West Coast Jamboree comments...

4,163 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by wbbilluminati
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Archbishop Mitty (6-2) faces a formidable Clovis North (11-2) team tomorrow in the Platinum Division. Clovis North has losses to Harvard-Westlake & Windward and a victory over St Marys-Stockton. If the Monarchs prevail in the opener-they will face the winner of Mater Dei-Santa Ana or BOD. It's not far-fetched that Mitty could start out the season 6-4.

https://www.maxpreps.com/tournament/list/FjUrQxCREeqAzqREozo6lw/girls-basketball-winter-19-20/west-coast-jamboree.htm

AM just posted their season stats for the first time today:
https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/archbishop-mitty-monarchs-(san-jose,ca)/girls-basketball/stats.htm

Marley Langi (JR) is only playing 14.6 mpg. Hunter Hernandez (JR) is out indefinitely. Four other juniors and a senior make up the starting lineup and play over 20 mpg. The Mitty program is deep, however, with undefeated JV and freshmen teams.
Schroeder71
https://www.maxpreps.com/games/12-27-2019/girls-basketball-winter-19-20/archbishop-mitty-vs-clovis-north.htm?c=9jrGrLhok0aa8U5c4IfyEA#tab=scoretrkr&schoolid=

Archbishop Mitty ran away from Clovis North by 45 points to open the West Coast Jamboree platinum division.
Olivia Williams hit seven treys and finished with 23 points. Sydney Bourland registered 20. Katie Springs tallied 9, Noemie Bariteau ended up w/ 8 and Anika Chinthakunta had 6 points. I don't know if Marley Langi played but she failed to score. The Monarchs will face Mater Dei-Santa Ana on Saturday. MD dominated BOD, 69-30. It will be the battle of the Monarchs, I believe.

GO BEARS!
wvitbear
I'm glad I didn't go. My son is in from Chicago so i begged out.

Normally the Platinum is the strongest division. But not all the best teams this year were in that bracket. Namely Antelope and Miramonte.

O'Dowd always has talent but they don't always play to their talent.

Was also interested in seeing in seeing Lowell from
San Francisco. Not in a strong division. But wanted to see a particular player play. Elle Ladine.

But alas I didn't make it this year.
Schroeder71
https://www.maxpreps.com/games/12-28-2019/girls-basketball-winter-19-20/archbishop-mitty-vs-mater-dei.htm?c=jUCjgyCA_E-aiGr4revGmw#tab=scoretrkr&schoolid=

Mitty hit six threes in the first half to jump out to a 30-17 lead over #2 ranked Mater Dei. MD took AM's three point shot away in the 2nd half and outscored the San Jose team, 30-11.
Final: Mater Dei (12-1) 46, Archbishop Mitty (7-3) 41.

Mitty also led #1 ranked La Jolla Country Day after three quarters but lost the fourth quarter.
wvitbear
Mitty was outscored 30 to 11 the second half. Couldn't solve the 2-2-1 trap.

Why no comment about the sierra Canyon St Joe game? It is nice to watch a team that has not been a power house over the years rise to the top. And that is St. Joes.
kc1121
wvitbear said:

Mitty was outscored 30 to 11 the second half. Couldn't solve the 2-2-1 trap.

Why no comment about the sierra Canyon St Joe game? It is nice to watch a team that has not been a power house over the years rise to the top. And that is St. Joes.
Cause it's the AM thread
wvitbear
Was referring to personal coments.
wvitbear
St Jow has a very good sophomore point guard named Talana Lepolo. Has anyone ever seen her play?
Schroeder71
St Josephs of Alameda, Jason Kidd's alma-mater, is loaded this season. Archbishop Mitty & St Josephs play back-to-back games coming up. The Monarchs have played the majority of the top Bay Area teams on the road during Haley Jones's four years. This year St Josephs (1/4), BOD (1/8) & Carondolet (1/20) visit Mitty in San Jose. I'll see if can attend some of those games. Presentation(10-0)-San Jose appears to be formidable this season.The Panthers defeated Montgomery HS(9-3)-Santa Rosa for the Emerald Division championship, 41-37. Presentation defeated Dublin & James Logan earlier...

GO BEARS!
Ashfield63
St. Joseph's girl's basketball team sat in my area on the bleachers. The man sitting beside me said they were playing Mitty today at College Park Highschool in Pleasant Hill. He added that CAL had invited all of the teams participating in the Jamboree to last night's game. There were many teams attending, and they also went to the Club Room for the autograph session. The Strawhat Band and Cheerleaders added to the energy in Haas.

GGV
OBear073akaSMFan
Wow. Thanks for sharing this information!
GATC
Ashfield63 said:

St. Joseph's girl's basketball team sat in my area on the bleachers. The man sitting beside me said they were playing Mitty today at College Park Highschool in Pleasant Hill. He added that CAL had invited all of the teams participating in the Jamboree to last night's game. There were many teams attending, and they also went to the Club Room for the autograph session. The Strawhat Band and Cheerleaders added to the energy in Haas.

Wow, that is great.

I have to second that the Straw Hat band and the cheerleaders to add a lot of energy and spirit.
stu
GATC said:

Ashfield63 said:

Wow, that is great.

I have to second that the Straw Hat band and the cheerleaders to add a lot of energy and spirit.
I agree about the Straw Hat Band and other spirit groups. However I think the amplified irrelevant noise sucks a lot of that energy out. Nobody I talk to at the games (when conversation is possible) likes the amplified irrelevant noise. If anyone in the Athletic Department thinks it brings in new fans they should look at the attendance numbers.
wvitbear
There were a lot of teens there last night. Way more than normal. Good idea.
annarborbear
I am thinking about making an extra donation to the Athletic Department this year for earplugs to hand out to fans for use during their excess noise production. If it is a popular item, maybe they will finally get the message.
GATC
annarborbear said:

I am thinking about making an extra donation to the Athletic Department this year for earplugs to hand out to fans for use during their excess noise production. If it is a popular item, maybe they will finally get the message.
I agree - way too loud and annoying as well. Not quite as bad as the football games but still pretty bad.
Ashfield63
I agree about the noise and its loudness. While the teams are doing pre-game warm ups, the Rap music is annoying. Also, during time-outs music is played. The Strawhat band has to limit its playing time. Who can I e-mail about this. The loud music deters from the fun environment at Haas.
GGV
BearBint
Josh Hummel (johummel@berkeley.edu) is Senior Associate Athletics Director, Facilities, Events & Capital Projects, for what that's worth. I'm e-mailing him next week.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
stu
BearBint said:

Josh Hummel (johummel@berkeley.edu) is Senior Associate Athletics Director, Facilities, Events & Capital Projects, for that's worth. I'm e-mailing him next week.
Two weeks ago I emailed the following to Gordon Bayne (Associate Athletics Director, Events Management):

I attend most women's games and some men's games at Haas. I find the amplified sound levels to run from loud but tolerable at some games to downright painful at other games. I'm not complaining about the content, even though I don't think all of that is relevant to basketball. I'm also not complaining about the band or the crowd. But to me whatever comes through the sound system (recorded music, game announcers, spirit groups, ads, whatever) is often so loud I've had to bring earmuffs to the games. It's gotten so bad I may not renew my tickets next season.

Because of the variation from game to game I'm not sure if the people who manage the sound system at game time are capable of correcting the problem. I'd like to see some kind of automatic gain control applied so every input source at every game could not exceed a comfortable output level.

Thanks for listening,

No response. I recommend going higher, to Jim Knowlton or Carol Christ.
Schroeder71
https://www.maxpreps.com/games/12-30-2019/girls-basketball-winter-19-20/archbishop-mitty-vs-st-joseph-notre-dame.htm?c=zKpR05b0wkyrbZ57S30GRg#tab=scoretrkr&schoolid=

Third place Platinum Division result: Archbishop Mitty 75, St Joseph 39.
HoopDreams
I didn't know about the post game autograph signings

how was this promoted either before or during the game?
Ashfield63
There were handouts with the schedule and player pictures near the front entrance. The autograph signing in the Club Room immediately following the game was announced I think before the start of the game....I went to the one after the Arkansas game and spoke to the four freshman who were sitting together at the table. They were fun! There were very few people there unlike last night with the many girl's teams from the Jamboree.
GGV
HoopDreams
Ashfield63 said:

There were handouts with the schedule and player pictures near the front entrance. The autograph signing in the Club Room immediately following the game was announced I think before the start of the game....I went to the one after the Arkansas game and spoke to the four freshman who were sitting together at the table. They were fun! There were very few people there unlike last night with the many girl's teams from the Jamboree.
Thanks. I came early and went to the merchandise area at halftime for a short while. Ironically I bought a small cal basketball for autographing, but I didn't hear any announcements

I didn't go by the table because I already had a schedule (love the magnet schedules which I collect)

Just seems like they could promote in an email, on the cal site, and during the game. That is easy and doesn't cost money

I'm glad it was well attended
wvitbear
Meanwhile, Jzaniya Harrell of Antelope scored 37 points, 12 rebounds and 4 assists against a good Oakland Tech team. She is the top rated layer in the Northern Ca class for 2021.
CalFanatic
Have to assume Harrell and the Cal Sparks post are two top targets for Cal in 2021. Imagine landing both after this phenomenal class.

We'd be playing for a Pac-12 title within 2 years.
wvitbear
Who is the Cal Saparks post?
wbbilluminati
wvitbear said:

Who is the Cal Saparks post?
Clarice Akunwafo

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.