Swedish 6-0 G Alma Elsnitz commits!

5,045 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by annarborbear
bearwbbfan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
She will be a member of the class of 2020:
bearwbbfan
She (#14) and Ornela (#13) played each other this summer
wvitbear
Looks great. we need a wing and she qualifies. Does everything. Can't be sure of the opposition but on film she's great.
BearBint
Many thanks for the news. I really like our international teams.
CalFanatic
Oh I absolutely love her game. Does it all... plays hard... is a relatively big guard. Reminds me a lot of Lauren Grief
ncbears
5'11 or 6'0?
annarborbear
These Euro tapes are always hard to evaluate since the competition is slower and shorter. But hopefully Shipholt knows these two, and has been able to weigh in on their potential.
CalFanatic
annarborbear said:

These Euro tapes are always hard to evaluate since the competition is slower and shorter. But hopefully Shipholt knows these two, and has been able to weigh in on their potential.
Schipholt performed far better than I would've imagined based on her tapes. That gives me hope.
annarborbear
Have to say that what I like most about this is that Charmin and her staff are working relentlessly on all fronts.

By the way, my grandparents are Swedish, so I have been there several times. They start teaching English in the fourth grade, and my Swedish relatives speak better English than I do. So she should be ready in that respect.
Intuit
annarborbear said:

Have to say that what I like most about this is that Charmin and her staff are working relentlessly on all fronts.

By the way, my grandparents are Swedish, so I have been there several times. They start teaching English in the fourth grade, and my Swedish relatives speak better English than I do. So she should be ready in that respect.
I hope Charmin is sharing her international contacts with Mark Fox.
HoopDreams
annarborbear said:

Sweden and that part of euro is on my short list to visit
annarborbear
HoopDreams said:

annarborbear said:

Sweden and that part of euro is on my short list to visit

Highly recommended. I actually like Norway even more than Sweden due to the great scenery and terrific food.
bearwbbfan
ncbears said:

5'11 or 6'0?
First tweet I saw said 6-0, but I've mostly been seeing 5'11 since.
HoopDreams
good defensive fundamentals, stays with plays, good catch and shoot

doesn't look like a slasher or speedster. nice size. high hoops IQ

not as impressed with Ornela. Faster/quicker, and has a shot, but her drives are wild
BearBint
bearwbbfan said:

ncbears said:

5'11 or 6'0?
First tweet I saw said 6-0, but I've mostly been seeing 5'11 since.
Eh, she's probably still growing, as exceptionally tall people tend to do in late adolescence.
stu
By looking at all the empty seats I'm sure she'll appreciate the huge crowds at Cal games.
Schroeder71
The new Swedish guard looks like a hard worker w/ solid fundamentals. Her drives impressed me the most. Nothing exceptional about the rest of her game. She may have difficulty with the speed of the Pac 12. Passing is ok, outside shooting decent and free throws solid.

Cal will have six freshmen, four sophomores and one senior on scholarship, correct? Hopefully-the ten youngsters can grow and improve together as a team. I'll keep my fingers crossed. GO BEARS!
wbbilluminati
omg awesome!
IssyBear
Just judging her basic skills, I think Alma as a freshman will provide across the board improvement on Sara's post injury play of last year. I like the Lauren Grief comparison. Good addition.
wvitbear
The two walkons had scholarships this year. And if they have left overs next year then I expect we will give them two again.
puget sound cal fan
That's an impressive collection of talent, particularly when combined with the returning Bear sophomores. Charmin & Co. will be pressed to coach and develop these players into a cohesive and productive team. Should be fun to watch.
HoopDreams
IssyBear said:

Just judging her basic skills, I think Alma as a freshman will provide across the board improvement on Sara's post injury play of last year. I like the Lauren Grief comparison. Good addition.
Lauren Grief is an okay comparison in that both seem like fundamental, hard working, high hoops IQ players. However Sara looks like a better shooter, and I think is a bigger guard

I don't think Alma will be a successful slasher, and not overly impressed with her passing, but I don't think she will play PG for Cal, except perhaps in a pinch

As a freshmen, I think Alma will add depth and will play depending on matchups. I don't think she will play the heavy minutes that this year's freshmen played, especially with the emergence of Crocker

By her junior year, I'd expect her to be a major rotation player
IssyBear
HoopDreams said:

IssyBear said:

Lauren Grief is an okay comparison in that both seem like fundamental, hard working, high hoops IQ players. However Sara looks like a better shooter, and I think is a bigger guard

I don't think Alma will be a successful slasher, and not overly impressed with her passing, but I don't think she will play PG for Cal, except perhaps in a pinch

As a freshmen, I think Alma will add depth and will play depending on matchups. I don't think she will play the heavy minutes that this year's freshmen played, especially with the emergence of Crocker

I don't mean to knock Sara, as I think she tried very hard and she may have been hampered by her 2-years off recovering from her back problems, but she was not a good shooter this past season. She had a .362 FG % and a .281 3 pt. %. In addition, she led the team in turnovers and her lack of quickness hampered the teams defense. Despite this, she averaged the 3rd highest number of minutes played/game. To my eye, Alma is quicker, more fundamentally sound defensively and is much better going to the basket than Sara was last year. Alma also appears to be a better (smarter) passer and is a competent (not great) shooter from 3. As for size, Sara is listed as 5'-11" and so is Alma. From the video, Alma looks every bit that tall. My point was that Alma's ball handling, scoring and defense all look to be better than Sara's was last year.

You may be right about her early playing time, but she seemed to be a confident leader on the Swedish team. That moxie might get her on the court sooner than one would expect, if her game can translate well to PAC-12 play and playing against taller players. I think she can do it and will part of the rotation this coming season.
pearbear
From the highlights, what's not to like? Finishes with both hands, good size and strength, quick feet...

If we're dreaming when making comparisons, why not OSU's Mikayla Pivec? Maybe not rebounding (as Pivec is exceptional at that, esp for her size), but in terms of all-around skill set...
HoopDreams
IssyBear said:

HoopDreams said:

IssyBear said:

I don't mean to knock Sara, as I think she tried very hard and she may have been hampered by her 2-years off recovering from her back problems, but she was not a good shooter this past season. She had a .362 FG % and a .281 3 pt. %. In addition, she led the team in turnovers and her lack of quickness hampered the teams defense. Despite this, she averaged the 3rd highest number of minutes played/game. To my eye, Alma is quicker, more fundamentally sound defensively and is much better going to the basket than Sara was last year. Alma also appears to be a better (smarter) passer and is a competent (not great) shooter from 3. As for size, Sara is listed as 5'-11" and so is Alma. From the video, Alma looks every bit that tall. My point was that Alma's ball handling, scoring and defense all look to be better than Sara's was last year.

You may be right about her early playing time, but she seemed to be a confident leader on the Swedish team. That moxie might get her on the court sooner than one would expect, if her game can translate well to PAC-12 play and playing against taller players. I think she can do it and will part of the rotation this coming season.
sorry, my typo. I meant to say Alma (not Sara)
pearbear
bearwbbfan said:

She (#14) and Ornela (#13) played each other this summer

It was fun to see them matched up a few times.

Elsnitz made an impact whenever she's on the court. Doesn't take plays off. There was one play where her drive got swatted (but Sweden oboards) and she comes back on the court ready for the next sequence, which ends with her hitting an open corner 3. Nice.
IssyBear
HoopDreams said:

IssyBear said:

HoopDreams said:

IssyBear said:

sorry, my typo. I meant to say Alma (not Sara)
Thanks, that now makes sense.
annarborbear
pearbear said:

From the highlights, what's not to like? Finishes with both hands, good size and strength, quick feet...

If we're dreaming when making comparisons, why not OSU's Mikayla Pivec? Maybe not rebounding (as Pivec is exceptional at that, esp for her size), but in terms of all-around skill set...
You may be thinking of Cazorla, the former Oregon player from Spain, and who played one year in the WNBA. Pivec grew up in Washington and was more of a known quantity when OSU recruited her, and was also an outstanding track athlete. But I would take either one.
pearbear
annarborbear said:

pearbear said:

You may be thinking of Cazorla, the former Oregon player from Spain, and who played one year in the WNBA. Pivec grew up in Washington and was more of a known quantity when OSU recruited her, and was also an outstanding track athlete. But I would take either one.

I was (wishful) thinking more of skillset than pathway/origin story. But I agree that Cazorla would also be a great comp!
UrsineMaximus
I like watching a player when the ball is NOT in their hands. How and where do they move? Elsnitz, once the ball is on its way to the basket, is moving to position herself for a rebound. Both on offense and defense. What a player does w/o the ball is key and Elsnitz has that "it" factor.
annarborbear
One more thing to like is that she left her family in Stockholm three years ago to go to a school in northern Sweden that trains their best basketball players. She has made a commitment to the game, and that does show in how she plays.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.