vs Grand Canyon

1,699 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by wvitbear
pearbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Final nonconference game of the season...
HoopDreams
Game started with an administrative tech on GC so two FTs

Not sure I've seen that before
HoopDreams
No fouls in game at middle of q2?
ncbears
From the field, Cal leads 25-24. But, Cal is 11-11 from the free throw line for the 36-24 lead!

also, GCU has turned the ball over 12 times for 13 Cal points, Cal has turned the ball over only 4 times for 2 GCU points.

Negative stat: Cal is 1-10 on three point shots.
pearbear
Alaysia Styles with 11 points at the half, looking decisive and confident. Maybe it's the new blond 'do?
HoopDreams
I'm really going miss CJ
ncbears
Bears push the lead to 53-34 with some nice defense and running the floor and Jazmin Green! and following shots and doing all the little things right - so far. Two minutes to go in the third
ncbears
58-38 at the end of three.
ncbears
So, there seems to be a set play of a lob to Chen near the basket who then immediately dumps it off to ELS. It doesn't always work, however,
HoopDreams
Sara has made 4-5 bad passes
HoopDreams
Top 7 players played great today (except Sara who never found a rhythm)

Offense gets open shots
ncbears
Olsen in at 1:15 to go
ncbears
and Richey in with 40 seconds to go
ncbears
Methinks Coach Smith may have some words with Ms. Crocker on that steal in the final seconds, rush and offensive foul instead of just dribbling out the clock.
ncbears
Final Palms of Victory 72--53 (Cal was outscored in the 4th 15-14 which doesn't mean anything).
Cal shoots 41% - 64.3% in second half.
22 of 26 from the line - GCU was 10-13, so the discrepancy did narrow a bit?
Bears did end up with 13 turnovers - after having only 4 at the half.
Your point leaders: Styles 18, Brown-16 Green- 15 and West 12
McIntosh - 5 assists, no turnovers. SA with 4 turnovers - ouch.

stu
Every time I see Jazlen play I like her more. Tonight she had 15 points, 4 steals, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, and 2 blocks. She even played some point near the end.

Our 3-point shooting was off and we had more trouble around the basket than I would have expected but our midrange jumpers were going in.

We played another stretch with all 4 freshies on the floor, this time with Chen.

GCU had 2 players who looked good to me, Holland and Daniel. If nothing else the rest were rough. I was afraid the refs might lose control of the game. Fortunately that didn't happen and the only player who left the court injured walked off looking like she had a cramp or pull in her calf.
BearBint
Grand Canyon's coach is Nicole Powell, a Stanford star forward I always liked: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicole_Powell

I wish that former Pac-10/12 players-turned-coach would be acknowledged during games; I suppose I could always write someone at the WBB department and ask about it.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
HoopDreams
yeah, GC's coach looked like an athlete.

Sara had 5 terrible passes, 4 of which resulted in turnovers. She also had a wide open three, but leaned into the shot and bricked it. Just never got into a rhythm. We will need her during conference, so how she shakes it off

Styles had a great game, and is killer from midrange

Brown often looks like the most athletic player on the court

Yes, Jazzy looks to be our next great wing (Brown is that this year)

One thing I notice about CJ is she is quick off the hop. When she gets a rebound, she immediately goes up for the shot. Never brings it down to gather, and doesn't hesitate. She also never gives up on the ball, often getting her own rebound

GC's Daniel is a very good player

Overall, this offense moves well and gets open shots for our players. Much more fluid with more movement off the ball than prior offenses. Probably because we were so determined to get the ball to KA in the post
pearbear
stu said:

Every time I see Jazlen play I like her more. Tonight she had 15 points, 4 steals, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, and 2 blocks. She even played some point near the end.

Our 3-point shooting was off and we had more trouble around the basket than I would have expected but our midrange jumpers were going in.

We played another stretch with all 4 freshies on the floor, this time with Chen.

GCU had 2 players who looked good to me, Holland and Daniel. If nothing else the rest were rough. I was afraid the refs might lose control of the game. Fortunately that didn't happen and the only player who left the court injured walked off looking like she had a cramp or pull in her calf.
Green's growth today was in realizing that her 3 ball was not on and quickly adjusting to other ways to contribute on offense. She also was more active and aware on defense.
wvitbear
When I looked at the stats, I wondered if this was our team high in steals for the season. And it was. thanks for mentioning that in your article.

Cal has not been a steal machine in the past. but this year, we are something like 3rd in the Pac 12 in steals. And LeLaini(SP) is second in the Pac 12 in steals going into tonight. Lots of active hands.

I have been talking for years about Styles 's midrange shooting acumen. Anyone who has gone to a practice can tell you that.

By the way, Thomas was at the game last night. The camera showed her sitting at the court. Good to see her.

Good crowd. Lots of young people. First time over 2,000?

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.