OT-CA CIF play-off brackets (Open Div thru VI)

2,196 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ClayK
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.maxpreps.com/tournament/list/CRO9v1wTEeqAzqREozo6lw/girls-basketball-winter-19-20/2020-cif-state-girls-basketball-championships.htm
wvitbear
Tip of the hat to Cardinal Newman who beat St. Mary's of Stockton at St Marys. This team never gets any respect. Now they get to play Mitty. Don't think they can do it twice.
Schroeder71
https://www.maxpreps.com/games/3-7-2020/girls-basketball-winter-19-20/archbishop-mitty-vs-cardinal-newman.htm?c=4wbXhV4IE0G3FgWAdP0AQg#tab=scoretrkr&schoolid=

I was supposed to be able to see the game but couldn't get it. Cardinal Newman played well in the first and last quarters but disappeared in the 2nd & 3rd periods. Evidently-the Monarchs pressed and doubled Anya Choice every time she touched the ball. She was held to two points at intermission but registered a dozen points late after they trailed by 33 (55-22). Mitty rotated 10-11 players throughout the game (including only one senior).

Cardinal Newman cut the final margin to 24 points. Final: AM 64, CN 40.
ClayK
Mitty is just too deep, too good and too well-coached. This could be the year they win the State Open, if of course it gets played.
Schroeder71
top Nor Cal teams for next season: 3
#1-Archbishop Mitty returns 10 of top 11!
Monarchs are led by junior class of seven
quality, proven players. They also have 3
promising soph guards who rotated in regularly.
Both the AM JV & Freshmen teams went un-defeated
and their top two players from each were brought up
for the play-offs. Maybe no superstars but several DI
quality prospects in their system...
JR PF Katie Springs (6-1)
JR PF Olivia Williams (6-1)
JR SF Marley Langi (6-0)
JR SF Amelia Scharpf (6-0)
JR SF Anika Chinthakunta (5-10)
JR SG Sydney Bourland (5-10)
JR PG Hunter Hernandez (5-10)
SO PG Noemie Bariteau (5-5)
SO SG Siena Guttadauro (5-6)
So SG Makayla Moore (5-11)
-------------------------------------------
FR C Jamaya Perry (6-0)
FR SF Maya Hernandez (5-11)
SO SG Natalie Anderson (5-10)
FR PG Elle Hanson (5-10)

#2-BOD was a senior-laden squad but return their
three star players:
SO SG Amaya Bonner (6-0)
JR SF Kennedy Johnson (6-0)
JR PG Alanis Brewer (5-7)
JR SG Tyra Hamilton (5-8)

#3-Pinewood only graduated one senior who did not
play regularly. Most of their production emanated
from their starting five:
JR C Maia Garcia (6-3)
SO PF Valentina Saric (6-0)
JR SF Una Jovanovic (5-9)
JR SG Courtni Thompson (5-5)
JR PG Annika Decker (5-4)
Courtni Thompson drew 25 charging calls
which likely leads the Bay Area. She missed
3 games, too, after injury early in the Salesian
loss.

Feedback, anyone? GO BEARS!

ClayK
It will be interesting to see how BOD adjusts without all those seniors ... even though Johnson was the best player, and Bonner is pretty good, that's a lot to lose.

Salesian was very young as well, and probably has more raw talent than Pinewood.

Miramonte -- and I know you were dying to ask -- also lost seven seniors, but the two horses -- Mia Mastrov and Jordan Allred (committed to Idaho) are both back. Expect lots of shots from both ...
Schroeder71
ClayK-why do Miramonte and Mitty play each other so seldom?

Btw-the SJ Mercury came out with their final top 25 rankings today for Bay Area boys & girls. Remember when the WCAL was acknowledged as the strongest league especially in the CCS? Well-the next four CCS ranked teams all belong to the WestBay-Foothill Athletic League: #6-Pinewood, #8-Menlo, #14 Sacred Heart Prep & #15-Woodside Priory. Eastside College Prep had an off-season. The WCAL ranked teams were #1-Mitty, #16-SI,
#19-Valley Christian, #23-SHC & #24-Presentation. Saint Francis suffered a couple of injuries and did not live
up to expectations. I found that interesting although I am not certain that it is a trend...

Cal could use a junior PG or a junior SG to add to their class of 2021. Would Miramonte's PG Mia Mastrov or Woodside Priory's PG Aniyah Augmon possess enough talent to merit offers? Archbishop Mitty has a half dozen fundamentally sound wing/guard players (5-10 to 6-1) that can hit the three and play tough defense. These girls know how to play team basketball and make the most of their chances when they come along...

GO BEARS!
wvitbear
To me Mastrov is sort of a combo guard. She is tall, a good athlete, left handed. Shoots well from outside. I personally like her and she will be playing somewhere in the Pac 12. I hope for Cal.

Why haven't you mentioned antelope which has the highest rated girl in that class. Harriel is pretty good. You should go watch her. Mastrov is rated second in that class.
ClayK
Mia Mastrov is a Pac-12 player, no doubt, and so is Jzaniya Harriel. I don't know if either is a star at that level -- Mastrov is a better defender (she's a better defender than almost everyone) but Harriel is a better scorer. As is almost always the case, how they fit with their coaches and programs will be the key.

We played Woodside Priory and I loved Augmon's game, but from what I saw, she is not a good shooter. If I recall correctly, she even struggled at the free-throw line, and had no perimeter game at all. Superb defender, played hard, good leader -- but don't know if she's a difference-maker in the Pac-12.

Mitty vs. Miramonte: Mitty is a lot better than we are, and driving to San Jose to lose by 30, and then having them come back to Orinda and do the same, is not that attractive an option.

The other aspect is this: We might always draw Mitty in postseason, and our best chance to beat them would be that they aren't really familiar with our particular style and would take some time to adjust. (Joe Guerra would have us scouted to perfection, of course, but sometimes it takes the players a quarter to figure things out on the court.) So maybe we steal a couple baskets, bank in a few threes, get some (a lot) calls to go our way and we escape with a win. But if we've played them earlier in the year, no surprises and sadly, less chance of an upset.

"To be the best, you have to beat the best" is true in postseason, but otherwise doesn't always apply. Mitty is head and shoulders above everyone in Northern California right now, so it makes sense to save whatever bullets you have -- and we won't have nearly as many this coming year -- for the playoffs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.