OT-local recruit performing well for UCSB

3,293 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Schroeder71
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.ucsbgauchos.com/sports/w-baskbl/2019-20/bios/lane_ila_7agl

Ila Lane is a 6-4 post from Woodside Priory (CCS). She has played is three games for UCSB and she has averaged 11 points and 11 rebounds per game.

I believe that Cal did not offer her, correct?
wbbilluminati
I actually don't know if any Pac-12's offered, not just Cal, but that's a nice start for her!
ClayK
Ila Lane was a good high school player (we played against her and she had a pretty good game) but the general consensus was she wasn't a difference maker at the Pac-12 level, or even a first-division starter.

And my Gauchos are bad again this year, so her stats must be taken with a grain of salt. Somebody has to score, after all ...
pearbear
Well, Lane just had 21 and 12 to help UCSB beat USC.
annarborbear
pearbear said:

Same game in which Angel Jackson scored one point.
wbbilluminati
pearbear said:

wow good for her. I randomly remember Clemson was her only or one of her only P5 offers.

USC played without UNC transfer Stephanie Watts but still a big win for UCSB.

Lane was ranked top 20 nationally as a freshman, then really fell off the radar and may have barely been ranked top 20 in NorCal at one point late in HS.

She has the genes (NBA father).
Baygbear
I watched some of the game online but had to turn it off because U$C was just horrendous. Their players were all over the place and no one could run a play. It was a bunch of ISO from the guards. The one thing I did notice was Jackson played really good defense on Lane and had a couple blocks on her. Lane was really slow which allowed Jackson to stand straight up and get the stuff block straight down.
annarborbear
kjimenez707 said:

I watched some of the game online but had to turn it off because U$C was just horrendous. Their players were all over the place and no one could run a play. It was a bunch of ISO from the guards. The one thing I did notice was Jackson played really good defense on Lane and had a couple blocks on her. Lane was really slow which allowed Jackson to stand straight up and get the stuff block straight down.
I didn't see the game, just looked at the stats. Who was guarding Lane when she went for 21 and 12?
Schroeder71
My alma-mater is also UCSB! The Gauchos are also tough to beat in their home gym. USC just got taught that lesson and Angel Jackson got completely shutdown for the 1st time this season. Ila Lane was the dominant player in the game last night-are you certain that she is not good enough for the Pac 12, Clay Kallum?
https://usctrojans.com/boxscore.aspx?id=22900&path=wbball
ClayK
First, go Gauchos ...

As for Lane, you never know. But what we saw in her senior year was a player who looked too slow and not athletic enough to thrive at the Power 5 level. Maybe that's changed, as sometimes college conditioning makes a difference.

wbbilluminati
ClayK said:

First, go Gauchos ...

As for Lane, you never know. But what we saw in her senior year was a player who looked too slow and not athletic enough to thrive at the Power 5 level. Maybe that's changed, as sometimes college conditioning makes a difference.

I was going to say, it could have been a big-time commitment to conditioning before this season that has made the difference for Lane. I recall HS video where her conditioning stood out as needing improvement, not only struggling up and down the floor but even appearing too tired at times to muscle up/finish close layups over smaller opponents.

It's not unheard of...Channon Fluker was another CA post who would've gotten plenty of looks in HS based on genes/name (cousin Tyesha Fluker was ranked #2 nationally while in HS in Pasadena and played for Pat Summit at Tennessee) but had a modest HS career performance thus was not heavily recruited. But ended up being a pretty dominant post for Cal State Northridge from day 1 as a frosh, and likely would have done some damage at Pac-12 (though I think struggled against Cal's Anigwe in matchups)..
Schroeder71
,https://goaztecs.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2019-20/uc-santa-barbara/boxscore/12628

Last night, UCSB handled San Diego State in Santa Barbara by 12 points. Once again. Ila Lane (6-4) was dominant with 17 points and 12 rebounds. The Gauchos are now 3-3. After six games, Lane is averaging 15.8 ppg and 12.8 rpg. It appears my alma-mater got a steal from Woodside Priory (CCS). GO BEARS! Go Gauchos!

wbbilluminati
Ilmar'i Thomas formerly of Sacred Heart Cathedral has been getting it done so far for Cincinnati. 7 games into her junior season she's averaging 18.6 ppg 9.7 rpg shooting 55% against a decent schedule including Utah, Ohio State, and Iowa.
Baygbear
Espnw has Ila Lane as the runner up for Big West Conference player of the year behind Cal State Fullerton's Raina Perez. Very impressive for a freshman.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28780568/top-women-player-year-candidate-every-conference
wvitbear
U C Santa Barbara has a very good guard going there next year. Aniya Choice of Santa Rosa. I really like her last year but she didn't go to the Pac 12. Her team is playing in the open finals in the North Coast. She scored 43 points the last game against q very tough team. She dominated Pinewood last year but Scroeder never mentioned her. I think he will be pleased.
Schroeder71
My name is Schroeder and I am happy that Anya Choice is headed to UCSB. To be honest, I have yet to see her play but have read positive things about her. go gauchos! GO BEARS!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.