Congrats To Cal WBB For Beating #13 Arizona In Tucson Today

2,184 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ashfield63
calbear80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal WBB beat #13 University of Arizona in Tucson today 55-54 on a go ahead tip-in by Senior Jaelyn Brown with 13.7 seconds to go. WBB, with a depleted roster, has had a tough year and this is by far the biggest win of the season.

Congrats to Coach Charmin Smith, Cal WBB and specially the seniors for winning the last regular season game against a highly ranked opponent on the read. Today, we are all proud of you.

Go Bears!
stu
Well deserved!
HoopDreams
Just read box score and saw bears out rebounded AZ by 8

Without the positive rebound margin, the bears lose this one (and no bigger than the last one from brown)

Evelien was the game leader with 11. She is one of my favorite players because for her, it's all about effort and heart. No one out hustles her

And there were other rebound heros - Crocker with 6, Chen, Green and Brown with 5

Our rebounding was the biggest contributor to our 6 extra shots
calbear80
Chen is a senior and has only one (or maybe two) game(s) left in her Cal career. At 6'-6", has not been as impactful as many had hoped, but she is one of the players I look for when I look at the box score (maybe because she called me on behalf of the Athletic Department when I made a donation to Cal WBB and was very pleasant or maybe because she is a Foreign Student at Cal just like I was). She had 5 rebounds in this game and I am happy for her.

Go Bears!
willtalk
I believe Chen could have been used more than she was by the previous coach. You need time on the court to develop. I am sure there were many matchups that should have justified more time on the court for her.
smh
calbear80 said:

Congrats to Coach Charmin Smith..
yes, you're right, in spite of some (as always) skeptical whether she could do the job.
# recruiting matters
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
LMK5
What are the impressions of Charmin Smith as compared to her predecessor?
stu
LMK5 said:

What are the impressions of Charmin Smith as compared to her predecessor?
It's hard for me to separate the impacts of different coach and different players since we have only 3 players who played significant minutes for Gottlieb.

That said, I think I see an improvement in intensity and toughness. Yesterday we were able to grind out a road win against a good opponent when our shots weren't falling. I remember some of those under Boyle, not so many under Gottlieb.

I also see more balanced scoring. I thought Gottlieb's offenses depended too much on passing into the post, though that did improve last season.

Finally one class is a small sample, but I love Smith's first recruiting class. I remember such a number of highly-rated players only in the great classes of 2005 and 2009 recruited by Horstmeyer and Boyle.
joe amos yaks
THEE BEARS !
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
puget sound cal fan
stu, you make good points. I would ad her ability to help her players develop and demonstrate resilience as part of the team's make-up. Every game has its ups and downs, but the AZ game showed this team's ability to weather adversity and still summon the wherewithal to hang-in and get the win! Builds confidence. That capability is something Charmin has developed with this team that wasn't such a part of prior teams. This characteristic should help the Bears a lot at tournament time.
Ashfield63
While watching many WBB games throughout the country, I was feeling sorry for myself. How can Cal compete as there are so many terrific players,,,,we do not have our share....the guards are getting taller, bigger, and stronger......then, The Cal vs Arizona game came up on my phone.....at the end I was thinking the worse they can do is to lose by one point.....but girls, how can you miss such vital free throws....then Jaelyn rebounds and scores!!!! WOW....Charmin called the team over and set the defense. They executed the plan as designed, and the Bears won. The Pac-12 announcers seemed to be rooting for Cal...Their post-game interview with a smiling Jaelyn Brown was wonderful. The video of the locker room celebration while the players threw water on Charmin was enjoyed by all. It was great to see Charmin smiling and enjoying celebrating with her small, but eager team.....GO BEARS....
GGV
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.