Cayton - Senior Day

8,946 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by annarborbear
ClayK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Eliza Pierre was one of the best defenders I have ever seen.

I saw Cayton a few times, and she was good, but for me, she wasn't even close to Pierre.
HoopDreams
ClayK said:

Eliza Pierre was one of the best defenders I have ever seen.

I saw Cayton a few times, and she was good, but for me, she wasn't even close to Pierre.
could be. pierre was longer.

i thought cayton was a great defender vs opposing PGs, and thought her overall game was better than Pierre.

Maybe Pierre could guard bigger players better.

I don't remember Pierre as much as Cayton, so I can't say she was a better all around defender than Pierre
wvitbear
I agree that Pierre was special. but she wasn't that much bigger than Cayton. Boyd wqas a terror on defense too. At the time people considered her as the best defensive guard in the country. Imagine her and Pierre together.

Both Boyd and Pierre were very good rebounders. There was a reason we led the nation in rebounding and it wasn't just Brandon.

Going back a little farter, there was a woman from Narbonne who was an excellent defender. Can't remember her name.
HoopDreams
to refresh your memory about outstanding Pierre's defense ...

BearBint
Anyone remember the time Utah was grinding away, forcing fouls, until the post players were in trouble? Eliza volunteered at half-time to play center, and rebounded like a rubber ball until the bigs could come back in.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
wvitbear
Laure Gief. An excellent defender. Not as quick as some mentioned but the best I have seen at figuring out the angles. If she was guarding a quicker player, when that player lost her on the high post screen, she always figured the angle to take to meet her at the pass. Knew how to cut corners. and very hard nosed. Good rebounder. The trio of Gray-Lawson, Grief, and Vital was a savage defensive trio. Grief was not a scorer, so she needed to be on a team that had others scoring. But she was a head hunter. One of my favorite players.
HoopDreams
if you want a refresh on how fast boyd is ...

wbbilluminati
God. Let's get back to that level, Charmin!

What an amazing balanced unit we were back then.

HoopDreams
two pac 12 teams...

https://instagr.am/p/B-tC3f8nJB3
annarborbear
TCU and Oregon State do not have law schools. So maybe this will be more of a basketball decision.
Baygbear
Raoul on Twitter... Cal WBB grad transfer Mi'Cole Cayton (5-9 RS JR guard, Stockton, CA) has announced her commitment to Nebraska, the school she had originally signed with out of HS; she was also considering Oklahoma, Oregon State, Rutgers, TCU, and Utah

Ashfield63
Ashfield63
Surely hope she stays injury free....Hope she likes being a "Cornhusker".....It will be quite an experience for a Californian
GGV
HoopDreams
so far from home. wish her the best

wbbilluminati
I glanced at Nebraska's roster and they didn't;t seem to have hardly any guards at all. Plus they lost a main player to transfer to Michigan, so this destination makes a lot of sense for Cayton. I'm sure we'll all be rooting for her to have a healthy and successful remainder of her college career at the place she originally committed to. Good luck
3Cats4CAL
Can anyone please explain how it works for grad students ? As a grad student couldn't Cayton have stayed at Cal and gone to Cal's law school and play a final year as a Bear?
Finnish Oski
Quote:

As a grad student couldn't Cayton have stayed at Cal and gone to Cal's law school and play a final year as a Bear?
Yup. Maybe someone can explain why she'd rather play one year at Nebraska than one at Cal. Surely it wasn't a matter of playing time.
"I'm just here so I won't get fined."
annarborbear
3Cats4CAL said:

Can anyone please explain how it works for grad students ? As a grad student couldn't Cayton have stayed at Cal and gone to Cal's law school and play a final year as a Bear?
Best guess, presuming that she will study law at Nebraska: Berkeley Law admissions standards incredibly high, class already full with offers accepted, would not allow part-time study in initial year for a student-athlete.
Kookiebean
Doesn't Cayton have 3 years of eligibility?
Maybe she wanted a school in who could offer more than 1 year? Just guessing (I'll ask her dad)
wbbilluminati
Cayton does seem to have 3 years of eligibility and that would be unprecedented as far as I know though if she played over the course of 7 years!
wvitbear
You are suppose to have 5 years to play four years. So one red shirt year is for sure. Then you petitition for a 6th year. And sometimes it is given. but I have never heard of anyone getting 7 years.
ncbears
wvitbear said:

You are suppose to have 5 years to play four years. So one red shirt year is for sure. Then you petitition for a 6th year. And sometimes it is given. but I have never heard of anyone getting 7 years.
How many years did Grigsby suit up for Cal?
wvitbear
I believe 6 years.
Intuit
ncbears, I think I read somewhere that his granddaughter attended his team's family night ceremony
Kookiebean
At USC Jackie Gemelos missed the 200607 through 200809 seasons due to injuries, before making her collegiate debut on February 4, 2010

Gemelos completed her bachelor's degree in sociology at USC in 2010 ana d master's degree in gerontology in 2012. She played all 37 games (28 starts) of the 201011 season
In the 2011-12 season, Gemelos started the first nine games before a season-ending injury on December 18, 2011.

My math may not be correct but is that 6 years 2006 to 2012?

Cayton might actually be 6 years as well (If above is actually 6)
wvitbear
Like I said. I have heard of numerous 6 years but I have never heard of a 7th year. Rex
OBear073akaSMFan
wvitbear said:

Like I said. I have heard of numerous 6 years but I have never heard of a 7t
How about the Mormon schools? I don't know any but they do typically go on 2 yr mission. I can easily imagine some might take 7 years to graduate.
IssyBear
OBear073akaSMFan said:

wvitbear said:

How about the Mormon schools? I don't know any but they do typically go on 2 yr mission. I can easily imagine some might take 7 years to graduate.
I don't think the clock stars for them until they return from their mission. I think the BTU football team has a few 24 year olds. Their starting QB turned 25 during the season last year.
wvitbear
Remember the two years they are gone they are not enrolled in College. While our player was enrolled the whole time. Still go to school 2 years, on tour for two years and a final two years is 6 years. Not seven.
HoopDreams
OBear073akaSMFan said:

wvitbear said:

sorry, not WBB related but your post reminded me of a guard Martin signed who de-committed and signed with BYU when Martin left.... Trevin Knell

He finished his freshmen year at BYU with following stats:

averaged 6 minutes, 1.5 pts on 33% shooting, including 27% from 3 (7-25), 0.6 RB, 0.2 Assts, 0.6 fouls, 0.1 TOs.

Remarkably low stats in every category. Did he stand in a corner or something?

ncbears
annarborbear
Not yet going to law school. So it looks like she picked the place she felt most comfortable in playing out her final year of eligibility. Good for her. Hope that she has fully recovered from her medical issues.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.