Marisa Davis-Jones

5,322 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by puget sound cal fan
SFCALBear72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
According to Raoul's WBB Blog, we have offered Marisa Davis-Jones, a 6'1" Wing from Arizona (Valley Vista HS), for 2021.

Her offer list is all over the map: Arizona, Clemson, Columbia, Notre Dame, Utah, Washington State, Pacific, Duke, Loyola Marymount, Colorado State among others.

Digging a bit deeper, I found that she will be announcing her college choice on Monday June 1 at Noon.
wvitbear
Won the Arizona state championship. 29-3. She averaged 22 points a game and was captain of the team. Looks like a good get on the face of it.
annarborbear
Watched a video. Another player with one of those low release points on her shots that is left over from when she was younger. But really leaps well, handles well, and is very quick to the basket.
Baygbear
Her teammate, Jennah Isai, visited Cal also. She's ranked #54 on Hoopgurlz for the class of 2022 but I'm not sure if she holds and offer from Cal. Does anyone know?
Intuit
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Marisa+Davis-Jones&docid=608045391788771854&mid=4F5B35215F530403481C4F5B35215F530403481C&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Marissa Davis-Jones -- Workout Video

Junior year highlights She's quick down the court and up in the air

Schroeder71
Is Cal a finalist for Davis-Jones? I watched three of her videos and she possesses a high basketball IQ. Marissa knows how to get body position on her opponent. She prefers driving to her right and doesn't use her left hand often. Valley Vista was the #1 team in Arizona and they return everyone (100%). I'm concerned that she could get all the inside post-ups and layups in the Pac 12 at 6-1. She does not shoot over her head often but mostly chest high. Davis-Jones has good foot speed and plays solid defense. The Bears will take her to kick-off their 2021 Class. I would guess that Marissa would either play SFor SG at the next level. GO BEARS!
SFCALBear72
Schroeder71 said:

Is Cal a finalist for Davis-Jones? I watched three of her videos and she possesses a high basketball IQ. Marissa knows how to get body position on her opponent. She prefers driving to her right and doesn't use her left hand often. Valley Vista was the #1 team in Arizona and they return everyone (100%). I'm concerned that she could get all the inside post-ups and layups in the Pac 12 at 6-1. She does not shoot over her head often but mostly chest high. Davis-Jones has good foot speed and plays solid defense. The Bears will take her to kick-off their 2021 Class. I would guess that Marissa would either play SFor SG at the next level. GO BEARS!
This is not known from Raoul's WBB Blog. Only a list of all her offers was published. Home state school, Arizona, will be tough to beat for her commitment. Likewise, Duke and Notre Dame. We'll know June 1.
HoopDreams
looks like an undersized post player, but fast and bouncy

would be a great defender if we pressed/trapped

not a shooter

Reminds me of Evelien, who I like

wbbilluminati
funny I think I just was reading about her on a Duke board last night and saw April followed her on twitter but did not know that she held a known offer.

i thought she looked great on video in the sense that you can tell she's long and athletic, tho i also noticed the kind of funny release of her shot.

reminds me of Madison Scott who visited UCLA last year before picking Ole Miss, also considered a bouncy and long tweener of sorts.

wbbilluminati
kjimenez707 said:

Her teammate, Jennah Isai, visited Cal also. She's ranked #54 on Hoopgurlz for the class of 2022 but I'm not sure if she holds and offer from Cal. Does anyone know?
I'm guessing Isai has an offer from Cal (and I kind of think from all the Pac-12's). But she's still a year away and coming back from an injury. But at the very least I think every Pac-12 is very aware, interested, and actively recruiting her.
wbbilluminati
Anybody know anything about Maya Hoff 6'1" guard from Oregon? ranked #52 by ASGR for 2021
3Cats4CAL
Seems like anyone any good from Oregon either will go to Oregon no matter how many guards they have stockpiled there or to Stanford
SFCALBear72
Marisa Davis-Jones committed to Duke today.
wvitbear
Just listened to the whole thing. Didn't see the action flashbacks. Interviews were slightly different for each player. Look like a fun bunch.
wbbilluminati
SFCALBear72
Do you think we'll recruit her again? Or have we moved on?
wbbilluminati
SFCALBear72 said:

Do you think we'll recruit her again? Or have we moved on?
I'm sure she would still easily have an offer again for Cal if she wanted to consider us again
puget sound cal fan
I hope Cal has reconnected with Davis-Jones. Agree she'd make a solid off guard for the Bears.
wvitbear
Ironically, I found one of my old frat brothers is a wBBall fan at Duke. So I posed him a question about the four who left and came back with a slightly different take. The coach offered them a chance to reopen their recruting. And four decided to do it. She is hoping to resign some of them. Puts her in al little bit better light.
ClayK
"Reopen their recruiting ..."

That sounds a lot like what happens in high school when they want to change coaches but don't want to fire someone. They "reopen the position" and let the old coach re-apply. Oddly, the old coach never gets re-hired.

Kara Lawson is clearly going to go her own way at Duke, and if those players didn't get the message already, they will once practice starts.
Ashfield63
ClayK said:

im"Reopen their recruiting ..."

That sounds a lot like what happens in high school when they want to change coaches but don't want to fire someone. They "reopen the position" and let the old coach re-apply. Oddly, the old coach never gets re-hired.

Kara Lawson is clearly going to go her own way at Duke, and if those players didn't get the message already, they will once practice starts.
I read where the person from Australia speaking for their new recruits said the players were devastated. It didn't seem like they were going to be playing for Duke in 2021. I would think Duke would honor Sara's signing for the 2020-2021 WBB season. The question is: will Australia permit the student athletes playing in the U. S. to leave the country in light of Covid-19 restrictions.
GGV
puget sound cal fan
Davis-Jones' athleticism and quickness remind me a little of the incoming frosh from Washington, Daniels. Davis-Jones' game video mostly show her offense in the low block, or driving to the hoop. Her outside jumper is not shown in the game video, although it's featured in her workout video. If she's being pursued as a SG or SF, at 6'1", the perimeter jumper is a key requirement for either position. It would be useful to see her jumper in game video. I agree with S71 that she needs to develop her left hand, particularly, for use in her game driving to the hoop and in the low block.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.