Stanford Tonight

3,066 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BearBint
annarborbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pretty important game tonight. Need to right the ship, especially in not having another bad first half. Will we see some line-up changes? Can we get back to playing some solid defense?
Schroeder71
I'm not going to touch these two games with Stanford. The way Cal played against Washington State was disappointing to say the least...I do not forsee the Bears having an opportunity to be competitive in either of these contests. I have nothing positive to contribute so I'll not say anything at all...GO BEARS!
3Cats4CAL
Just a general question- Way back when I first attended CAL in 1978- Cal's school colors were Blue and Gold and we were the Cal Bears. Go Bears. At that time I thought Stanford's school colors were Red and white and they were the Stanford Cardinals. When did they add black to their uniforms and when did they start referring to themselves as "Card" ? Is it because their PR felt they needed a tougher looking color (Black) and a hipper/ easier chant- ie "Go Card" (instead of "Go Cardinals" ?

Go BEARS
CalWSportsFan
Stanford is not the Cardinals...they are the Stanford Cardinal just like Harvard is the Crimson...They adopted the moniker in 1981 after going nameless for a number of years (dumping "Indians" in 1972). Cardinal references the color....from Wikipedia " Following its win over Cal in the first-ever Big Game in 1892, the color cardinal was picked as the primary color of Stanford's athletic teams. White was adopted as a secondary color in the 1940s."
HateRed
What the hell is going on with the women's basketball?
Geez...
BearBint
Is anyone else having a terrible time with watching on Pac-12?
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
tabear82
On comcast in orinda, Pac12 netowrk (823) has OSU-UA. Is there another Pac12 channel?
IssyBear
BearBint said:

Is anyone else having a terrible time with watching on Pac-12?
Yes, but it's not the telecast, it's the game itself. Not only are we getting drummed, our players are dropping like flies.
IssyBear
CalWSportsFan said:

Stanford is not the Cardinals...they are the Stanford Cardinal just like Harvard is the Crimson...They adopted the moniker in 1981 after going nameless for a number of years (dumping "Indians" in 1972). Cardinal references the color....from Wikipedia " Following its win over Cal in the first-ever Big Game in 1892, the color cardinal was picked as the primary color of Stanford's athletic teams. White was adopted as a secondary color in the 1940s."
When the "Indians" moniker was dropped, the Stanford students took a vote and picked "Robber Barrons" as their new name. I guess this was to "honor" the heritage of the school's founder. For some unexplained reason, the school chose not to accept the student's choice.
BearBint
tabear82 said:

On comcast in orinda, Pac12 netowrk (823) has OSU-UA. Is there another Pac12 channel?

Thanks. Got Arizona v. OSU, which is fine with us right now.

Ah, well. I guess it truly is a rebuilding year. And I can accept that--especially if Alaysia steps up as team leader next season.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
UrsineMaximus
Actually the best minutes of the game for Cal here at the end of the 3rd Qrtr. And that is with 4 freshman on the floor.
stu
Good news: 9 assists on 15 baskets.
Bad news: That's for the game, not the 1st half.

I didn't see the game but noticed Jaylen played only 19 minutes. Was she injured?
Ashfield63
tabear82 said:

I get two Pac-12 stations, and live in Orinda. Scroll either up or down one to connect with the other Pac-12 channel. It takes awhile for the stations to connect. There can be a long pause. I punch in 433, which is 1330, then scroll down to 1329. That is how I get both stations. One of the stations always replays the CAL games.
GGV
HoopDreams
Cal fights to the end but Stanford big is a beast

Is she the one who can dunk?

I haven't seen that dominate a player at Stanford since their superstar post many years ago
Ashfield63
stu said:

Good news: 9 assists on 15 baskets.
Bad news: That's for the game, not the 1st half.

I didn't see the game but noticed Jaylen played only 19 minutes. Was she injured?

I did not watch much of the game as I can't watch blowouts...Jaelyn did get hurt and went to the bench. Hopefully, it isn't serious. I watched the Arizona State game.....they were behind until 4 min. were left...ASU seniors started nailing threes..their 2 seniors stepped up big...ASU trailed by around 10 points for the game. Things just did not go Oregon's way eventhough the ball was going to Sabrina...she did score at least 2 times..Oregon State only beat Arizona by two points. Their star player, Pivic(sp) was very cool and scored with under 3 seconds left. Now, both Oregon State and UCLA are undefeated...WOW! I watched Conn. lose to Baylor yesterday. I would think Oregon State will be number one ....Cal looks like kids playing adults....they are small, and just don't have the muscle. I love this team and feel badly for the players when the game is not competitive. I watched the first few minutes, and CAL misssed open shots. Maybe tomorrow during practice they can just practice shooting. Stanford is so deep, so CAL needs to rest up. It's good CAL will have 3 tall forwards next year. Oregon State's players are so tall, even the bench...I am happy for th freshman players getting a chance to play many minutes. They are fun to talk to, and watch them play. If the seniors all played like Jaelyn the team could be more competitive. Plus, she always guards the other team's best scorer. Will be at Haas on Sunday...Last year's game was great with Asha Thomas making the lay up buzzer beater. I have confidence that Charmin will build a winning team in time. Oh, have wanted to say that I sat next to Jaelyn's parents at the first game of the Thanksgiving tournament. Her father told me, she was ranked #2 in the country before she had injuries and surgery or maybe surgeries. Through the years I have met several of the players parents. I met Lelani and Cailyn's mothers last week. They all are warm, and really good people. They take losses in stride. GO BEARS!!
GGV
annarborbear
Watching a replay. We actually stayed close for the first five minutes when neither team was putting points on the board. But once points were required to keep up, we had nothing. We can only win if shots are dropping and that is simply a big weakness of this year's team. And SA will be overmatched athletically by everyone we face in the PAC-12.
HoopDreams
I really like this team

A lot of heart

Also like the freshmen

They will get better
Schroeder71
https://calbears.com/documents/2020/1/10//14_STAN.pdf

The frosh dunker is Francesca Belibi. The 6-5 frosh post, Ashten Prechtel, had 13 & the frosh PG Haley Jones registered 17. Thank goodness that Tara called off the dogs in the fourth quarter. The score was 58-18 after three quarters but the Bears outscored the Cardinal reserves 22-17 in the final stanza.

This was perhaps the worst drubbing of the modern era for Cal women's bball. Thank goodness that I turned it off at halftime. Cal scored 6 points in the 1st quarter vs Washington State last Sunday and tallied 5 tonight vs Furd. The Bears hit a season low of 3 points in the 3rd. I do not remember being outrebounded this season but Stanford crushed Cal 50-29 on the boards. Wow!
willtalk
Pac 12 really loaded this year. Not a good year to be rebuilding.

Sling streaming service gives you 6 Pac 12 channels, plus ACC, SEC and Big 12. all the ESPN stations. That is why during basketball season you might think about subscribing.
3Cats4CAL
I didn't like when the announcers kept talking about all the freshmen on Stanford's team...yes- and Cal has a lot of freshmen starting/playing but their freshmen are 4-5 star recuits. including Jones the #1 PG. Even though the bears played poorly in the first half/three quarters I love how hard they kept playing to the very end. And the future is bright.
BearBint
annarborbear said:

Watching a replay. We actually stayed close for the first five minutes when neither team was putting points on the board. But once points were required to keep up, we had nothing. We can only win if shots are dropping and that is simply a big weakness of this year's team. And SA will be overmatched athletically by everyone we face in the PAC-12.
I've forgotten: where can I see a replay on-line? (Pac-12 livestream was almost unwatchable.) Thanks, annarborbear.
annarborbear
I watched it on television. There was a replay last night at 10:30 PM on PAC12 Bay Area. Don't know if they will show it again on that channel.
annarborbear
Not sure what else we can do this year. We play hard at all times. But if we can't shoot, we can't score and can't pressure people coming up the court using quickness and effort. I think we should really focus on reducing unforced TO's leading into next year. Get rid of as many bad habits as we can this year, and then move into the next phase of rebuilding. You absolutely do need shooters, rebounders, shot-blockers and athletic defenders to compete in the PAC12.
UrsineMaximus
annarborbear said:

Not sure what else we can do this year. We play hard at all times. But if we can't shoot, we can't score and can't pressure people coming up the court using quickness and effort. I think we should really focus on reducing unforced TO's leading into next year. Get rid of as many bad habits as we can this year, and then move into the next phase of rebuilding. You absolutely do need shooters, rebounders, shot-blockers and athletic defenders to compete in the PAC12.
I would start with replacing CJ and Sara as starters. Let them be on the bench and give them enough minutes, but they should be on the bench more than on the floor. Then just let the freshman fire away: Green / Crocker. And many many more minutes for ELS (has she found her tooth yet??).
BearBint
annarborbear said:

I watched it on television. There was a replay last night at 10:30 PM on PAC12 Bay Area. Don't know if they will show it again on that channel.
Thanks, annarborbear.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.