@ Arizona

5,468 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by smh
ncbears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Watching video of Brown walking so excitedly to the locker room is just pure joy.

Smith had Cal playing the right defense on that last play (yes, in part, because it worked. If McDonald makes that three pointer, then, well, I would have just said it was a great shot - not that defense was off)
UrsineMaximus
not allowing McDonald to drive left was YUGE ~ great defense and coaching!!
CalWSportsFan
Great way to finish PAC-12 play. So happy for this team but particularly the seniors. Way to hang tough Bears. Good things await this team.
SFCALBear72
UrsineMaximus said:

Achilles heal all year came back to bite the Bears ~ poor interior passing & bigs just missing layups!! Other than that great effort by the Bears.

Like to see less of Sara on the floor ~ negatives out weigh the positives too much.

This finish will be a good evaluation of Charmin's coaching chops.
How do you like those coaching chops??

GO Bears!!!
pearbear
I am so happy for the Bears and for Brown!

They won shooting 29%! What!?

annarborbear
Beating a ranked team on the road after going 2-15 in the conference. That is called never quitting.
wvitbear
McDonald was getting her points from the free throw lane and from layups. Hasn't shot well from outside .

I sure got tired of the refs rewarding McDonald with charging into someone and then giving the defensive player the foul. and finally it looked like we might get the same call and they called a charging foul on Leilani.

They hung tough down the stretch. Freshman looked great.
ncbears
So only two Bears in double figures - Green with 17 and Brown with 10 (of course, as they say, none bigger than those last two - it also was only her second field goal, the other being a three pointer in the first half).
Cal shoots, ahem, 30.4 for the game (28.6 in second half). Zona shot 36 for the game, but only 23.1 for the fourth. Zona was 1-16 from deep.
17-27 from the free throw line. Zona was 17-22. A few more made free throws for the Bears might have made this not as much of a nail biter.
Cal outrebounds Zona 42-34. Second chance points were Cal 10, Zona 1. (Does Brown's putback count as a second chance point?)
Each team with 15 turnovers. Zona with 12 points off turnovers and Cal only 8.

Bears win with grit and determination.

GO BEARS!

and, Mr. Male Announcer, this was not the last game for the seniors.
37.8703, -122.2732
The Bear does not quit. The Bear will not die
pearbear
ncbears said:

Watching video of Brown walking so excitedly to the locker room is just pure joy.

Smith had Cal playing the right defense on that last play (yes, in part, because it worked. If McDonald makes that three pointer, then, well, I would have just said it was a great shot - not that defense was off)

And the play to get West open was also well chosen and executed! It created the opportunity for the Brown heroics.
ncbears
wvitbear said:

McDonald was getting her points from the free throw lane and from layups. Hasn't shot well from outside .

I sure got tired of the refs rewarding McDonald with charging into someone and then giving the defensive player the foul. and finally it looked like we might get the same call and they called a charging foul on Leilani.

They hung tough down the stretch. Freshman looked great.
McDonald was 9-11 from the free throw line. 4-11 from the field. That last shot was only her second three point attempt for the game.
BearBint
ncbears said:

PALMS OF VICTORY!
And there shall be more palms next season!
UrsineMaximus
Luv it and EXACTLY what I was expecting to see. Big game for the players and a big game for the staff and Coach Smith!!
wvitbear
McDonald was 7 for 20 against Stanford and 0 for 3 in three point land.

So it was good to see her shoot from outside instead of drawing a foul.
Finnish Oski
Friday Arizona beat Stanfurd, today we beat Arizona, therefore we are now better than Stanfurd. Fact!
"I'm just here so I won't get fined."
BearBint
A must-watch (and pump up the volume!): https://twitter.com/CalWBBall
IssyBear
Finnish Oski said:

Friday Arizona beat Stanfurd, today we beat Arizona, therefore we are now better than Stanfurd. Fact!
Oikea
pearbear
First top-25 road win since 2015!
BearBint
pearbear said:

Did she mean pre-conference or conference, I wonder?
pearbear
BearBint said:

pearbear said:

Did she mean pre-conference or conference, I wonder?

If memory serves, the last one was at Louisville at beginning of 2015-16 season? Or was there a later one? When did we last win at Stanford?

Of course, this was before the Pac-12 became a top-25 minefield; you play a ranked team practically every weekend!
HoopDreams
How big was THAT!
Schroeder71
Cal (& Charmin Smith) needed a upset victory like this. The Bears could not make a basket down the stretch again but neither could the Wildcats. It was mostly a game of free throws until Jaelyn Brown scored the game-winning put-back.

The seniors should be grateful for the four freshmen that led the team today. I noticed that the freshmen provided the energy vs ASU, too. The seniors have not contributed much lately [CJ West, Chen Yue & Sara Anastasieska] except for an occasional burst from Jaelyn Brown. JB has been getting into foul difficulty early and having to sit many minutes. Today-she picked up two fouls in the initial six minutes and sat out the duration of the half.

This is the third conference win for Cal and they have all been on the road...GO BEARS!
annarborbear
There are very few teams that just flat-out play hard for an entire season, especially when they are losing. Great credit to Charmin and the coaches, but also to all of the players. Some real fire and family chemistry there. Thanks also to those who played hurt and kept coming back. More concussion protocols than I can ever recall.
CalWSportsFan
Exactly...this team played every game with true heart...hard to do when losing game after game. The experience gained by these road warrior frosh will be significant as Charmin et al continue to rebuild this program into a contender. I really enjoyed cheering for this team this season...today's win was the cherry on top.
Bear8995
Agree. Gerat job, Coach Smith and staff. So happy for the players!
smh
pearbear said:

Bears playing hard and shots are now dropping. 22-10 Cal in the 2nd.

heey, no faair, software doesn't have a thumbs up star button for PearBear's posts, mumble-grumble.
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
smh
Schroeder71 said:

This is the third conference win for Cal and they have all been on the road...GO BEARS!
as usual homer simpson says it best.. D'OH

[ got home late. thank Oski for team dedication, pac-net, tivo, cyberbears; r.i.p. greybear (sniff) ]
smh
BearBint said:

A must-watch (and pump up the volume!): https://twitter.com/CalWBBall

bearbint's spelled-out permalinks are (fingers crossed)..
twitter.com/CalWBBall/status/1234263903334363138 and
twitter.com/CalWBBall/status/1234225300965187584

smh
a couple az add-ons from youtube vids permabase..
https://www.youtube.com/user/calathletics

spelled out..
youtube.com/watch?v=iR0NDD7FLH8
youtube.com/watch?v=VBsIm4Y8rSE

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.