Harvard Game

4,075 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CalWSportsFan
annarborbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Always have to watch UConn when the opportunity arises. In last year's game, it was amazing to realize that every position on their team had a player who could shoot. We are pretty much the opposite at this point.
ClayK
From the box, an even game ... Harvard was 17-13 last year, 7-7 in the Ivy, which is generally considered to be at the level of a strong D2 league.

Neither team could make free throws or threes, and each turned the ball over 19 times.

Glass half-full: Game could have gone either way ...

Glass half-empty: A strong D2 team looked to be just as good as a Pac-12 team.
CalFanatic
Important for everyone to remember this is a rebuilding year. All about setting up the future for our (likely)top ten class next year.

I'm not expecting any more than 10 wins.
blungld
CalFanatic said:

Important for everyone to remember this is a rebuilding year. All about setting up the future for our (likely)top ten class next year.

I'm not expecting any more than 10 wins.

This is true, but sure would be nice to win the few games we should win. And especially not lose because your seniors miss layups and free throws and show very little leadership or poise. There has been so little development by the upperclassmen and this is a big reason we are where we are.
stu
I think another factor is guard play. Before the Harvard game only one of our guards had ever played in a (non-exhibition) college game and that one last played three years ago. IMHO guard play makes everything else happen and I'll understand if it takes a while for our guards to get it together.
pearbear
Staff
Every player on this year's team is untested--either because they are new to college basketball, or because they haven't played much, or because they have no experience in the role they are now expected to take on.

Whether they are able to improve and grow into their new role will determine the fate of this season--not so much wins and losses, even, but really whether they stick together and then build trust and leadership.

I don't see many wins this season, especially in conference play. But I would like to see competitiveness and playing up to your ability--think Oregon State a few years back, or Arizona more recently.
CalWSportsFan
I agree. I want to see improvement as a team. It will require time and patience. Success will not be measured in W-L.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.