vs Kentucky

2,543 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by UrsineMaximus
pearbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kentucky is as advertised, with very disruptive defense.

But Cal is staying with it mentally, and playing good defense of their own. It's super fun to watch McIntosh take on the challenge; you can almost see her screaming (internally) "BRING IT!"

pearbear
Game tied at 22 at the half.
pearbear
Kentucky's Howard, who had been struggling from the field, just hit a three.

Worse, Cal's McIntosh just picked up her fourth foul.

Halfway through the third, Cal down 32-26.
OBear073akaSMFan
Could lead by 10 if they could hit the outside shot. Most were uncontested too.
OBear073akaSMFan
...and bunnies! Birdy missed at least 3!
pearbear
OBear073akaSMFan said:

...and bunnies! Birdy missed at least 3!

Yep, this is the first game where that has been an issue all game long. Usually they shake it off by the second quarter.
pearbear
Cal cut Kentucky's lead to 42-37 after three.
annarborbear
19 TO's thus far. Tough team to play against. Hopefully, it is a good learning experience on that.
annarborbear
Freshmen playing like vets against the #14 team in the country.
ncbears
Why oh why did the refs swallow their whistle on the last Cal shot?
ncbears
also Howard is a pretty good player for Kentucky (yeah, that's an understatement)
WhatABonanza
That really was a horrendous no call at the end.
They nearly always do it - swallow the whistle - but a foul is a foul. She should be able to get off a clean shot from that distance. They took the last shot a bit too early, which left enough for Cal to get a good shot.
Finnish Oski
When Kentucky went up eight with under three minutes to go I thought that we'd made a game effort but that it was all over. I'll never doubt a Charmin Smith-coached team again. Her Bears do not quit and will not die. Cal proved today they can play with anyone. I think other than the Oregon schools and the Furd we can beat anybody and I wouldn't be shocked if we upset one of them. I love this team, they have heart and desire, imagine what it'll be like in two years when this year's freshman have two years under their belts and two recruiting classes have come in. What a future.
"I'm just here so I won't get fined."
UrsineMaximus
stu
PearBear, you're right - I thought the difference tonight was Kentucky's defense and Rhyne Howard.

Tough to lose but we were in it till the end and likely learned some good lessons.
pearbear
I agree with Charmin about this being a smart team. I've been thinking of other words--composed, mentally tough... And perhaps those also apply. But this team has shown me that they are smart and they trust in their team play.

I will be honest, it's been a change to have faith that Cal will be the team that executes down the stretch.

GO BEARS!
Ashfield63
Thank you for posting the press conference.....Kentucky's defense was incredible...they caused so many turnovers....our players are quick and very focused, but were overwhelmed at times. If we had gotten the rebound after C.J. missed her foul shot, could have been a win. When the defense just never lets up the pressure with every posession, it is difficult to execute the offense. Bird was hanging her head on the way out of the gym, and one of her teammates was there for her. I am amazed with the tenacity and grit this team shows. I had lost hope for the women's program after last season. It has been hard for me to watch our teams get crushed at times by the top teams in the Pac-12. I feel badly for the players. Wow, what a turn around! These players have responded to Charmin's coaching magnificently, and support one another. I had faith in Charmin from the minute I watched the press conference when she was introduced as the Head Coach. GO BEARS!!
GGV
annarborbear
Even the rhythm of Charmin's timeouts seems on target. She seem to have no question about when she needs to talk to her players and regroup a bit.
GATC
pearbear said:

I agree with Charmin about this being a smart team. I've been thinking of other words--composed, mentally tough... And perhaps those also apply. But this team has shown me that they are smart and they trust in their team play.

I will be honest, it's been a change to have faith that Cal will be the team that executes down the stretch.

GO BEARS!
To be composed and mentally tough you have to have confidence and that comes from the support and encouragement from the coaches and teammates.

It also helps to be prepared. I love how Charmin has the team practice in various game situations so the players know what to expect and what to do.

HoopDreams
I'm cautiously optimistic for this year's team

I think they have done well in the preseason, but we have one of the toughest pac 12s I've remembered

I'm sure there will be games where it will get out of hand, and others where we might stumble and lose a winnable game

That's what young teams are ... inconsistent

But this team is an easy one to root for. Love the players and Charmin is a definitely a keeper regardless of how the season plays out

UrsineMaximus
GATC said:

pearbear said:

GO BEARS!
To be composed and mentally tough you have to have confidence and that comes from the support and encouragement from the coaches and teammates.

It also helps to be prepared. I love how Charmin has the team practice in various game situations so the players know what to expect and what to do.

Not germane to Cal, all teams do this. To believe this is an edge for Cal is not pragmatic nor a reality. All coaches/teams do this.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.