End of year comments

2,796 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by wvitbear
wvitbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?

1. When was the last time Cal beat two top 25 opponents in a row.

2. Better still, when was the last time Cal beat two top 25 opponents in a row on the road? My answer would be maybe in a Pac 12 tourney.

3. Cal won 4 Pac 12 games this year. All on the road. We won none at home. when did that last happen?

4. The freshman have matured. Leilani and Crocker both have played point guard well. Don't think we need Green to move ahead of them. They have really improved their defense by getting around screens.

5. The whole team is playing man to man much better. When you have the lineup of Leileani,Crocker, Green, Brown, and Schipholt, you have a pretty good defensive team. When I watched the first team practice I said I thought we would be better defensively because we were more athletic. But it didn't come to fruition till the end of the season.

6. We are also playing the zone better. Lindsey tried for years to play the zone. Partly to protect Anigwe who was foul prone. But it didn't work. Charmin tried to go with man to man for a good part of the season but it wasn't working so they started playing a zone. And it didn't work at first. Now they are playing it much better. Especially like the box and one they played on Arizona the last seconds of the game where they really hounded McDonald.

7. Crocker was not a good shooter in high school. and she started off the season not shooting well . but she came alive the last 10 games or so and also became a good free throw shooter.

8. Schipholt is a very good defensive player who sometimes gets in foul trouble. Is a very good shot blocker because she is a quick jumper and waits till the last second to go up. She, Leilani, and Brown can definitely put some pressure on you.

9. Will be nice to have veturn guards leading this team the team next year with the new bigs. Having Schip will help to.
annarborbear
I was concerned about Schipholt when I watched her European tapes last year. She was quite athletic, but didn't seem to elevate or have any kind of a shot. What I underestimated was her toughness and relentless energy. I do hope that she will be able find some kind of an offensive game over the off-season. But congratulations to her for her major contributions this year.
CalFanatic
Mark my words. This team next year will be in the post season. Styles, Green, Crocker, Schipholt and McIntosh... PLUS 4 top 100 posts?!

I have never been so ready for a new season to start.
GATC
CalFanatic said:

Mark my words. This team next year will be in the post season. Styles, Green, Crocker, Schipholt and McIntosh... PLUS 4 top 100 posts?!

I share your enthusiasm but we are really going to miss Brown. I hope we get more fans at the game. The team plays hard all the time but the crowd really energizes them.
SFCALBear72
GATC said:

CalFanatic said:

I share your enthusiasm but we are really going to miss Brown. I hope we get more fans at the game. The team plays hard all the time but the crowd really energizes them.
I agree about needing more fans at the games and the impact they have on this team.

I do think Cal marketing efforts will have more to "sell" going into next season. They will know more about Coach Smith's coaching style. Plus, a top 10 recruiting class, the late season surge by the Bears which included two wins over top 25 conference teams, three overall wins over top 25 teams and two near misses (Kentucky and 4-point overtime loss to #10 UCLA). If we have an attractive non-conference home schedule that will help too because the Pac-12 will again be strong.
HoopDreams
GATC said:

CalFanatic said:

yeah, Brown is a great player, and will be hard to replace
wvitbear
We've had Brown and Cowling the past 6 years. Longer wing types who could play a four in a pinch. And they can guard a taller guard. We don't really have a recruit or returning player who meets that criterion. although the girl from Garfield in Seattle might be that one.
puget sound cal fan
The critical factor fueling expectations for next season is Charmin and crew are proving they can coach and develop players.
stu
I'm a little worried about the effect of the coronavirus on our international players. Travel restrictions and family needs might induce them to go or stay home.
bearchamp
I don't think Cal will have to "sell" WBB next year. The performance this year is enough sell. Cal will win next year, top four in league, and that will sell itself.
wvitbear
You know we didn't draw that well the year after we were in the final four. Better than now but still not as good as we should have. What has changed from then to now when we came in last in the Pac 12 (although we had some promising victories at the end).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.