopsters.
Ashfield63
I agree....too many plays which the players could not execute. As a coach you need to have some faith in your players. I think this team is eager. They might win more games then expected.
willtalk
I found it encouraging that Charmin played Chen more in one game than she had almost ever played in her entire career. She could not have gotten that much better in just one year so I makes you wonder why she wasn't getting more time. She looked better than West in this last game. Probably because she got more time and began to play with more confidence. She will certainly contribute this season.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.